Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Parts of touchscreen flicker while watching YouTube - HELP!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Today while parked watching YouTube on the touchscreen I immediately noticed areas of the display flickering every 5-10 seconds. The flickering applies to random areas of the display on all YouTube channels.

Here is a link to a 2 second video where you can see the podium flicker. Neither my phone or laptop display flicker when watching the same video/channel - IMG-4162

Is this a display issue that Tesla can resolve, or is it caused by the natural quality of the display? Although the flickering may seem like a minor inconvenience, it can be difficult on the eyes to watch for more than a few minutes.

That was my original assumption. I was watching the live impeachment hearing and the flickering was present regardless of the YouTube channel (CNBC, FOX, CBS, etc.). I simultaneously played the same video on my phone, holding it next to the touchscreen. The flickering could only be seen from videos watched on the Tesla touchscreen. At first I thought a light bulb was flickering in the room where the video was filmed, but watching on my phone confirmed the issue is specific to my Tesla touchscreen...although I have no clue what could cause it (LTE connection).

there were some reports about the screen flickering some time ago but i thought some of the recent updates corrected this. can you load up this video and report back? also what software version are you on?

I am on software version 10.1

Here is a video of the audio video sync test playing on my touchscreen. I do not see anything unusual here.

I continued watching the live stream on YouTube to look for a pattern. The slight flickering in the background appears on every channel. It usually occurs in the background when the focal point of the video moves significantly. Here is a video of someone moving their head causing the back of their chair to flicker. The effects are not as pronounced after uploading the recording to Vimeo. In person it is difficult to watch for an extended period of time - at first I thought a light bulb was flickering in the room where the video was filmed...unfortunately not the case.

I am on software version 10.1

Here is a video of the audio video sync test playing on my touchscreen. I do not see anything unusual here.

I continued watching the live stream on YouTube to look for a pattern. The slight flickering in the background appears on every channel. It usually occurs in the background when the focal point of the video moves significantly. Here is a video of someone moving their head causing the back of their chair to flicker. The effects are not as pronounced after uploading the recording to Vimeo. In person it is difficult to watch for an extended period of time - at first I thought a light bulb was flickering in the room where the video was filmed...unfortunately not the case.
can you try disabling auto brightness in the display settings?