Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Partial Recall announced on blog for Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

XrstalLens

Model S P1327 VIN P01867
Dec 30, 2011
Kirkland, WA
Elon just tweeted this link.

Partial Recall | Blog | Tesla Motors

Here's the text of the post:

After a careful examination, we have concluded that some Model S vehicles manufactured between May 10, 2013 and June 8, 2013 may contain a defect. Specifically, the attachment strength of the mounting bracket for the left hand latch of the second row seat could be weaker than intended. This reduces our confidence that the left hand seat back will be properly retained in the event of a crash. As designed, the striker bracket is both bonded and welded to the vehicle body, either one of which would be sufficient by itself. This is consistent with the primary design goal of the Model S, which is first and foremost to maximize safety. However, we discovered that, due to body side alignment adjustments in the factory, the bonded section of the joint was compromised and the welded section of the joint was weakened in some cars.
We do not wish to cause undue alarm, so it is perhaps worth clarifying that:

• The weld has not actually detached on any car
  • There have been no customer complaints
  • We are not aware of any injuries or near injuries
  • No regulatory agency brought this to our attention
However, given the paramount importance of safety, we would like to reinforce the left striker bracket on cars produced during this period. This work has already been performed on cars that were in the factory, so the recall applies only to cars delivered in mid to late May and early June.
Affected Model S owners will be contacted in the next few days and we will arrange for their car to be picked up, the bracket reinforced and the car returned to their possession. To be clear, the Model S does not need to be brought to our service center by the owner. Tesla will pick up the car at a location of the owner’s convenience, provide a Model S loaner if needed, perform the work and bring the car back to the owner a few hours later.
Apologies for the inconvenience,
Elon

Last edited:
Love this in the blog:

Tesla will pick up the car at a location of the owner’s convenience, provide a Model S loaner if needed, perform the work and bring the car back to the owner a few hours later.

He could have added: ... and if you like your loaner better than your own car, you can keep it and just pay the difference in valuation.

The date of manufacture I believe is printed on a sticker located on the driver side door jam. I'm not near my MS at the moment so I can't check. If memory serves it just lists the month and not the full date. I think I may have just missed being affected by this recall (late April build).

"Adjustments to the alignment of the left hand seat back striker were improperly made through use of hammer force rather than shimming."
"On June 7, 2013, a technician on the assembly line was adjusting the alignment for the newly designed left hand second row seat striker utilizing a slide hammer."
"The use of a slide hammer to adjust door and tailgate strikers is an industry standard method of adjustment"

Sounds like the same way I solve lots of problems when stuff doesn't want to fit quite right...

There are a lot of ways to handle a recall. (I've had to handle a few in my career and will have more, no doubt.) It's never fun. But there are two kinds of manufacturers. One, who says 'yeah, okay, we found a defect and we'll just quietly fix it the next time these cars come in for maintenance - no one will ever know'. And then there are the ones who do the right thing, whether or not someone is watching over their shoulder.

My confidence in Tesla just went up even more.

I am in the date range specified, and thus might be affected... I'll see if I get contacted.

Regardless, bravo to Elon & Tesla for handling this they way they are. I continue to have my confidence bolstered.