TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Partial Recall

Discussion in 'TSLA Investor Discussions' started by LST, Jun 19, 2013.

1. LST

LST Senior Member

On the TM site Elon just published a partial recall of Model S produced between May 10 and June 8. Whilst this is bad news for Tesla, but not dangerous IMO, this will help longs to reinvest at lower prices. Any idea how much setback that kind of info can cause on a highly volatile stock ?

2. cwerdna

cwerdna Active Member

3. CapitalistOppressor

CapitalistOppressor Active Member

Seems like a minor issue that affects less than a month of production. There is no real reason for this to affect the stock price, though I admit the stock is volatile. I'd be shocked if there were a major reaction. It's just a bracket.

4. deonb

deonb Active Member

800 cars times let's say $500 each to fix == $400'000. (Doesn't seem like new parts, and work is performed in a few hours).

Or the profit from about 1/2 a days worth of production.

And if the stockholders have to pay for it, it's about a 1/3rd of a cent on the stock price.

If the market is smart it will be a non-event. Of course there has been no indication of the market being smart so far...

So there will likely be a gap down pre-market, which will present a buying opportunity, followed by a gap fill during market hours once sanity sits back in.

5. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

Smart to announce it before the swap event

6. gameon

gameon Member

yeah I agree. He is smart kind of slip the new in between the good one. Right now, mart is not reacting to this new at all (as if they don't know or care less compare to battery swapping thing)

7. Zaxxon

Zaxxon Member

8. fastcars

fastcars Member

wondering that approach is not going to get any revenue short term or long term (way long here)

9. ShortSlaver

ShortSlaver Member

I think the market is a bit - happy to see this level of service and that's a rather small thing they're fixing on a limited number of cars.

10. wycolo

wycolo Active Member

Shows the process is working like it should be.
    --

11. Alfafoxtrot1

Alfafoxtrot1 Member

Once again, Elon and TM stand above the rest. Contrast their approach with Chrysler's hesitancy to reall the Cherokee in the face of widespread catastrophic failure.

12. gameon

gameon Member

It’s a very proactive approach, yes, but Tesla can afford to do that right now because they are such a small-volume producer. I wonder, as Tesla grows, how it would handle a broader recall, especially without a big network of dealers. Will Tesla be able to give such attentive service?

Also, I was puzzled by this statement in his explanation: “we discovered that, due to body side alignment adjustments in the factory, the bonded section of the joint was compromised and the welded section of the joint was weakened in some cars.” I understand these cars are practically handmade, but that doesn't sound like a well-engineered body — if you have to make adjustments to the alignment that are significant enough to compromise a welded joint, you've got problems. I would love a more detailed explanation, as well as visual evidence of what’s going wrong in the manufacturing process.

13. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

14. Blurry_Eyed

Blurry_Eyed MS Sig #267, MX Sig # 761

Tesla investor guidance is that recall will cost about $150,000. Pretty insignificant in dollar terms. Keep our fingers crossed that the Media spins this positively as a story of Tesla's great response and that it doesn't have any negative brand impact.

15. DaveT

DaveT Searcher of green pastures

deonb, smart call. You nailed it.

16. cwerdna

cwerdna Active Member

I don't have any details but the below are the two associated documents I can find so far from safercar.gov/NHTSA. The NHTSA campaign # is 13V249000.

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/cs/jaxrs/download/doc/UCM440427/RCAK-13V249-2732.PDF
    http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/cs/jaxrs/download/doc/UCM440239/RCDNN-13V249-4963.pdf

17. VolkerP

VolkerP EU Model S P-37

The Difference

What's the difference between Tesla Motors and GM?

at Tesla Motors, avoiding recalls is a design objective.
    at GM, it is an after sales practice.

:wink:

18. Seven7

Seven7 Member

Agreed! This is a voluntary recall by Tesla as opposed to the typical GM recall where GM tries to hide the problem and then deny it's a problem when the .gov insists on a fix.

19. pz1975

pz1975 Member

Geez you scared me! I thought it was a new recall! I had strategies for short-term trading going through my head until I saw the date.

Don't bump like that!! :)

20. mrdoubleb

mrdoubleb Active Member

I know, right? First i thought "oh,s**t, let's read on and see how bad is it". Then I kept reading and I was like "phew, it happened on the 18th or 19th, we are already past it, so no worries"... it took me a couple of minutes to realize this was all in 2013... almost exactly a year ago. LOL.