Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Part recall for Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I took my car in and they replaced the "Power Conversion System" as a recall. It took a couple of days for the part to come in and one day to do the repair. In total the covered warranty cost was $1100.

They did not elaborate on the reason for the repair. Just that it was needed.
Wondering if this is related:
First Model 3 motor failure reported
Although it seems delays started prior to Feb 2.

I really feel like Flux Capacitor could solve the problem with excess energy from the overeager acceleration testing.

Last edited:
I took my car in to Santa Clara SC today.
They had huge backlogs of cars 10-15 maybe in queue for service.
My car been sitting outside at the parking lot all day. Hopefully will hear some update tomorrow.

Only 10-15 waiting? That would be a dead day at Portland service. They opened a new larger location a year ago and last time I was there a bunch of newly delivered cars were parked in a vacant lot near the SC/store. There was no parking left on the property.

Curious if they were able to resolve the “sunken” hood issue to your satisfaction? My car has been perfect really except for this issue. I haven’t documented it with Tesla yet. I have vin 17xx. Thanks.

Car has been at the SC since Monday. No real update yet as of today. They said they’re still performing diagnostics on the car remotely. It’s been sitting outside their parking lot too.

Only 10-15 waiting? That would be a dead day at Portland service. They opened a new larger location a year ago and last time I was there a bunch of newly delivered cars were parked in a vacant lot near the SC/store. There was no parking left on the property.

At least 10-15 that I can see outside the SC. This is a pretty big SC that can fit maybe 20 cars or more inside. :) my car has been sitting at the same parking lot outside too for 3 days now.

• Informative
Reactions: cwerdna
For what it’s worth: I sent an email to our SA about the suspension and she confirmed that there is a service bulletin and a “fix” for the overly stiff suspension on some cars. Not all VINs qualify, so something must have changed.

We had the sunken hood fixed during our last visit (and it looks almost perfect now) but some issues remain that need fixing. Those will now be apparently addressed together with the suspension. Dropping the car off tomorrow.

I have a weeks-old 2017 S75 while my 3 is being worked on. I genuinely feel the 3 is the better car.
Why? Because it’s more fun to drive, easier to park, has a quicker touchscreen, better sounding stereo, more comfortable seats, faster acceleration, more range, door pockets, and is $20,000 cheaper? Well ya know what? It doesn’t have a HEPPA filter or a key fob, so you lose. Do I sound bitter?:)

Why? Because it’s more fun to drive, easier to park, has a quicker touchscreen, better sounding stereo, more comfortable seats, faster acceleration, more range, door pockets, and is $20,000 cheaper? Well ya know what? It doesn’t have a HEPPA filter or a key fob, so you lose. Do I sound bitter?:)

Nah, that's not right…

…it's an uncorked S75 so it's quicker than my 3 :D

For what it’s worth: I sent an email to our SA about the suspension and she confirmed that there is a service bulletin and a “fix” for the overly stiff suspension on some cars. Not all VINs qualify, so something must have changed.

We had the sunken hood fixed during our last visit (and it looks almost perfect now) but some issues remain that need fixing. Those will now be apparently addressed together with the suspension. Dropping the car off tomorrow.

What service center did you go to and what was their solution in addressing your hood? Replacement hood? Body shop? Thanks in advance!

What service center did you go to and what was their solution in addressing your hood? Replacement hood? Body shop? Thanks in advance!
Van Nuys. They sent the car to the body shop to have the hood adjusted. I would say it is now 98% aligned throughout (you’ll have to really look for it to see any variation; before the adjustment it stood out immediately). They also adjusted the trunk during the same visit to close more easily (still needs force but far less than before).

Reactions: Cricket88
Called Tesla today about suspension. They stated they have not heard of such a thing. He looked at my vin (car picked up december 26th) and stated the only service bulletin for it was for the power inverter.

Then I mentioned I read it in the forums. He said "sometimes those forum guys know more than we do". I had a good chuckle.

I have to say I have been quite disappointed with the way Tesla is handling the model 3. No one seems to know anything about the car!

Thoughts?

@BigTonyTones , which service center did you call?

The Centinela SC has been great for dealing with a couple of Model 3 issues for us. Absolutely wonderful service, actually.
Iv been dealing with Burbank and Van nuys for all the problems and questions I have been having.
Still dont have a working phone key. Took it in for service and was told to just wait for a firmware fix.

Pretty frustrating. Getting many reboots and the key thing is super annoying. They really need to issue key fobs.

• Informative
Reactions: Andrew
Maybe the reason we haven't seen any additional invites going out in February yet. I saw someone's new car delivery that was on hold, car was there but he couldn't pick up and they couldn't give me an estimate when. Might be related to this and waiting for part.
This past Monday, it didn't strike me as odd that there hadn't been another wave of config invites yet. But we're at that status as of Friday afternoon 2/9 as well. That makes this 17 day stretch the longest yet, in terms of gaps in batch config invites going out. Gotta wonder what's up. Hopefully someone near the factory can swing by and see whether there's again a build-up of inventory in the parking lot as we saw in December before the delivery dam broke loose for January. The absence of config invites is getting really weird. @Troy, any insight?