Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Parts on back order - timeline/recent experiences?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm in the same boat. I took it in last week to deal with deer damage and was told the fender was back ordered. Luckily the damage is minor and the car is still driveable but I'm getting really sick of seeing the permanent "something is wrong with your front parking sensor" error message. The car still lets me use autopilot, oddly enough. I guess those front sensors aren't used for that.

Just stopped by the local Tesla shop to see if they know anything about parts or would be willing to give me a loaner due to the backorder. They knew nothing (well, the exact wording was "it's a crapshoot"), said no to the loaner, but also told me that my HW3 retrofit is available. So I'll be in the corner crying.

I'm waiting on two of the same parts, I think. Been backordered since Dec 10th last year. Good luck to us all...
  • Some sort of clip: 1088439-00-A S4 PA RETAINER, FRT FASCIA, M3
  • Front right fog/indicator assembly: 1077392-00-F LAMP ASY, FASCIA LAMP, SAE UP-LEVEL, RH
FYI I got a notification that the for lamp assembly has shipped from Tesla and will be getting to the body shop tomorrow. So may be a good time to poke your shop again?

Just talked to the body shop again and got a new estimate, it's up to almost $14000 now and my insurance wants to schedule another inspection...we'll see where this goes.
So far, they've not received any new information about the two missing parts - basically, they're being told "no ETA" by Tesla. I have reached out to [email protected] but haven't heard back. I also tried to get Tesla to cover a rental or loaner one more time because parts are backordered with no ETA - zero luck again. So all in all, no good news right now. I'm starting to get tired of the "well, you're an idiot for buying this car" treatment from friends and coworkers too...

Last edited:
Just talked to the body shop again and got a new estimate, it's up to almost $14000 now and my insurance wants to schedule another inspection...we'll see where this goes.
So far, they've not received any new information about the two missing parts - basically, they're being told "no ETA" by Tesla. I have reached out to [email protected] but haven't heard back. I also tried to get Tesla to cover a rental or loaner one more time because parts are backordered with no ETA - zero luck again. So all in all, no good news right now. I'm starting to get tired of the "well, you're an idiot for buying this car" treatment from friends and coworkers too...

Does your insurance not cover a rental vehicle for this purpose?

If the old lady's insurance has accepted fault, they should cover a rental for you. I'm not certain how Canadian insurance laws work, but I would assume it doesn't vary that much from the US.

Since you're going through your own insurance, they aren't required to pay in advance for it, but they'd at least have to reimburse reasonable rental charges that you may incur (at least in the US).

Does your insurance not cover a rental vehicle for this purpose?

I didn’t have rental coverage, which is my own fault of course. But even if I did, it maxes out at $600 which is enough for just over 2 weeks. Lesson learned and I’ll be adding premium rental coverage after this.

If the old lady's insurance has accepted fault, they should cover a rental for you. I'm not certain how Canadian insurance laws work, but I would assume it doesn't vary that much from the US.

Since you're going through your own insurance, they aren't required to pay in advance for it, but they'd at least have to reimburse reasonable rental charges that you may incur (at least in the US).

I am in the US. Both companies are still going through the liability investigation process. The case is pretty clear cut and the police report is in my favor (mentions her looking backwards and lists failure to yield as the sole apparent contributing factor), but it’s been slow going. I’m hoping to eventually get reimbursed by the lady’s insurance for my deductible and a rental car. This would have been much easier to achieve if the dashcam worked as designed and saved footage of the accident, not just the minutes before and after it.

Last edited:
Final update: one month and one day later, I have my car back. Several things I've learned along the way that may be useful to others who find themselves in a similar situation:

1. TeslaCam dashcam will fail when you need it most. The shell script that moves footage from internal staging area to the USB drive is coded to purge everything in the temporary storage folder if the USB drive cannot be reached. Power to USB ports can get cut even in minor collisions. Do not trust TeslaCam. Buy a real dashcam.

2. Tesla parts ordering system is imperfect. A great example is the ambient temperature sensor (1106818-00-A SENSOR, AMBIENT AIR TEMPERATURE, HCC): this is a special order only part that is not warehoused and takes 2-4 weeks to ship. However, the same exact sensor comes pre-installed on several other parts that are widely available without backorder. In my case, it came with (I think) 1081676-00-G. Manage everything. Do your own research. Talk to the shop. With some luck and perseverance, you can shorten your repair by days to weeks.

3. Tesla body shop support is able to pay for a rental car if parts are delayed for more than 11 days (they would not tell me if it is business or calendar days). This can be very helpful if you do not have coverage for a rental through insurance or if it runs out. The email address has been scrubbed off the website, but for now they can be reached at [email protected]. They took 4 days to get back to me, but once the initial case was opened, responses came quickly and they were, in general, very helpful. They will initially give you a 5 day rental and can extend it by another 15 with an internal approval. I did not get an answer on whether this extension is renewable. They will give you up to $50/day at Enterprise (according to Tesla, this should be an LCAR, but at busy facilities you're more likely to get an FCAR at best - mine was a Nissan Maxima and holy cow I now understand why Nissan is failing so miserably). They can also assist body shops in locating parts at different warehouses and expediting the shipping.

