Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Partial PPF

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looking for thoughts and opinions from anyone who has gotten a partial PPF. I definitely want my front bumper and rockers covered. I'm debating whether or not to just do that or maybe upgrade to a partial front hood job or a full front hood job. The price really jumps going from partial front to full front. Anybody happy/unhappy with a partial job? Comments/advice/suggestions welcome!

I've had the partial PPF before on previous cars, but have a full front on my 3. The partial is definitely more than adequate from a functional standpoint (protecting against chips). However, it looks fine at first, but as things age, you'll notice the line more and more as stuff inevitably gets stuck in the edge of the PPF. Also, PFF has quite a bit of thickness (which is a good thing), so you'll definitely feel the edge as well. If you can afford it, I would definitely go for full front. In addition, I would also not only go for full front, but also wrapped edges.

A lot of my rock hits have been on the hood and windshield due to the 3’s aerodynamics. I’d also recommend doing a full front PPF. I did the entire car myself and already benefited from the rear bumper being protected.

Reactions: XLR82XS
I had partial on my bmw and full front/rockers on my p3d+. I 100% recommend full front. Eventually the line will be more visible and you will develop chips where there is no ppf. I’d also recommend the bottom 1/4 of the doors especially the front doors. I DIY’d that myself after I noticed it starting to get some chips/wear.

I have full PPF on my P3D. But if I were to do a partial, I would definitely do a full frontal. Like others have mentioned, if you do a partial, the edge running across the hood will eventually become more and more visible over time.

If you have no choice but to do a partial, make sure you use proper washing and waxing techniques to avoid trapping wax or dirt under the edge of the PPF, making it more visible.

Here is a helpful video from Larry at Ammo NYC. I agree with nearly everything he says. The only thing I would change is I personally would not get wax anywhere near a partial PPF. I would use a ceramic-infused spray sealant, as there is a much lower risk of the line becoming visible from trapped product along the edge.

Check out time mark 2:10 for instructions on what to do if you get wax trapped along the edge of the PPF.

Hope that helps!

Thanks for the replies everyone. So the consensus seems to be that I need to dig deep into the wallet for the full frontal. Damn!
Regarding the suggestion to do the bottom quarter of the front door, I can definitely see why you'd suggest that but I wasn't sure if that was doable. Maybe they can do from the lower crease down? And if not, maybe from the upper crease down? I just have a feeling that by the time I price that in in might make sense to do the whole car.

I just have a feeling that by the time I price that in in might make sense to do the whole car.

The whole car in Xpel Ultimate Plus ran me about $5,000. Yes, it is a lot of money, but I figure I am going to keep the car for 8 to 10 years. There are tons of posts on the topic. Some think PPF is a waste of money and I can see their perspective. But for me, the peace of mind PPF gives me is worth every penny.

The whole car in Xpel Ultimate Plus ran me about $5,000. Yes, it is a lot of money, but I figure I am going to keep the car for 8 to 10 years. There are tons of posts on the topic. Some think PPF is a waste of money and I can see their perspective. But for me, the peace of mind PPF gives me is worth every penny.

In hind sight...dealing with Tesla paint the past year. If I were to do it again. I’d ppf the whole car as well. Tesla has the softest paint I’ve ever owned.

I paid $3k for full frontal PPF including the bumper and a full tint job (no rockers since the 3 has pre-installed . The job was absolutely flawless and the car looks amazing. I’m planning on keeping the car 5 to 10 years so this made sense.

PPF only makes sense if YOU want the car to look amazing for a long time. If you plan on flipping it, don’t waste your time

Reactions: bigroo42
i posted in previous threads regarding partial PPFs. my full front+rockers on the M3 cost me $1800. my partial on my STi cost me around $1100. get the full front.

here's what a fresh install looks like on an arctic white car (no pearl)"
GFcuhMY.jpg

here's what it looks like after a month:
NiWQTXa.jpg

here's what it looks like after 10 years:
apNiJUE.jpg

the long of the short of it is, you will get wax, dirt, etc., caught at the edges of the film because there will always be residue there. the residue is critical to the integrity of the film's contact with the paint, however it can be a dirt magent. this edge will be less noticeable with darker colored vehicles.

Reactions: Not That M3
the long of the short of it is, you will get wax, dirt, etc., caught at the edges of the film because there will always be residue there. the residue is critical to the integrity of the film's contact with the paint, however it can be a dirt magent. this edge will be less noticeable with darker colored vehicles.

I agree !! Prior to getting full exterior PPF on our 3, I had always gotten the partial coverage. I've accidentally caught the edge many times while claying the car and it is time consuming to get the clay out of the edge. I've also had edge lifting issues on the wing mirror on my NSX and now dirt is trapped under there. I'm going to pull that piece off and re-wrap it myself..

I agree !! Prior to getting full exterior PPF on our 3, I had always gotten the partial coverage. I've accidentally caught the edge many times while claying the car and it is time consuming to get the clay out of the edge. I've also had edge lifting issues on the wing mirror on my NSX and now dirt is trapped under there. I'm going to pull that piece off and re-wrap it myself..
i've found clay to be the bigger enemy than wax or polish. most polishes you can work out with a microfiber. with clay, you're in for a long ride and I usually just give up.

FWIW - most installers will just take a straight edge and "redo" that edge by barely penetrating the film and creating a new edge. this works 90% of the time, but can be dangerous to the paint if you're not skilled.

Any more partial PPF people out there? Would you do it again?

And XPEL Ultimate vs. Suntek Ultra? Anyone have any thoughts on this? I've heard Suntek is a little more glossy and is more hydrophobic. I'm assuming you can't go wrong with either.
NO partial for me ever - on the dozens of cars I owned/own. Annoyance with partial is when you get paint damage just beyond the film. :mad:

Ive used Xpel Ultimate and now STEK on the 2020. Both are great clear films with 10-year warranty and self-healing ability. STEK is hydrophobic.

Did you also do rockers or the area behind your rear tires? If not, do you wish you did?
ABSOLUTELY DO EXTENDED ROCKERS! 3's are so prone to chipping at the hips behind the rear doors that if you're doing rockers it only makes sense to extended up the 1/4 panel. There is a nice rear door body line that the installer can use as a continuing line to help blend it. Can't see mine unless you look closely.