Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Parts list and instructions to add 2016+ center console into 2012-2016 MS

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
To power the rear USB's, you can buy something like these:

Then just split +12V from the cigarette lighter wires.

Finally got my Obeche Gloss sliding door from Tesla. Looks great. Tesla had no stock in Europe, so they ordered it overseas..

They had to do special tricks to sell it. It's listed as MX part, so they are not allowed to sell it for MS VIN...

Color is exact match, and even the striping has correct orientation. I was a bit worried that 2013 MS "Obeche Gloss" might not be the same thing as 2020 MX "Obeche Gloss".

IMG_20210630_103709.jpg

Reactions: AaronP85 and jgatl
Old thread but I'm doing this refit and have an issue.
I got 99% of the parts in just waiting for 1057331-00-E - CENTER CONSOLE BRACKET to come in at my local SC.
But I got the whole thing apart and was looking around to make sure I have everything and it'll be good. Well I have 2 USB cables that go to the MCU, but I don't have any way to tie in the rear lighted USB to the rest of the system. It looks like there should be a splitter hub or something but I can't find a part number anywhere for it.

Also, I bought 106454-00-A ASY, CONSOLE BACK PANEL, CUP HOLDER but it doesn't have any holes for the rear USB. Is there a different part number that has the USB holes? By looking at the USB cables they look like they should snap into place.

There are lots of part numbers in the first post, including:
1064504-00-A - ASY, CONSOLE BACK PANEL, CUP HOLDER -

I assume that is the one with USB holes.

See my message above for one solution for powering the usb:s. Basically just steal 12V and ground from the cigarette lighter, and use some USB car charger to convert it to USB's +5V.

There is a Tesla part for that, but it is not a direct fit ether because of wiring harness differences.

Btw, I have nearly all parts required for the rear USB and cup holders, I could sell them if anyone is interested. They are in Finland though but international shipping should be possible. I bought these first, then found the full console in eBay which contained all the parts I had already bought..

All that time writing it up and I made a mistake. I originally put 1080669-00-A as the cables, but the embedded charger is 1047537-00-C. It's referred to as a "Dual Port Charger". Search eBay for 1080669 and you'll see what you are trying to find. IIRC, this was about $90 at the TSC.

For the ports, the vent and the USBs are one piece, PN 1064501 (depicted from EPC as 19) and the cup holder cover is another piece, 1086690 (depicted as 26). Hope this helps you!

Also, if I had to do it again, I'd do what @Zuikkis did. This gives you a +5V/fast charging port.

tesla-epc-model-s-aug2016-center-console.png

There are lots of part numbers in the first post, including:
1064504-00-A - ASY, CONSOLE BACK PANEL, CUP HOLDER -

I assume that is the one with USB holes.

See my message above for one solution for powering the usb:s. Basically just steal 12V and ground from the cigarette lighter, and use some USB car charger to convert it to USB's +5V.

There is a Tesla part for that, but it is not a direct fit ether because of wiring harness differences.

Btw, I have nearly all parts required for the rear USB and cup holders, I could sell them if anyone is interested. They are in Finland though but international shipping should be possible. I bought these first, then found the full console in eBay which contained all the parts I had already bought..

All that time writing it up and I made a mistake. I originally put 1080669-00-A as the cables, but the embedded charger is 1047537-00-C. It's referred to as a "Dual Port Charger". Search eBay for 1080669 and you'll see what you are trying to find. IIRC, this was about $90 at the TSC.

For the ports, the vent and the USBs are one piece, PN 1064501 (depicted from EPC as 19) and the cup holder cover is another piece, 1086690 (depicted as 26). Hope this helps you!

Also, if I had to do it again, I'd do what @Zuikkis did. This gives you a +5V/fast charging port.
So i thought i had all the parts i needed already but 1064501-00-B has not come in yet which is why i was confused on the USB holes so whenever it comes in I'll be good.

For the USB i like how simple just running a 5v and ground is but it would be nice to be able to plug a controller into the back so maybe I'll get a USB splitter for a computer and toss it in there.

For the USB i like how simple just running a 5v and ground is but it would be nice to be able to plug a controller into the back so maybe I'll get a USB splitter for a computer and toss it in there.

Even with the real Tesla part they are charge only.

However recent Model X (maybe 2019 onwards) comes with a powered USB hub there. It connects to one of the USB's coming from the MCU, and then divides that to all four ports (two front, two back). I'm not sure if the old USB cable from the MCU is long enough to reach the place where this hub is supposed to be mounted, so maybe need an extender cable or something..

