Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Parts list and instructions to add 2016+ center console into 2012-2016 MS

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On our last road trip I realized we really need second row cup holders and usb charging ports.

I like the "open" front console, so I don't want to go to full integrated console. Just get the "rear seat upgrade!" :)

I managed to find many of the required parts from ebay:

Rest of the parts I bought separately, but found all from ebay at reasonable price.

I didn't buy the wiring harness, I'm planning on tapping a separate +12V -> +5V power supply to feed the rear usbs.

Thanks for this great topic! I'll tell you how it goes. :)
Nice find! That was like three different auctions for me to source those parts. Let us know how it goes. If you don't mind, can you post the cost of the parts you had to buy from Tesla? Always like to have a reference when sourcing parts from third parties.

Oh, I just noticed there seems to be two part numbers for the center console bracket,

1057331-00-E and 1057333-00-E.. they look pretty darn identical in the photos. Anyone know if there is any actual difference?

Edit: 331 is LHD, 333 is RHD. Still looks identical to me. :)
Oh wow. Good catch. My bracket actually came from Lithuania (cheapest price, even with shipping) so I may have ended up with a RHD part and not realized it.

There is a complete RHD centre console really cheap on ebay:

But I have LHD car. But still probably would have gotten all the necessary upgrade parts cheaper than I now paid separately. :)

There is a complete RHD centre console really cheap on ebay:

But I have LHD car. But still probably would have gotten all the necessary upgrade parts cheaper than I now paid separately. :)
Did we decide what the differences are between the LHD and RHD part #'s? Is it a harness length/side issue because outwardly that piece looks the same. As I recall, the arm rests pop off pretty easily and moving the trim over wouldn't be hard either. If I can find a complete unit like that ready to go cheap enough I may be tempted to doing this mod. I know I will end up selling the car(s) like a month later after I do this mod probably anyway.

Did we decide what the differences are between the LHD and RHD part #'s? Is it a harness length/side issue because outwardly that piece looks the same. As I recall, the arm rests pop off pretty easily and moving the trim over wouldn't be hard either. If I can find a complete unit like that ready to go cheap enough I may be tempted to doing this mod. I know I will end up selling the car(s) like a month later after I do this mod probably anyway.

The circled area is not symmetrical, but still I'm not sure if it is mirrored or the same in LHD vs RHD?

console.jpg

But the part I wondered earlier is the internal bracket, inside the rear section. It has different part numbers for LHD and RHD. Can you spot any difference?

LHD part, 1057331-00-E:
3143_835.jpg

RHD part, 1057333-00-E:

bracket.jpg.jpg

They look the same to me. Lower picture has the air tube 1064478-00-B attached but that's the only difference?

I actually ended up buying the RHD part because it was the only one available on ebay and I didn't realize there is a different part. :) So we'll see how it fits eventually..

The circled area is not symmetrical, but still I'm not sure if it is mirrored or the same in LHD vs RHD?

View attachment 653919

But the part I wondered earlier is the internal bracket, inside the rear section. It has different part numbers for LHD and RHD. Can you spot any difference?

LHD part, 1057331-00-E:
View attachment 653920

RHD part, 1057333-00-E:

View attachment 653922

They look the same to me. Lower picture has the air tube 1064478-00-B attached but that's the only difference?

I actually ended up buying the RHD part because it was the only one available on ebay and I didn't realize there is a different part. :) So we'll see how it fits eventually..
While I don't see a difference from that angle my guess would be that any difference would be visible from above or below if there's any curvature variation between the different models, if that makes sense. But from those images & angles I see no difference.

Bah. Finally talked to mrs about this project, and she insisted that we need the full integrated console with the fancy sliding doors in the front. :)

I ordered the RHD part I linked above. I looked at lots and lots of pictures and to me it looks like it must be same part for RHD and LHD. However I think the wire routing is different in RHD which probably explains the part number differences. I'll let you know how it goes.

Anyway I already ordered the stuff required for just rear cupholders and USB, I'll try to sell them once I get them.. I'm in Finland, might not be economical to send them outside Europe.

