Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Partial Premium Model 3 perfect for Australians

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Those keeping track of the new model 3 revisions should be particularly interested in the value proposition of the Partial premium model.

It's dubbed the "Standard Range Plus" and it upgrades the Standard range Model 3 to give you MOST of the Premium model features for only $2,000

It's interesting to note what exactly is missing from the partial Premium model because it's mostly stuff that we don't have in the Australian market anyway.

Here's what's missing:

• In-car internet streaming music & media (Australians cant view any visual media)
  • Internet browser (Australian Teslas don't come with an internet browser)
  • Location-aware automatic garage door opener (Australian Teslas don't work with Homelink)
  • Heated rear seats
  • 3D maps on GPS
So apart from the 3d maps on the display and read heated seats, Everything else will be pretty much identical in the Australian premium interior when compared to partial premium interior. I would also assume that the lack of rear heated seats in the model 3 is just a software lock too and there may be a way of getting all of these additional features unlocked down the road if the Australian government ever deicide to allow their use.

Isn't in-car internet streaming music Spotify Premium...? In which case that's not such a small omission (although for $2000 you could argue this point)
You're right! I was just thinking that everyone still has the ability to stream Spotify through their phones over bluetooth. It's not the slickest integration but it works. Either way, I'm trying to find exact details on this because you may be able to still use Spotify through the Tesla directly if you are happy to pay the subscription. I will report back to you guys when I find out the deal on this.

Isn't in-car internet streaming music Spotify Premium...? In which case that's not such a small omission (although for $2000 you could argue this point)
Ok... I have found some information... It seems that you can subscribe and pay a yearly fee. It's called "Tesla Premium Connectivity" and it costs about $100/year US but you will get access to the streaming of music and media as well as Live traffic updates.

there are lots of articles about it, here is one:
https://electrek.co/2018/06/23/tesla-new-paid-premium-connectivity-package-in-car-internet-features/

Anyway... The price to move up to the premium model Tesla is actually the Tesla Mid range. It costs an extra $3,000USD
You are obviously getting more range on your vehicle for that as well as Spotify but if you don't need the range and aren't happy using your phone to push music through bluetooth then it's worth paying the $100 per year because it would take THIRTY years of $100/year to get up to that $3,000 you are paying for the next model up.

Are you sure about this? From everything I have read here, Homelink doesn't work in Australia, There was a bug that showed the icon but it was just a bug and still didnt work.

I would be interested to hear from anyone who has it working though...

Homelink has worked on cars that have the module since about late January. Both my tesla’s which have the module work just fine.
There are a couple of threads you can browse for setting it up if you still have the homelink symbol showing.
A lot of S and X owners have it functioning.

Ok... I have found some information... It seems that you can subscribe and pay a yearly fee. It's called "Tesla Premium Connectivity" and it costs about $100/year US but you will get access to the streaming of music and media as well as Live traffic updates.

there are lots of articles about it, here is one:
Tesla is introducing new paid ‘premium connectivity’ package to support in-car internet features of growing fleet

Anyway... The price to move up to the premium model Tesla is actually the Tesla Mid range. It costs an extra $3,000USD
You are obviously getting more range on your vehicle for that as well as Spotify but if you don't need the range and aren't happy using your phone to push music through bluetooth then it's worth paying the $100 per year because it would take THIRTY years of $100/year to get up to that $3,000 you are paying for the next model up.

Yeah sorry mate, I think that Premium Connectivity subscription fee has been removed since yesterday's bombshell drop. As far as I'm aware, it no longer exists.

Yeah sorry mate, I think that Premium Connectivity subscription fee has been removed since yesterday's bombshell drop. As far as I'm aware, it no longer exists.

Really? Would you mind sharing the link of where you got that info from?

Tesla still has the information on their website about Premium Connectivity and they say that they will be coming out with Model 3 pricing soon.

Frequently Asked Questions - Connectivity

the problem with the premium plus is that its only available for standard range which is quite frankly useless for australia.

I have to disagree with you on this one, standard range is 354kms, I have an S that can and has done 450kms on a charge, on only one occasion have I driven on a road with useful charging points more than 350kms apart and that was in the remote North of the country. Within 3 years there will be enough DC chargers spread 200-250kms apart to satisfy anyone that is remotely organized.

I have to disagree with you on this one, standard range is 354kms, I have an S that can and has done 450kms on a charge, on only one occasion have I driven on a road with useful charging points more than 350kms apart and that was in the remote North of the country. Within 3 years there will be enough DC chargers spread 200-250kms apart to satisfy anyone that is remotely organized.
Agree. The range of the car is fine, Australia needs to keep building its infrastructure like the US and Europe has, to enable us to join them in the transition away from noisy, smelly, planet destroying fossil fuel transportation. There have been some fairly decent advancements in the last 12 months.

I actually think the 3LR is the best, full premium and much more range (50%) for just over $10KAUD and should still be under the luxury car tax even with autopilot although FSD may push it a little over. Hopefully they sort out the Spotify software issues soon though (not sure if 3 has this issue though).

No, but you need the extra range for long range travel at high speeds.

With superchargers ~200km apart there is no issue with long distance travel at legal speeds. My S barely has more rated range than the base Model 3 and I've never had a problem with long distance travel, on the relatively few occasions we do that. The other 99% of the time of course the range is completely irrelevant, so I think a standard range Model 3 is very far from 'useless'.

• Disagree
Reactions: Candleflame