4. Prevailing rate for body and paint work on a Model 3 is $125/hour. This is a long way from insurance company rates of ~$50-$70. Expect your insurance to try to fight the certified shop. In my case, explaining that Tesla will not sell parts for structural repairs to non-certified shops and that the shop I was working with was the only one for hundreds of miles around, along with the shop providing some documentation of how they set their rates, worked. Still, insurance only approved the extra labor with concession line items under parts, listing their standard labor rates. I suspect this will not last - either insurance prices are going to go up drastically, or owners will have to go to arbitration to get their repairs covered fully. Also, in my case, the adjuster did not fight the shop on the actual repair procedures at all, they approved everything but their rates right away.

5. While parts are priced surprisingly low, Tesla repairs overall are expensive, largely due to two things: first, almost everything is remove and replace, there's very little repair work allowed. Second, Tesla procedures prescribe replacing many parts that may remain perfectly functional. Some of those are single-use parts (fender camera assemblies are a particularly expensive example, they cannot be removed and any fender repair means they get replaced), others are minor solid state sensors that need to be replaced if the parts housing them are replaced. This jacks up both the parts bill and the amount of labor.

6. You cannot find or bring your own parts. The certified shop will not work with you on that, everything has to come from Tesla.

With all of the above said, I am still extremely happy to be driving a Tesla again. There's little out there - and nothing for the price - that compares to it in the amount of joy that driving brings. I will post some pictures of the damage, the repair process, and the end result later today.

• Informative
Reactions: stevevets
Things have not gotten better!!! My MS was at charging station (WAWA) when idiot backed across lot and destroyed Tesla charging station which I was attached to. Ripped put charging block within fender and created small tear area at charging door. Working with authorized Tesla body shop. They ordered new left quater panel, based upon VIN. Attempted to fit New QP to car when realized it didn't fit!!! MS 2017 seems to have 4 different quarteer panels, and Tesla managed to screw it up and order rong one. Now waiting another 3 weeks because QP is on "Backorder" and might be received in two more weeks. Terrible customer service!!!! Total damage ... $9000 for charging station, and $19,300 for quarter panel replacement and charging block. BTW the first 2 charging block replacements don't fit !!! Very disappointed. Car has been in shop since April 9th!!! Calling them just gets you the gatekeeped who will forward your problem on to 'Team". They are pnly interested in getting the car out to customer, no matter the quality, and almost ignoring the Model S owners problems!! Very disgusted..!!

Attachments

• eS8V4+EWTG+MFm17CWFauA.jpg
    eS8V4+EWTG+MFm17CWFauA.jpg
    828.9 KB · Views: 92
  • yMweX0hhQCuYBYakqepDKQ.jpg
    yMweX0hhQCuYBYakqepDKQ.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 45
Things have not gotten better!!! My MS was at charging station (WAWA) when idiot backed across lot and destroyed Tesla charging station which I was attached to. Ripped put charging block within fender and created small tear area at charging door. Working with authorized Tesla body shop. They ordered new left quater panel, based upon VIN. Attempted to fit New QP to car when realized it didn't fit!!! MS 2017 seems to have 4 different quarteer panels, and Tesla managed to screw it up and order rong one. Now waiting another 3 weeks because QP is on "Backorder" and might be received in two more weeks. Terrible customer service!!!! Total damage ... $9000 for charging station, and $19,300 for quarter panel replacement and charging block. BTW the first 2 charging block replacements don't fit !!! Very disappointed. Car has been in shop since April 9th!!! Calling them just gets you the gatekeeped who will forward your problem on to 'Team". They are pnly interested in getting the car out to customer, no matter the quality, and almost ignoring the Model S owners problems!! Very disgusted..!!
Rear quarter panels are the worst to replace. Lots of cutting and welding.

Update... New QP received after only 10 days. BULLETIN .. Quality control allowed panel to ship with misaligned support bracket so that panel does not fit!!!! Bracket needs to be removed ( unbonded) glue removed, realigned and re-glued into place. TESLA SAYS NO! NO adjustments or re-alignment of panel supports as this is a modification from factory"!
F..Ked again by poor quality. Bodyshop is trying to contact Tesla support for 3 days... No answer... ( "authorized" body shop now has 3 different Model S rear quarter panels that cannot be used.) and there are 2 other Tesla's MS in shop with similar quality control issues. It has been 3 months since accident and still not repaired! Certainly re-considering if I want to keep car, and definately sour on replacing with newer S or X.

Reactions: hpartsch
Last Saturday, February 8th, I met a lovely old lady who promptly proceeded to drive straight into my Model 3 as I was stopped at a traffic light. Actually, she wasn't nice at all: the first thing she blurted out was "my nephew's the sheriff!" and then she proceeded to try to pin the whole thing on me...but I digress. Long story short, I got ~$12k of front end damage. I'm working with a Tesla-certified body shop that just completed tearing down my car and ordered parts.

They were told that the following parts are on back order with unknown ETA:
- Hood
- Right-side fender support
- Right hand fog light assembly
- Ambient air temperature sensor

Does anyone have a recent experience with back-ordered parts for Model 3 and how long the wait times were? I would sincerely appreciate any information as I'm trying to plan my work travel for the next few months. I'm in upstate NY, if that matters. Thanks!

Obligatory picture of my car:
View attachment 510295
Hey, i'm in a similar situation as you. How long did it take for those parts to finally arrive? Thank you!