Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Part 2 reveal (post Q1 results CC)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Swampgator

Apr 27, 2016
Florida
Reading though some of Elon's comments it appears the design team will have nailed down the final spec by the end of June. With this in mind, I'm thinking he does Part 2 of the reveal toward the end of THIS year and then opens up the configurator for the preorders. This way Tesla and it's parts suppliers will know what they are looking at producing and have a 6-9 month lead time to meet those deliverables.

I have no idea when they are going to do the part two reveal. I agree the timing has more to do with excitement and publicity rather than when they nail down the final specs.

There is no reason to open the configurator early, because they know ahead of time which configurations they are going to be building first. They know there will be enough people who want any configuration they choose to build first to fill the pipeline for a while.

Too bad no one on the CC asked him when part 2 of the reveal would be (though I understand the questions are more financial in nature). But, had he been asked he would have at least have given a general answer. Maybe someone with a Twitter account can ping him. :)

I'd like to see some thoughts about Part 2 of the reveal... What do you guys think is the trick up Elon's Sleeve? He's sure there will be even more interest in the Model 3 after Part 2. We've had discussions around autonomous driving and HUDs, but if it wasn't those what else could it be? What is the Model 3 "one last thing" moment?

I'd like to see some thoughts about Part 2 of the reveal... What do you guys think is the trick up Elon's Sleeve?

Ability to advance your delivery position in the queue to the front by prepaying the base price of the Model 3. MyTesla is opened up to accept the $34,000 payment via CC. He does need money for capital expansion......

• Funny
Reactions: newtman
My WAGs:

Battery capacity options
Supercharging (default or optional)
Autopilot details (hardware/software)
Ludicrous mode (confirmation)
"Spaceship" steering mechanism
Roof panel options (glass, metal, panoramic)
Bioweapon Defense mode (option)

Super speculative/wishful thinking: Body panels not made of aluminum or steel

Not revealed: Prices for the above or any other configurations.

Last edited:
Reactions: TaoJones
I still think the second reveal will not be until September-ish 2017
and expect to see beyond what we know for sure:

HUD (I've been convinced of this since 3/31, so would be pretty surprised if it's something else)
swoop the dash toward the display to conceal the bracket (as was done between the X prototype and final)
at least 2 battery choices (I know, I went way out there with that one)
fewer interior options than the S/X (would guess a light and dark dash color, the dark fabric and a light and dark leather (or gag vinyl))
not too spaceship-like wheel (I don't want to constantly explain to passengers how a spaceship works)
at least one new paint color (one can hope, and I hope if there is one, it's not matte black)
two wheel sizes, but not going to guess if they will keep with the center mount
the updated 'signature' tesla nose
an updated iPhone (android) app (I've not used it, but according to the app store reviews, it REALLY needs it)

I am sure there are a dozen other things I've convinced myself the final version would have, but this is what comes to mine ;)

I'm not convinced that the second reveal will be any later than around this time next year. Here's a quote from the earnings call yesterday:

Elon Musk: We want to have parts of production tooling starting in April next year so we've got three months of validation for a normal start of volume production in July.​

July is when they hope to start real production. It may be slow at first, but they must have had a reveal at this point since they need the first orders to have been placed. There aren't any founders this time to get a secret configurator prior to final reveal. I would expect a final reveal in March or April of 2017. I think it's quite deliberate they picked this time this year for reveal part 1.

The only question in my mind is if the final reveal is part 2 or if that is a separate event (which would then happen sometime this year instead). I think it's very possible that this would be a separate event since Elon said shortly after part 1 that he didn't expect this many orders until after part 2. I doubt he wanted orders to come in only a month or two prior to production, but possibly as a teaser to keep up interest.

Reactions: Luke42
What do you guys think is the trick up Elon's Sleeve? He's sure there will be even more interest in the Model 3 after Part 2

• Finished interior
    • No need for fancy joysticks (oh god please no) but some fancy approach to traditional ICs (I'll leave open if it's HUD or whatever)
  • Product details
    • Battery details and performance figures
  • Pricing details
    • To some degree, but roughly ballpark figures and what sort of option packages to expect and what's included in base car
I honestly think that these would be big enough to create more buzz and interest.

Reactions: Luke42
In a sentence I think reveal 2 will be everything else not confirmed in reveal 1. It is unlikely Elon will keep us guessing beyond reveal 2 so this will be a chance to see and hear full details about production Model 3.

As for speculation of a wagon, c'mon what is the logic in that really? Who in the right mind would talk about a new variant in a middle of revealing Tesla's most anticipated car? We might hear comments suggesting there will be a Gen 4 car but most of us already know that.

Last edited:
As to the HUD or the display in general...anyone know if there are mandates stating the minimal amount of information displayed? We always assume that it will display what we are used to seeing in a car but I wonder if there are any federal guidelines mandating a certain amount of info.

Dan