Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Parts of 2019.8.3 are great, but ...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
... the car will not complete an auto lane change anymore! Not in standard autopilot or on NoA. I tried it multiple times on my 20 mile commute to work this morning and it was back to hesitating and starting the lane change but then suddenly veering back to the lane. The strange thing is that this EXACT same issue happened with the last update. It eventually resolved itself and became perfectly confident and aggressive with the lane changes.

So why is this occurring? Is it some type of calibration that it needs to do for X amount of miles before being able to complete a lane change? The cameras aren’t dirty or anything. I even did a hard reset (brake + both buttons), but that didn’t help.

The rest of the updates, including the additional power, are great. The car is able to do a greater than 90 degree right turn and merge onto another highway! I’ve tried that same turn before and it always failed (it’s a fairly sharp turn). So definitely a big improvement there.

As someone else mentioned in a post, the shaking/shimmering cars in the display are more steady. The car also feels more solid in the lane and doesn’t drift much (wasn’t doing much of that before anyway) and doesn’t hug the outside or inside of the lane while in a curve. So overall, if I can get it to automatically change lanes, the update would be amazing!

Reactions: joelliot
Have you experienced any phantom braking episodes during your drive? I think I’ve pinned it down to someone driving close to the lane line ahead of me. Had 3 incidents where AP decided to brake check me on the way into work today with no clear need. First time I’ve given up on AP for my commute... so disappointing since other aspects of AP improved.

Reactions: joelliot
I had a phantom break this evening on my way home.
Large bus to my right, SUV on my left but a bit ahead of me. Seemed like the SUV was drifting toward the line or very close to it, but from what saw never crossed or put me in danger.

Just got the update today.

I haven't noticed any auto lane change weirdness. Jitter of the neighboring cars in the AP display area is def smoother now.

Acceleration from a dead stop is SOOOO much better now. Feels more like my S85.

Also there's more regen at higher speeds than before. Someone else made this observation as well in another thread.

You may be right as I have AP. But in the manual and the Tesla help videos that distinction is NO made. If you can point me to a Tesla page I will quiet down.

The video says enhanced autopilot right at the start.

The owners manual does too. See page 65 where it mentions the features as described only apply to those with enhanced autopilot or FSD.

• Informative
Reactions: commasign