Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Partial Premium Doesn't Come With Ambient Lights?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not sure why this isn't listed on their website when you compare options between the premium and partial premium packages, Ambient Lights isn't mentioned and I am pretty disappointing they are not included with my Partial Premium interior. Has anyone got aftermarket footwell lighting installed? I got down in the footwell and there seems to be a bulb, so if this is just a software upgrade, do it Tesla! Only fair : )

Bumping this as I would like to know as well. I was planning on getting some colored footwell bulbs just to see if it works, I didn't know there were bulbs already. Hopefully someone can chime in.

This is why the SR+ costs less. The Premium Interior costs more, but it has more features . . . .

I understand this. I'm okay with the differences in trims and the pricing. My issue is the lack of transparency when I'm trying to make a decision. I was on the fence between Partial Premium and Premium. Had I known that the Partial Premium didn't have the Ambient Lighting or Floor Mats, I have have reconsidered and gone with the Premium.

So with the partial premium interior, the bulbs for the ambient lights are physically present, but power to the bulbs is not enabled ?

I believe that's correct thanks to Jerick's experiment. It's not a situation where we have unplugged bulbs or bulbs that purposely don't work. Looks like it's just a software thing. It would be nice if you could activate features like this a la carte.

• Disagree
Reactions: Curb71
Does the trunk have lights?

You could probably tap into the 12v socket to run ambient lights, however sometimes updates have the 12v stay on constantly or so I have heard.

I wonder if this is just a bug though. It's the option to turn them on still in the menu?

Reactions: xtcEV
Does the trunk have lights?

You could probably tap into the 12v socket to run ambient lights, however sometimes updates have the 12v stay on constantly or so I have heard.

I wonder if this is just a bug though. It's the option to turn them on still in the menu?

My SR+ trunk has lights. I also have a light inside my center console and puddle lights, but no Ambient Light button on my screen. To my knowledge, the Ambient lights you get with the premium interior will illuminate the footwell and the door's side pocket.

I remember watching a youtube video that indicated he got an error on the screen that the car needed to be serviced when he tapped into a power source. I wonder if tapping into the 12v is what he tried...

• Disagree
I have a SR+ and was actually considering buying the footwell lights from abstract ocean. They specifically mentioned that they do not work on the partial premium interior. I also got in there and looked and noticed there was a light there but don't want to spend $25 the swap it out with the proper light only to find out it still doesn't work. I'll contact abstract ocean and ask if people have already tried. Assuming so which is why they specifically list them for the premium interior only. Apparently this chart didn't make it out very far but I was aware I wasn't getting ambient footwell lights when I purchased my SR+. https://i.imgur.com/Bg32BKL.png

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: jjfash
My SR+ trunk has lights. I also have a light inside my center console and puddle lights, but no Ambient Light button on my screen. To my knowledge, the Ambient lights you get with the premium interior will illuminate the footwell and the door's side pocket.

I remember watching a youtube video that indicated he got an error on the screen that the car needed to be serviced when he tapped into a power source. I wonder if tapping into the 12v is what he tried...

Probably not from the 12v socket otherwise any device plugged into it would throw an error. But done people have said that Tesla had it set to always on with some updates.

I have a SR+ and was actually considering buying the footwell lights from abstract ocean. They specifically mentioned that they do not work on the partial premium interior. I also got in there and looked and noticed there was a light there but don't want to spend $25 the swap it out with the proper light only to find out it still doesn't work. I'll contact abstract ocean and ask if people have already tried. Assuming so which is why they specifically list them for the premium interior only. Apparently this chart didn't make it out very far but I was aware I wasn't getting ambient footwell lights when I purchased my SR+. https://i.imgur.com/Bg32BKL.png

Someone went a tried this.. replaced the working door light with footwell light and still didn't work. I do know that in my SR+, when I briefly open the door the footwell light turned on (do work) for half a second and off altogether afterward. So looks like the software forcing these lights to turn off.

It's possible to tap power from the cubie light (cubie right under the screen) and power the footwell light, hoping someone could try this.

Someone went a tried this.. replaced the working door light with footwell light and still didn't work. I do know that in my SR+, when I briefly open the door the footwell light turned on (do work) for half a second and off altogether afterward. So looks like the software forcing these lights to turn off.

It's possible to tap power from the cubie light (cubie right under the screen) and power the footwell light, hoping someone could try this.
I've only had the car a week but I've never seen the footwell lights actually turn on. Here's the reply I received from abstract ocean.

Do your current footwells work? If they do not, then they are dummy bulbs (well real bulbs, but the software has not enabled them) and ours won't work. If they do work (your current ones) then ours will as well!

christal
Chief Girl | Abstract Ocean

• Disagree
Reactions: jjfash
I've only had the car a week but I've never seen the footwell lights actually turn on. Here's the reply I received from abstract ocean.

Do your current footwells work? If they do not, then they are dummy bulbs (well real bulbs, but the software has not enabled them) and ours won't work. If they do work (your current ones) then ours will as well!

christal
Chief Girl | Abstract Ocean

I think I noticed it when car was at old version 8.3. I don't think I see it on even for briefly now.

When I was ordering a month ago I recall pretty clearly on the ordering page the SR+ didn’t have ambient lights but the MR did. I went with MR since the premium interior seemed worth the additional cost and IMO it definitely is after having it about 2 weeks.

Reactions: michele.bb8
When I was ordering a month ago I recall pretty clearly on the ordering page the SR+ didn’t have ambient lights but the MR did. I went with MR since the premium interior seemed worth the additional cost and IMO it definitely is after having it about 2 weeks.

Where did you see this? The ordering page I used from the Tesla website still doesn't have it listed (Design Your Model 3 | Tesla)

• Disagree
So this evening I got in my car and the footwell lights came on! Yay. However, they then flashed off. It feels software driven as they wouldn’t go back go again. I’m glad to know they work, but I definitely feel the ambient lighting was not described as not included in the SR+. I’m taking my car in to get the homelink garage door opener installed and will be asking if they can fix it. I’ll post more after I learn more.