Bah. Finally talked to mrs about this project, and she insisted that we need the full integrated console with the fancy sliding doors in the front. :)

I ordered the RHD part I linked above. I looked at lots and lots of pictures and to me it looks like it must be same part for RHD and LHD. However I think the wire routing is different in RHD which probably explains the part number differences. I'll let you know how it goes.

Anyway I already ordered the stuff required for just rear cupholders and USB, I'll try to sell them once I get them.. I'm in Finland, might not be economical to send them outside Europe.
This was exactly my guess in post #24 about wiring. Usually there's a reason for a different part # and if it's not immediately visible in the structure it's likely the wiring in terms of length, harness location or even the pinout can be different for different region's wiring harnesses.

Just a quick update, I received the full console. :) It is missing some tiny bits like the storage dividers and USB converter. But USB converter should be included in the cupholder assembly I ordered separately, so I'll wait until i get that as well.

BTW I think many of the part number differences are not because of RHD/LHD, but because of Model X / Model S! Most of the part number stickers show "MX" in the description.

Heh. I ordered the sliding door from Tesla, this part:

1058088-08-A SLIDING LID, OBECHE GLOSS

It should be match for my obeche gloss interior panels.

I got excellent service from my local SC again. First they were curious if I have retrofitted the new console, because the part should not fit my 2013 car. Then there was a problem because this part is listed for Model X only. Apparently there has never been a Model S with new console and Obeche Gloss interior? Tesla's system doesn't allow this part to be sold for my VIN which obviously is Model S and not X.. But SC told me "they will find a way" to sell the part. Probably grab a VIN from some X in the parking lot.. :)

They said it's OK to still cancel the order if it the lid turns out to be wrong color after all, once we actually get the part. I guess I'll go with the Mammoth if that happens. That they have in stock..

Heh. I ordered the sliding door from Tesla, this part:

1058088-08-A SLIDING LID, OBECHE GLOSS

It should be match for my obeche gloss interior panels.

I got excellent service from my local SC again. First they were curious if I have retrofitted the new console, because the part should not fit my 2013 car. Then there was a problem because this part is listed for Model X only. Apparently there has never been a Model S with new console and Obeche Gloss interior? Tesla's system doesn't allow this part to be sold for my VIN which obviously is Model S and not X.. But SC told me "they will find a way" to sell the part. Probably grab a VIN from some X in the parking lot.. :)

They said it's OK to still cancel the order if it the lid turns out to be wrong color after all, once we actually get the part. I guess I'll go with the Mammoth if that happens. That they have in stock..
I'm really interested to see how it goes

Minor setback.. I just received the separate cupholder assembly, which was supposed to contain the USB converter I was still missing.

Apparently there are different versions, or perhaps it's Model S / X difference, but the converter I received does not match the wiring harness in the MX console!

My console wiring harness has all four USB cables routed to the back, together with a rectangular four pin connector that is supplying +12V and ground. Then there is a grey USB which goes all the way to the front, to connect to MCU. Apparently there has been a real USB hub here, so all four ports can be used for memory sticks or game controllers etc.

The USB converter has only two USB outputs, and a different shaped +12V power input. It does not have USB input; so I assume in this model the rear USB's are only for charging.

Anyone have the pinout of the power input connector? There's four pins but probably only two are used, +12V and GND..

wires.jpgconverter.jpg

Reactions: AaronP85
Ah, found a good picture of the connector in this thread:

I guess I can make it work without the connector, just find suitable isolated contacts I can plug into correct pins..

Ok, finished the installation. :)

connector.jpg

First of all, the connector issue mentioned above, was easily resolved with 3.5" floppy drive power connector grabbed from some old PC power supply. It doesn't fit exactly but is close enough so it fits with very minor cutting with a carpet knife. The result fits so tightly that I'm not sure if it's possible to remove it anymore. :) With this trick, you don't need this harness mentioned in the OP:
"1032431-00-E - Wiring harness - $60. You are only buying this harness for the connection that matches up to the USB converter"

Then I removed my old console. I compared my original frame (right) to the new frame from 2019 Model X (left):

frame.jpg

As seen above, there are a few differences. Model X frame has a rectangular hole in front, for the sliding door to slide through. Model S part has much larger "flanges" in the front section. So my choices were, either to cut the rectangular hole to my old frame, or use the MX part and ignore the obvious difference in the shape. :) I chose the latter! I looked very carefully and I think it's only missing one support point for the "kick panel" that attaches to this center console frame. And being made from flexible plastic, I doubt it actually even gives that much support? Anyway it worked out very well with the MX part.

