TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Partial or full XPEL covering?

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by Vigile, Nov 9, 2015.

1. Vigile

Vigile Member

2. Rockster

Rockster Active Member

There's no beating the peace of mind from covering the entire car. If I could have gotten $4500 for the whole car, I would have done it. I paid $3500 for just the front end (back to the windshield) and the roof.

To answer your question, I've not found that there's a lot of visual difference between the covered and uncovered portion. Not once has an observer noticed or commented upon the partial covering.

3. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

My full protection has saved the paint in several places.

4. Jean-Claude

Jean-Claude Local Vendor - Southeast

We've had a number of clients come back months later to have door or rear quarter sections of clear bra replaced. As Rockster said, it's a peace of mind that it gives you.

5. Vigile

Vigile Member

Thanks guys

Might be difficult to come up with another $5000on day of delivery, all.

:)

6. blueberry

blueberry New Member

I went with a package similar to the $1300 option you specified below. All of the high impact areas are covered, so I didn't see any point in paying an additional $3-4K on an entire wrap. I had the choice of XPEL or SunTek, but went with SunTek since the installer said that it would look better on my metallic blue paint.

7. Sm4llz

Sm4llz Member

Best quote i've received was $1300 for xpel but only over up to 24" on the hood. To include full fender and hood the quote goes to $2k.

8. Terra117

Terra117 Member

Then just do the most critical parts now, and complete as finances allow. Any reputable installer will spend quite a bit of time detailing the paint (stripping any wax, clay bar, etc) before wrapping.

9. bancroftc

bancroftc Member

To answer your questions specifically:

1) Rest of the car comes down to peace of mind. I got full front, all doors, rear quarter panels and luggage area done. You will not regret getting more done compared to less as long as you can afford it. Darker cars will probably benefit from a wrap (cosmetically speaking) more than a very light colored car since dark cars tend to show blemishes more. Doors seemed like a priority to me since those are prone to door dings and other types of scratches all of which I've had on previous cars.

2) I can't tell any difference from the parts that are wrapped vs not wrapped. I would argue the wrapped areas actually look better since they resist finger prints and dirt more than naked paint. Looks fantastic.