Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Parts of 2019.8.3 are great, but ...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Honestly, there is already a large thread about this. (the auto-lane change and AP that is). I will only state that they announced they were moving auto lane change, nav on AP and advanced summons to FSD when they neutered EAP to make AP. They really need to get their act together and update their manual and the video as it can be confusing.

I actually encountered the lane change abort issue last weekend but it only happened on a section of a toll highway called the 407 ETR. It was working fine until I got onto the 407 and then would not work until after I got onto another highway called the 401. I did notice that the 407 highway surface had been "grooved" and since the feature started working again (on ungrooved pavement) I am speculating that perhaps the sensors were detecting reflections off the grooves that fooled the car into thinking the lane was occupied. FWIW

Ever since the "Great AutoPilot Sale to enhance corporate profits of early March 2019" we don't really have EAP anymore. It's just AP and FSD. Previous EAP installs remain EAP, but the new version of EAP is AP.

I jumped in on AP at $2000, and so far it has been good, but I wouldn't mind paying an extra $300 to get the turn signal lane change working again. It was nice in the V.9 free trial a few months ago.

Maybe it'll happen in June, when Tesla is coming to the end of their next financial quarter and is looking to pull more money off us any way they can.

Every update I get I try a very sharp curve on a secondary road at 20 mph. So let's see how 8.3 does!
Gets about half way around and veers sharply into the other lane. Could be worse It used to get halfway around and veer straight towards a telephone pole.
Someday it will work:)
Industrial Avenue Google Maps Satellite View.PNG

Update: Yesterday I started this thread and lane changes did NOT work 100% of the time (yes, I have all options including FSD). But today? It worked each and every time I tried it. For my 20 mile commute, I initiated a lane change a bunch of times in the morning and afternoon. It worked great and pretty aggressively changed lanes.

So go figure. Maybe it needed calibration? Maybe a connection to the mothership overnight and the car received some type of update? I don’t know.

So for everyone having this problem, give it a day or two and it may start working.

My 2018.8.3 observations

- No issues with auto lane change. Seems pretty crisp. Still slightly brakes before changing however.

- Decelerating when approaching slower traffic seems drastically better. It slows sooner and much smoother. Easily approaching human-like behavior here, if not smoother in some cases.

- Phantom braking improved (see below)

- I'm almost positive Tesla reverted the lane-intrusion detection to late-2018 behavior. The car brakes very late now for an intruding vehicle. Gone is any notion that the car is detecting a turn signal. Multiple times it waited until an adjacent car had fully entered my lane before braking fairly hard.

Every update I get I try a very sharp curve on a secondary road at 20 mph. So let's see how 8.3 does!
Gets about half way around and veers sharply into the other lane. Could be worse It used to get halfway around and veer straight towards a telephone pole.
Someday it will work:)
View attachment 391330
This this with 8.5 and perhaps a little better but it still turns directly into the approaching lane on the second bend (from left to right) even at 20mph.