However if you don't buy the entire console, you probably need to modify your existing frame to have the big hole in the front.

Then, I noticed another problem. In previous page @TheFro mentions you need part, 1064478-00-B air duct. Turns out this part is completely different shaped in MX, so the part included in my "complete" console was unusable.

The old style MS console has much longer air pipe that goes directly from the floor to the rear vents. New console has much shorter piece that only connects to the plastic support bracket 1057331-00-E. So I figured I just cut the old duct to proper length:

duct.jpg

Well, it certainly did not work out too well. :) The hole in 1057331-00-E is very different in shape, as seen here:

duct_difference.jpg

The air duct is very soft material, and easy to cut with scissors and knife, and also can be reshaped with a heat gun. After a while I had it installed reasonably well:

duct_modified.jpg

Then I taped it with aluminum tape so there are no holes:

duct_taped.jpg

So it was a bit of a work, but again avoided buying more parts and especially allowed me to finish this project today.

Then I added wires for the +12V supply to the rear USBs. I soldered and shrink wrapped them.. The grey connector is the one that goes to the cigarette lighter. I removed the pins from the connector so I could solder the wires without cutting the original wire.

wiring.jpg

And well, that's it, then it was just reassembly. Few pictures of the finished product, except for the sliding door lid that I haven't yet received from the SC. Sorry for the dirt.. :)

front.jpg

rear.jpg

Oh, the MX rear panel around the air duct had "graphite" surroundings but my car has chrome in other places. I transferred the chrome part from my old console to this one. Also the arm rests and upper trim are obviously from my old console because MX had different color.

The integration looks pretty natural to me! Great progress. Did you have to make any changes to the side leather pieces? As far as I could tell from the diagrams, the clips look the same. Also, imagine if you would have used the original frame, would the new sidewalls have fit on it?

The integration looks pretty natural to me! Great progress. Did you have to make any changes to the side leather pieces? As far as I could tell from the diagrams, the clips look the same. Also, imagine if you would have used the original frame, would the new sidewalls have fit on it?

No changes necessary for the side pieces. And they would have fitted the original frame directly, all the clips are at the same places.

• Informative
Reactions: AaronP85
Really nice work @Zuikkis ! I thought the same thing on the fan connector but could never find a part that would match up. Glad you worked around that one issue! I also forgot about modding the front part of the console to allow the sliding door to pass. I didn't cut mine enough and I'm dreading pulling it back out to cut the back panel a bit more.

Success!!!

Using just the parts above and slightly modifying the existing parts, I was able to retrofit just the rear cup holders and get the USB ports working without the whole center console retrofit. Kids are happy!
You Sir are a genius! I need this in my life. I am book marking this page and will be undertaking this project in due course. I want to have the USB and the cupholders but retain the open from floor from the original cars (which I think is far better than the later ones). Any tips for me to be aware of?

You Sir are a genius! I need this in my life. I am book marking this page and will be undertaking this project in due course. I want to have the USB and the cupholders but retain the open from floor from the original cars (which I think is far better than the later ones). Any tips for me to be aware of?
As far as parts and processes go, that should all be outlined in my above posts. eBay is where I sourced most of my parts - you could also look on TMC for anyone parting out a 2016+ Model S/X too. The only other tip I have besides the above is if you decide to use a 12V USB hub to power the rear USB ports, make sure they are able to charge the devices you will be using. Case in point, my 12V USB hub is hit or miss when charging my kid's iPad using the rear USB ports.

I may end up removing my rear USB ports and just going with the cup holders only. If i do and you're interested, I'd be happy to sell you my current one at a good price.