TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Partial interior pic

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by Chewy3, Jul 8, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Chewy3

Chewy3 If MacGvyer had a beard

[​IMG] I saw this posted on Twitter via model3owners. I don't think I've seen it on here yet.

2. strykeroz

strykeroz Member

It's quite remarkable how legible the screen is with so much daylight sloshing about.

• Like x 1
  3. ummgood

ummgood Member

While I like the openness I am really worried about the all glass roof. I live in Texas and I know that my wife's moonroof is brutal if the shade is open during July/August. I sure hope that glass is as good at reflecting heat as they state it is. I have a coworker with a Model S but I am not sure if it has the panorama roof or not and our CEO has a Model X. I am going to ask them what their impression is.

• Like x 1
  4. alseTrick

alseTrick Member

PhotoSync SPH75

• Like x 1
  5. plankeye

plankeye That Vegan EV Guy

Could it be tinted if was really bad?

6. strykeroz

strykeroz Member

I'd prefer a metal roof with a sunroof if that's an available alternative for the same reason. I can't imagine this would be very practical for half the year here. Great for growing orchids in potentially but ;).

7. rjcbox

rjcbox Member

I reluctantly included the pano-glass roof in our Model S for the same sunlight/heat concerns mentioned above and excessive heating experience in past BMWs & Hondas, plus I never used them much before. Tesla did an amazing job w/ blocking most heat & sun transmission. I now love the pano roof. Sure, it may be a bit hotter in certain climates, but it's virtually a non-issue compared to my original fears.

• Informative x 2
    • Like x 2
  8. lianregnif

lianregnif Member

Is the car's A/C not sufficient to provide adequate interior cooling with a design like this?

Wouldn't this be fine?

9. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

Exactly. If someone buys the Model 3 with the all glass roof and decides that it is too bright, the central glass piece can always be tinted to whatever level they desire. The cost of tinting that piece of glass should be relatively modest.

Keep in mind that the prototype Model 3 vehicles we have seen so far may have less tinting than the production cars will have simply because Tesla wanted to emphasize the glass roof feature. And photographs could make the roof glass look clearer than it is in real life depending on how the camera decided to set the exposure of the image.
    Because the center roof area of the Model 3 is not very large, the Pano Roof option in the 3 will likely take up nearly the entire center roof area. It does in the S, right? (I don't have the Pano in my S). I plan on configuring my Model 3 with the center glass option instead of the metal roof, don't want the Pano. If it makes the interior too bright than I will have it tinted.
    I think it will depend on the climate. I can imagine extreme summer weather, such as in Texas, where the A/C may not be able to keep up on really high temperature days if the car is outside for hours (e.g. 110+ degrees). But in most climates I'm sure the A/C will be fine. Many S owners in Texas have reported that their A/C is adequate even with the Pano Roof, I believe.

10. 3s-a-charm

3s-a-charm Active Member

Good photo. This looks like one of the photo cars (silver?) they have used and that car has very clear windows and sunroof probably for photo purposes. I expect the actual glass will be closer to the Model S glass which has some factory tinting.

11. Warrentt

Warrentt Member

Easy problem to solve is get window tinting for the roof and side windows. I have no problem with pano roof here in NW.

12. alseTrick

alseTrick Member

I am quite certain that Tesla will factory tint both pieces of glass that make up the roof. The smaller center piece of glass over the driver's head will be blackened like on the Model S panoramic roof. The large back window will fade to black at the top like the Model X windshield.

That's why I said SPH75 and not a darker tint that is a significant light reducer.

I'm going to put it on my windshield and likely on all of the factory tint for my 3, and use SPH55 or so on the side windows. Is it possible to splint the tint on the back window, though? Get the 75 on the factory tinted portion and the 55 on the non-tinted portion?

13. Lukas99

Lukas99 Member

Is there new version of the steering wheel? I think the reveal version was a weird eliptical shape made of alcantara. This looks much more like a proper steering wheel... Thoughts?

14. alseTrick

alseTrick Member

Doesn't look like it has any buttons so I'd assume it's the same as at the reveal. The flattened part of the steering wheel was the lower portion that fit just above the lap. And we can't see that in this pic.

15. plankeye

It's the same.
    gallery-1459489411-tb.jpg

16. Lukas99

Lukas99 Member

U r correct guys, thanks!

17. KZKZ

KZKZ Member

Thanks for posting.

Gads, are those A-pillars really that wide!!?? I certainly hope not. Talk about blind spots.

• Like x 1
  18. plankeye

The ones on our Kia Shortage were pretty huge too. Hopefully the M3 ones are at least a little smaller.

19. alseTrick

alseTrick Member

I think they probably look thinner from the driver's seat. But from the angle of the right rear passenger, you see their full thickness. I'm merely suggesting they most likely aren't as thick as they look in that pic, not that they're actually quite narrow.

• Like x 1
  20. KZKZ

KZKZ Member

Yeah, it's hard to tell from just one photo and from one angle.

I'll reserve judgement until I finally get to see it in person!