Finally got the rest of my parts in so I can put this crap together.
I was mid install following the directions and I went to clip on the cup holder trim panel which the directions say

18. Install the rear cup holder trim panel (Figure 17). Ensure that all clips are fully secure

Well that piece doesn't have clips it has holes for screws 🤦‍♂️😂😂
But nowhere on EPC does it mention screws or show a pic of screws.
So now I'm about to dig around my old bucket of crap and try to find 5 small screws and see larg'ish washers but then I still gotta assess how to actually attach it because there is limited space to get in there.

P_20210911_180443.jpg
P_20210911_180507.jpg

Finally got the rest of my parts in so I can put this crap together.
I was mid install following the directions and I went to clip on the cup holder trim panel which the directions say

18. Install the rear cup holder trim panel (Figure 17). Ensure that all clips are fully secure

Well that piece doesn't have clips it has holes for screws 🤦‍♂️😂😂
But nowhere on EPC does it mention screws or show a pic of screws.
So now I'm about to dig around my old bucket of crap and try to find 5 small screws and see larg'ish washers but then I still gotta assess how to actually attach it because there is limited space to get in there.
Ok I'm a dumbass but in my defense it's not very intuitive.
For future people who notice this problem in the future it goes in and after a lot of force like feels like it's gonna break force push in and down at the same time and it clicks into place. 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

You have inspired me so I finally broke the piggy bank and bought a nearly complete console. I don't know when I'll take on the project but I'll share the story for those who care.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211007-213147_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20211007-213147_eBay.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 122
Reactions: TheFro
Great info here, many thanks. Just wanted to share a couple of things I did differently.
I ended up buying a 2017 console from Ebay. It didn't have the UBS ports in the back, and it didn't come with the short air duct.
What I did for the UBS ports was buy an automotive-grade USB charger (pat #900-0795405067-ND) from Digi-Key and install it where the original ports should have been. For the air duct, I cut the original one up and shaped it to fit as Zukkis did above. I used stainless wire mesh and melted them in along the seams. Everything works great and looks much cleaner than a portable reair seat cup holder/console and the aftermarket front center console I had before.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-01-16 at 11.00.37 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-01-16 at 11.00.37 PM.png
    4.8 MB · Views: 73
  • Screen Shot 2023-01-16 at 11.02.22 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-01-16 at 11.02.22 PM.png
    4.5 MB · Views: 75
  • Screen Shot 2023-01-16 at 11.00.28 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-01-16 at 11.00.28 PM.png
    113.8 KB · Views: 73
  • Screen Shot 2023-01-16 at 11.01.21 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-01-16 at 11.01.21 PM.png
    2.7 MB · Views: 79
Reactions: TheFro and Zuikkis
Although the 2017 center console doesn't have the charger ports, there is a molded path on the cupholder plastic for routing cable to the charger ports. This prevents the cable from entangling with the moving mechanism of the cupholder and allows it move smoothly. Here is a short video of it.

Even with the real Tesla part they are charge only.

However recent Model X (maybe 2019 onwards) comes with a powered USB hub there. It connects to one of the USB's coming from the MCU, and then divides that to all four ports (two front, two back). I'm not sure if the old USB cable from the MCU is long enough to reach the place where this hub is supposed to be mounted, so maybe need an extender cable or something..
Dear collegue ! I'm following your way but slighly opposite direction. I'm in Ireland and I'm sitting on the right side of the car and only console was available to purchase was in Lithuania from LHD car. So after reading this fantastic page I decided to buy it and do a bit of hand labour when installing a new one instead of open designed yaght floor type. That was great idea but in real life that shiny yaght floor looks quite messy. Thanks for you inspiring me. Val.

Reactions: Zuikkis
Hi, i'd like to do this on my 2016.5 MS. I already have the newer style centre console but no cup holders or USB in the back. Do just need the Cup holder assembly, USB assembly and trim piece?

Yep. And the wiring, as already said above.

I think I have all the parts you need. If you are interested just PM me. :) I'm from Finland.

I originally bought just the usb/cupholder parts from eBay, then found an entire console so I ended up with some duplicates...

I sent back the Tesla retrofit center console (w/o rear facing usb ports) and found one from a 2020 beige MS on Ebay. Much happier with the matching color instead of generic black of the retrofit part. I am a bit particular about the upgrading, so I made a jumper harness to relocate the in-car temp sensor from behind the IP to the one in the center console. I did forget to modify the air duct before install, yet air is coming from the rear ports. I wonder if the rear air volume is lower because of this? 🤔 The CC unit also came in the graphite surrounds so I will be changing that out for the silver one. All in all, I like the new look.