Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Part fell off charge port cover!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

SabrToothSqrl

Dec 5, 2014
PA
so... found this in my garage... appears to have been loosely glued to the underside of the charge port...

30771805_10214039347910618_1361342454_o.jpg 30825285_10214039349510658_737813782_o.jpg

so... superglue...?

• Informative
Reactions: cwerdna
Mine fell off as well. Now the door won’t open when you press on it, and have to resort to using the screen or the app to open the charge port door.

My assumption is that it gives a signal, potentially a capacitive change, that signals the door press. I haven’t glued it back in yet. Perhaps I’ll do a test with double sided tape. Mobile service is already coming out soon to fix some issues we had at delivery, so I notified Tesla about this so they can have the glue needed to reattach it permanently when they come out.

FYI: one of the reasons I found the 3M double-sided foam tape useful is because the factory mounting uses an adhesive foam insert. This gives the disc a little "play" on order to pull flat on to the mating port surface and make electrical contact. If you just glue the disc flat inside the port door, it may not end up flush enough o make correct contact when closed.

Wow!

Somebody just did a post (someplace) about how his fell off and, then, his car wouldn’t charge without it. I checked mine and found it missing so was searching for that thread to post about how it hadn’t impacted anything but I had noticed the push to open didn’t work.

Found this thread (couldn’t find his with the video) but shocked to learn the push-to-open feature is actually related to this. Have no idea where the piece may be but will ask the SC about it since push-to-open was working before I took it in for a due bill re-detail and they definitely charged it while it was there.

Thanks!

Mobile tech came to fix wife’s charge port. Told her we “shouldn’t have glued it. “

It shouldn’t have fallen off the car. That’s why you’re here.

Have never used, and see zero use for the push to open feature.

It's useful when using non-Tesla L2 chargers, especially if you have one already installed at home for another EV. Saves you having to select it on a screen or phone.

Thanks for the post, my piece fell out too. Did the mobile tech tell you what the proper way of reattaching it is? Was sure if the mobile tech was saying Tesla shouldn't have glued it in the first place, or that you shouldn't have glued it back.

Had this issue and when the piece was off, couldn't charge car. Also, T logo on charge port was red. Used regular paper glue to reattach as I was short on time and before going super glue route but it never fell off again. Good thing this car is under warranty.

Seems a shame Tesla can't make a car that can survive a car wash... I've had at least 3-4 charge port light rings replaced on my S, and now issues within a week w/the 3... Does CA not have car washes? And don't give me any crap about a car wash. It's a CAR it goes to the CAR WASH. If the car breaks, in a touch less car wash, it's the car's fault.

My 09 Tahoe has 140,000 miles and hundreds of car washes. Zero related issues.

Had an issue related to this today on my 3.
My magnet fell out last week, shortly after delivery and my 3rd time charging. I put it in the cup holders thinking I'd glue it back later. Kinda then forgot about it as i did not experience any negative effects. That is until today.

My car suddenly would not charge and it warned me about the charge port being forced open. Started getting scared id need to take it to service. The T light was red as well. Panic.

I glued the piece of metal/magnet back and that fixed it. Close call there. I'd hate to get stranded somewhere at a charger because of something like that. I'm lucky I did not lose that thing.

Seems a shame Tesla can't make a car that can survive a car wash... I've had at least 3-4 charge port light rings replaced on my S, and now issues within a week w/the 3... Does CA not have car washes? And don't give me any crap about a car wash. It's a CAR it goes to the CAR WASH. If the car breaks, in a touch less car wash, it's the car's fault.

My 09 Tahoe has 140,000 miles and hundreds of car washes. Zero related issues.

Got an 08 Tahoe at 165k still going strong. Though the dash is now cracked to hell. Hope my 3 makes it that far...

• Informative
Reactions: tracksyde