Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Part 2 reveal (post Q1 results CC)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think part Deux will include larger capacity battery option with longer range (~300mi), and a performance variant (3sec +/- , 0-60 times). These two options will excite a new group of buyers. If tesla delivers on these two points, you may see orders close to double. Keep in mind, depending on battery cost at the time of production, what will come "standard" from part Un may change as well.

I think part Deux will include larger capacity battery option with longer range (~300mi), and a performance variant (3sec +/- , 0-60 times). These two options will excite a new group of buyers. If tesla delivers on these two points, you may see orders close to double. Keep in mind, depending on battery cost at the time of production, what will come "standard" from part Un may change as well.

On the quarterly call, Elon said something to the effect of they expect demand to soar once people see what the car is capable of and are able to do a test drive. I think most people already know it will have ludicrous, since it's been widely reported after Elon's tweet confirming it, so I have to think there is going to be more to the Part 2 than 0-60 times. I think it's also assumed there will be a larger battery option, and that it will be on par with (or somewhere between) the ranges offered on the Model S.

So I'm hoping part 2 is going to be something else that is going to blow everyone's mind. Maybe it's more autonomy. Maybe it's something we haven't even considered.

• Love
Reactions: malcolm
Hoping for news on this:
Prices of each option or packages-depending on how they decide what's best for production speed.
3 battery choices 59kw 69kw 79kw (I would love to call my 3 a 369d ----355 or 375 just sounds well... bad)
since he's spelling sexy why not have a 3 69dude?!
I hope the pano roof, dual motor, price is low or in my price point of 45k as well as SC- we will have to see if we will pay for it or not-please not arguments about this comment-no one knows for sure.
p and l models are for the youth who feel they need to show off-not for me but to those thanks for buying them to support
tesla's long term goals. Hope you don't get slapped with serious luxury taxes.
HUD HUD HUD and gesture control please -standard.
Just keep the hud out of the main view of the 3 cars in front of us-put it low or left-thanks.
There are a lot of options I just don't care about-like leather, tow hitch, upgraded wheels-something I'll never understand-, etc. ; However, I do hope he answers all those question for everybody.
As for the date of this info: my best guess is Oct-November. This will allow 9 months for those that ordered on the first day time to think about what options we want and how much we want to pay.
Remember, we'll need to tack on 1000 delivery, taxes, fees, etc and of course the wall charger installations for our homes if we don't already have one.

Improved drivetrain efficiency and battery chemistry provides improved range from a smaller battery (which we knew already from the 215-miles-from-a-sub-60kWh comments)

Impressive range and performance options available.

Only advanced tech is a (widescreen?) HUD*

*safe levels from the Tesla hubris-meter

Timing for Part 2 won't? shouldn't? happen until the 3's production ramp-up is much more clearly defined.

What exactly is in the tesla wall charger? Is it more than just a nice looking package for your garage charging?

I will likely put in a 220v line in my garage. I assume all I need is an adapter to go from that plug to the car?

The "adapter" you need is an EVSE (Electric Vehicle Supply Equipment), which is basically a fancy switch that lets the actual charger in the car control when current is flowing. Both the UMC (Universal Mobile Connector, aka mobile "charger" that comes with the car) and the HPWC (High Powered Wall Connector, aka wall "charger") are EVSEs. There are two advantages to the HPWC. 1) As you say it's a nice looking fixed package, and some people like to carry their UMC in the car. 2) It supports more than 40amps (up to 80 amps), which is the limit for the Model S UMC. We don't yet know how many amps the Model 3's charger will support.

"I have a 355d" just sounds lame. It sounds like you're making change. I like porsche 914 /911/901/959/944. There is nothing wrong with a non 5 ending. It's all about the kw. 'yeah I have a 369d' just sounds awesome and rolls out of the mouth. But whatever, we'll find out in the near future. I know you're basing it on the past cars, but this is a new product with a different focus. Just think of all the license plates that could be made because the 69 is the model of the car. I already have my plates but just think of the advertising slogan 'get UR sExy 69 today'. I know I'm probably just dreaming. Oh well.

• Disagree
  • Love
Reactions: RIZE and SW2Fiddler
Based on Elon's optimism about the "super next level" reveal part II, I'm sensing that something huge is in the cards. I agree with a lot of the predictions on this thread about HUD, autopilot, battery pack sizes, advanced steering/controls, specific options/pricing, and increased performance/range - all of which will certainly boost demand.

However, I think there is something much bigger than all of that. I'm confident that it will be the introduction of a crossover, a simpler/cheaper Model X (model Y?), which could almost double the demand when combined with everything I mentioned above. I think that this event will be similar to how the S and X prototypes were revealed, then revealed again upon Founders deliveries. So my prediction is that Tesla will have the reveal part II as they roll out initial deliveries in Q3 of 2017, where they also introduce the crossover variant and introduce everything excluded in the first part of the reveal.

"There is nothing wrong with a non 5 ending. It's all about the kw.
I didn't say there's anything wrong with it. I just don't think we'll see it from Tesla in the near future.

In part because they likely don't want to draw attention to the "how much capacity does an 85 kWh have vs. an 90 kWh" discussion that's been bubbling up a little on TMC. If they start getting smaller increments (rather than "large" increments of 5), it becomes more important to specifically detail how they measure and rate capacity.

"Just think of all the license plates that could be made because the 69 is the model of the car.
Comes across to me as juvenile and off-putting. Different strokes, I suppose.

I'm not above the "occasional numerical joke", but it just isn't something you want to bake into the product line and public discussion about Tesla as a company and as an "EV first mover of significance". The "letter joke" from Elon has already had a somewhat negative affect on the brand in this regard, IMO.

Thanks Greg:)

If I'm not planning on going more than 40amps then the Tesla Wall charger is probably overkill?
That's correct. You can get a 40-amp EVSE from a number of suppliers. It should be installed on a 50-amp circuit breaker. I have one from Leviton at my house that replaced my free Blink charger from their initial pilot program (for the intro of the Nissan Leaf). Having a non-brand-specific EVSE is useful if you want to charge any other kind of EV or PHEV with a J1772 plug. I've had my Model S and Toyota RAV4 EV for 2 years and EVs for 5 years. I've used various Destination Chargers, Superchargers and L2 Chargers away from home occasionally but I, personally, haven't ever really needed to extra speed of charging beyond 40-amps at home.

That's correct. You can get a 40-amp EVSE from a number of suppliers. It should be installed on a 50-amp circuit breaker. I have one from Leviton at my house that replaced my free Blink charger from their initial pilot program (for the intro of the Nissan Leaf). Having a non-brand-specific EVSE is useful if you want to charge any other kind of EV or PHEV with a J1772 plug. I've had my Model S and Toyota RAV4 EV for 2 years and EVs for 5 years. I've used various Destination Chargers, Superchargers and L2 Chargers away from home occasionally but I, personally, haven't ever really needed to extra speed of charging beyond 40-amps at home.

Or, like me, you just use the UMC and don't bother installing anything at all.

Reactions: dgpcolorado
What exactly is in the tesla wall charger? Is it more than just a nice looking package for your garage charging?

I will likely put in a 220v line in my garage. I assume all I need is an adapter to go from that plug to the car?
A couple of benefits of the UMC are that you don't have to pay to have it installed and if it breaks, you can easily swap it out yourself.

Or, like me, you just use the UMC and don't bother installing anything at all.
True. I think the UMC has a different connector type than my 50-amp plug, so I don't use it. I guess I could buy an adapter and it would save me the issue of having to use the J1772 adapter and open the charge port manually. I don't think I've ever actually had to use my UMC in the wild.