TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Parts situation looks bleak?

Discussion in 'Roadster' started by asgard, Oct 2, 2013.

1. asgard

asgard Member

I have spoken a few times on the phone with Fremont and Menlo Park about getting the dash parts for a double din upgrade for my newly acquired CPO Roadster 1.5. These are basically the 2.5 aluminum dash panel and the plastic housings, AC duct baffles.
    I was going to have them installed by a third party. After several attempts, Chris at their service center finally called me back and said that those components are no longer in stock and would have to be sourced from Lotus manufacturing, which is not presently feasible.

Has anyone else had luck getting these parts?

2. wiztecy

wiztecy Active Member

Talk to Rob @ Dietcsch Werks about this one, he does the Double Din upgrades on the Lotus's and can get parts.

3. JohnnyLounge21

These guys in West Hollywood likely could punch you out the double-DIN upgrade. I know they've done a bunch. I'd give them a call since they are experts in the field. I think the dash effect is at least as good looking as the sock 2.5s for the double-DIN.

Minute 2:50 is what you're looking for.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rphfmncRBrM

4. shrink

shrink Member

That's pretty cool, Johnny, but they also moved the air vents. That seems like a lot of work.

RE: general parts availability. My car needs a new windshield. I had a rock chip about 2 weeks ago driving on these Phoenix highways (very common in the desert unfortunately). Tesla ranger tried to fix it, but when the resin set, an approximately 8-10 inch crack developed. My windshield had the solar guard option (those little black dots along the edges. They had to order it in. It's been over a week and I'm still waiting on the part.

Generally windshields shouldn't take that long, but I suppose this is life with limited edition car that is no longer in production.

5. shrink

shrink Member

..and 30 minutes after I post this, I get a call that my windshield is in. LOL. So, that took about a week from the date they ordered it. It's getting installed tomorrow.

6. hcsharp

hcsharp Active Member

shrink, do you mind if I ask how much Tesla is charging for the windshield and installation? I have a rock chip in mine and also have the solar guard option. Did your insurance cover it? Thanks.

7. shrink

shrink Member

I'm going through insurance. My glass deductible is $0 so I have no idea what the actual cost is. I'll ask the installer tomorrow to see if I can get more info.

8. 7racer

7racer Member

I've been waiting for the splash guards underneath the door to prevent water from getting in the sill....from what the guys say, these won't be ever available :(

9. hcsharp

hcsharp Active Member

That's just stupid of Tesla because those parts are easily available and not a hard job to do. Where there's a will there's a way. Not much will.

10. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

A fellow who had them installed a while back told me they didn't work all that well. (I have no personal experience.)

11. hcsharp

hcsharp Active Member

I bought a length of foam L-shaped gasket for this but have been reluctant to install it. My biggest problem is with the gasket rubbing on the paint and scratching it. On my car it's covered there with paint armor but that just means the paint armor will always look scratched until I replace it. Also a little worried about drainage coming down from the door handle recess. In the winter I wonder if it will freeze the gasket a lot, making it hard to open the door.

12. bobinfla

bobinfla S-Vin 4086 Rdstr-Vin 0019

I went through this drill about two months ago. Had Tesla get the dash parts then had them installed by a third party along with the new stereo, parts took about 5 weeks. sorry if I took the last one.

Have also done a new AC motor (5 weeks), windshield wiper motor (3 weeks), and currently waiting on coolant pump.

Parts have not been fast, but so far they've come up with them all eventually.

13. shrink

shrink Member

Well, just had the windshield installed. It fits, but it wasn't an exact match to the old one. It was, however, whatever local Tesla service center said was the replacement part. I noticed the following differences:

1) The top of the new windshield had a light blue tint running the length of the top. Is this called a glare strip? Anyway, it was on the new one, but not the old one.

2) The old windshield was darkened/black in the area behind the rearview mirror. The new one is not, but that light blue glare strip runs the length of the top. I guess it has the same effect.

3) A pattern of black dots lines the outer edge, but these now cover the VIN#. On the old one, there was a gap on the black dot trim that let the VIN be clearly visible.

4) The old windshield had the Tesla logo visible near the VIN#. This new windshield does not have the Tesla logo.

The local Tesla service center here in Phoenix said they ordered the Solar Guard version of this part. Do these differences sound right to everybody?

Anyway, RE: cost, I asked the installer and he said, "I really don't know but we've done the Model S' and those cost about $1200. I think this one is more." Then on my invoice, the windshield has a list price of $617.86.

14. jbadger

jbadger Roadster #506

shrink, I wonder if you got a Lotus windshield? I read before that the Lotus windshield fits the Roadster and does not have the cutout for the VIN and obviously wouldn't have any Tesla branding on it.

15. wiztecy

wiztecy Active Member

Also is it a 1.5 or 2.x Roadster? They moved the VIN location on the 2.x's versus the 1.5's I heard and the windows were different in that respect.

16. PokerBroker

PokerBroker Member

I am waiting on new seats, door sills, a few knobs, the hood popping mech, and hardtop fastening parts, going on eight weeks now for my 1.5... All parts and installation are to be covered by CPO

17. Jaff

Jaff Active Member

I had the sound deadening package installed solely to get the Tesla door sill gaskets / sill protection...they work very well keeping the road crud off of my sills...expensive fix, but my car is a daily driver...

18. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Okay, some reviews are more positive than others! How well do they work in wet conditions?

19. Jaff

Jaff Active Member

Again, very well...as you know, I drive my Roadster all year round...slush, snow, grime and grit never touch my door sills now...
    I would have much preferred to buy the sill gaskets only though...I really did not want the rest of the noise reduction kit.

20. Vger

Vger Active Member

That is surprising. The sound reduction transformed our car; I could not live without it now. I drove a loaner Roadster and could barely stand the harsh road noise!