Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Parts situation looks bleak?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
shrink, I wonder if you got a Lotus windshield? I read before that the Lotus windshield fits the Roadster and does not have the cutout for the VIN and obviously wouldn't have any Tesla branding on it.

Also is it a 1.5 or 2.x Roadster? They moved the VIN location on the 2.x's versus the 1.5's I heard and the windows were different in that respect.

Good questions both of you. Mine is #501, so it's the first 2.0.

I expressed my concerns to Tesla and I heard back today. It was indeed the wrong windshield. They did not tell me if I got 1.5 or a Lotus one, but the local parts guy said he ordered it correctly, but thinks Tesla shipped it out incorrectly. They re-ordered the windshield today.

I could have lived with the shade band on the new/current one, but the lack of VIN notch was a little concerning.

I am waiting on new seats, door sills, a few knobs, the hood popping mech, and hardtop fastening parts, going on eight weeks now for my 1.5... All parts and installation are to be covered by CPO

I'm looking into buying a CPO, so I'm a bit curious why seats would be covered by CPO?
They informed you ahead of buying time that seats were damaged and needed replacement or you had to point it out to them and they agreed when you took delivery?
Thanks!

The seats had seams pulling apart. I was informed prior to delivery that they needed replacement as a part of the CPO process, which includes cosmetics. I took delivery early so I could enjoy the car for the few remaining good weather months. I will be taking the car in for the remaining items this winter.

Just an update on my windshield. Tesla had to order yet another windshield again today. They ordered the wrong once twice. Quoting from an e-mail I received a few minutes ago:

Roadsters built 2010 and above there is 2 options, 2009 there is only 1 choice.

Mine is a 2.0 MY 2010, but I think it was built in 2009. Not sure if he was referring to MY or manufacture date, but in an effort to replace my windshield, they apparently ordered the wrong one twice. Let's hope 3rd time's a charm...

It could be that they ordered based on the year and not the VIN(!) I have a 2010 Sport that was early 2010. I picked up a chip and needed the windshield to be replaced. Tesla (Tigertail) said they had a 2010 in stock and could replace it in a day. They came and picked up the car, but when they double-checked the windshield, they saw it would not fit. Turns out that although I have a 2010 car, the windshield is 2009. The only difference is the location of the VIN!!!! It would seem like a logical thought to move the VIN on the dashboard, but apparently the DMV does not take kindly on such things, so they had to order a 2009 windshield and I had to wait an additional 10 days.

One more update. I was just informed my still under warranty CPO Roadster is getting a new subwoofer. I noticed it cutting in and out the first week I took delivery, then I didn't notice it all. They finally took a look at it and ordered a new one for me. I'm actually pretty shocked they still had a 2010 electronics group subwoofer still in stock somewhere.

Well, they replaced the subwoofer on my CPO Roadster, but then determined they also needed the amp. The amp is now en route.

It's a good thing they had an available amp, too! That can't be a readily available part.

I am disappointed in the parts situation for the sound upgrade and sills. It would have been an expensive option, but I wanted to have the upgrade installed in my 2.5 for both benefits. I couldn't believe the option wasn't available in the summer when I asked them to install it. Then the service guy in Boston said that he was the person that developed the door seals so he was sure he could get at least that done by itself. Unfortunately when my car came back from the service it has done, they hadn't done the sills. Oh well. It seemed unreasonably expensive anyway.

I think he's talking about the gasket upgrade that prevents mud and slush from collecting on the sills. It's normally done as part of the Sound II upgrade. I don't think any of the parts are Roadster specific so not sure why they couldn't do it.

I think he's talking about the gasket upgrade that prevents mud and slush from collecting on the sills. It's normally done as part of the Sound II upgrade. I don't think any of the parts are Roadster specific so not sure why they couldn't do it.

I also believe there can be a better solution for that. From what I've seen it really collects all the small abrasive pebbles and if you don't have any paint shielding in that area you're going to get some very fine scratches that can damage your paint. Appears you need to hose / clean that area out to prevent that from happening.