Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Part ex UK M3. Pathetic.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got my model 3 ready to be collected next week. But Tesla are unable to give me a part ex quote due to a system migration.

It's really frustrating as I'm now being told it likely won't happen (at all?). The delivery call centre are very apologetic but I now need to decide whether or not to pay full deposit and then use WeBuyAnyCar etc which is costing me time and hassle which is frustrating on a £40k car.

Really taking a shine off the whole experience. So frustrating.

You would not have got the best price on your car anyway. They will simply offer book and then throw it out to auction.

Your are better off , depending on how old your car is, going to a manufacturer dealer or putting it on Wizzle.

Reactions: tess19
I got a much better price for my old car from Arnold Clark - sold it to them the week before and picked up a cheap hire car for a few days which I dropped off at Heathrow on the way to pick up my new toy. Bit of a faff but well worth it for the £1000+ I saved over trading it in.

Another vote for Arnold Clarke - much better price for my four year old Merc than anywhere else I could find (within a few hundred of the Parkers guide private sale price, which I always feel is optimistic anyway). They have two or three Mercedes dealers so they tend to keep mercs in-house. I actually found mine listed for sale on their website, at a bit over £2k more than they paid me, which seems very reasonable.

I got a much better price for my old car from Arnold Clark - sold it to them the week before and picked up a cheap hire car for a few days which I dropped off at Heathrow on the way to pick up my new toy. Bit of a faff but well worth it for the £1000+ I saved over trading it in.

I used Arnold Clark too, very painless and much better price than Tesla

I mentioned in another thread that I had a part ex offer from Tesla that was a couple of thousand lower than that from either WBAC or Wizzle. No great hardship to use either of those, TBH, as WBAC has a local place (10 miles away) and a couple of calls from Wizzle said they'd pick the car up from me.

They are on hold until I get a delivery date, then I'll probably chop the old car in and get a one way hire car to Heathrow when I go to collect the M3. Still better value than a Tesla trade-in and less hassle, I expect.

The advantage of Tesla trade in is that they will probably honour the trade in value if any delays. They did with ours, to the point that, a week before trade in, the 9k service light came on. Tesla said not to worry, they would take it as is, and they did. That, and waiting so long for car, 5 months, the WBAC quoted price that started 10% higher than Tesla, ended up much less, and that was before WBAC took their cuts and kicked the tyres. Ours wasn't a hugely valuable trade in, but it worked out convenient in the end - drive in old, hand over keys and docs, drive home in new.

Curious thing with WBAC is that they emailed me with a higher offer price a couple of days ago. Not sure whether this was a sales tactic or whether the car really has increased in value - seemed very odd if it has.

I just traded a 2007 Golf GTI with low miles to Tesla, and it was so smooth and seamless I'm really glad I did it. I had Money4YourMotors come and do their evaluation which took a good hour, and by the time they made their final offer it was £800 less than the original online quote, so it ended up being just £200 over what Tesla were offering. Given the difference was so small, and it meant I wouldn't have to arrange other transport on collection day, plus I got the use of my old car until the end, it was an easy decision.

I arrived, handed the keys over to a friendly employee, and 5 minutes later I was signing the sale agreement. So easy!

Curious thing with WBAC is that they emailed me with a higher offer price a couple of days ago. Not sure whether this was a sales tactic or whether the car really has increased in value - seemed very odd if it has.
WBAC over the course of the last two months have been emailing me different amounts. I don't believe a word of it, they just want to hook you into actually showing up and only then will the real price be revealed. At least Money4YourMotors came to my house so it was a very minor inconvenience.

The advantage of Tesla trade in is that they will probably honour the trade in value if any delays. They did with ours, to the point that, a week before trade in, the 9k service light came on. Tesla said not to worry, they would take it as is, and they did. That, and waiting so long for car, 5 months, the WBAC quoted price that started 10% higher than Tesla, ended up much less, and that was before WBAC took their cuts and kicked the tyres. Ours wasn't a hugely valuable trade in, but it worked out convenient in the end - drive in old, hand over keys and docs, drive home in new.
Tesla honoured the very first valuation I did with them in June (I traded in/collected two days ago)!

I was quoted a ridiculously low figure by Tesla affiliated British car auctions. A work colleague recommended Webuyanycar.com and they were quick, efficient and gave me £ 2,000 more than had I traded in with Tesla. So I took the train to West Drayton and drove my new Tesla 3 home. Easy and £ 2k better off.

I am trying to shift my car before I pick up the M3 on lease. no trade in with Tesla so going to all the usual suspects. CarBuyingGroup offered me £1k less than online after they took some more details. I just laughed at him and told him no way.
He phoned back after 'speaking to the team' and offered me £500 more. I told him it was the offer on line or else I will sell elsewhere.
I expect the same rigmarole from WBAC. Selling privately will always get more money than these guys offer but there is the hassle factor to consider. I guess they think everyone is a distressed seller. I am fortunate enough to not need to money to buy the new car.

I am sure I will end up at WBAC but I also expect they will knock me down from the online price. Car is in really great condition but its a few years old so its not perfect. Id just love to see a Tesla valuation so that I can see how close they are etc.

I didn't try Tesla for trade-in as I'd heard too much about poor valuations. I was going to use a trade in site (name escapes me) which got dealers to bid for your car but they went pop just before my M3 arrived. Pity as they were highly recommended. Then I tried WBAC which was dire and just kept spamming me with ever decreasing valuations. They also suckered my mate in and tried to knock loads more off when he attended. Cr@p like lightly scratched alloy and servicing outside of the main dealer network. I'd never go near them again to be frank. Next I tried a couple of independent dealers and got better valuations but not what I expected to be honest. My car was in great condition and very low mileage but it counted for nothing.

So in the end I traded my car (VW CC) and the missus's VW Up for a brand new Up turbo at the local VW dealer. I ended up paying a few hundred quid to put a new car on the drive next to the Tesla and all worked out quite nicely. I was able to get a good price on the new Up and half decent trade-ins too. But you have to be prepared to walk at the main dealers too as they always start by talking cr@p when it comes to money.

I did however learn that a) car dealers will invariably try to have your trousers down b) WBAC are dire and c) what you think your car is worth probably isn't correct!

Good luck to all those part ex'ing and be creative when it comes to selling if you can.