Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pass through charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone know if the model 3 allows for pass through charging while hooked up to wall charger?

I wanted to charge an external power bank to the 12 v cigarette outlet via usb and was hoping it would charge at the same time as the TESLA. Any thoughts? Reason why I have a power bank is that I use that to power my wireless mobile pad from jeda instead of having to plug into the USB ports on the TESLA.
Thanks

I'm not exactly sure what the concern is, but the cigaratte lighter port is powered by the little 12V battery in the frunk area, which in turn is automatically recharged from the HV battery as necessary. So there is no "pass through charging", but it shouldn't matter. Compared to the power that's going into the HV battery while the car is charging, the consumption of your powerbank is miniscule.

By using the power bank supposedly gets faster charging compared to the USB ports in the TESLA and yes also worried about draining the car battery as well
most powerbanks are under 100Wh or so, as anything higher capacity are not allowed on airlines.
so you can fill about 1000 of those things from a fully charged tesla battery before it empties.

12v feeds the charging pad better but depending on the phone you use it might be limited anyway

It is just about impossible that the output of the wireless charger is higher coming from a power bank vs via the Tesla USB ports. Where did you get that info?

I just went to Jeda’s website to see the specs to confirm - unfortunately they aren’t on there.

It is just about impossible that the output of the wireless charger is higher coming from a power bank vs via the Tesla USB ports. Where did you get that info?
It is possible if you use a powerbank or cigarette lighter adapter that supports QuickCharge. In this case you can charge at up to 15W with the Jeda pad, whereas the Tesla USB ports are limited to 7.5W. That is also true for the Taptes wireless pad, BTW.

I wouldn't necessarily recommend it though, since from my experience phones get very hot when charging wirelessly at 15W. If you need a fast charge, it's more efficient and healthier for the phone battery to use a charging cable.

It is possible if you use a powerbank or cigarette lighter adapter that supports QuickCharge. In this case you can charge at up to 15W with the Jeda pad, whereas the Tesla USB ports are limited to 7.5W. That is also true for the Taptes wireless pad, BTW.

The ports can deliver 2.1 amps at 5v...that's over 10 watts... each. >20 watts if both feeding a charger. What's the obvious thing I'm missing here? Are the 2 cables going into the wireless pads feeding separate charger coils or something?

The navak splitters specifically support negotiating a number of standards that can do more than that... not sure which (if any) wireless pads do though-

Custom USB splitter solution for M3
I know. But if you connect a wireless pad to the Navak, it'll still only charge at 7.5W. I don't know much about Qi charging, but there is probably a technical reason (perhaps the higher wireless charging rates require 9V instead of 5 for some reason, which QuickCharge can provide).

I think it's just the protocol the wireless pads are able to negotiate.... sounds like they're all only able to to USB DCP at best... guessing it costs money to license the faster protocols maybe?

Anyway his notes in the other thread say that (USB DCP) will max at 1.5a, which would give you 7.5W at 5 volts... while apple devices can do 2.1 and Samsung devices 2A

So it sounds like if you plugged a samsung wireless charger (or anything that speaks samsung?) into his splitter you'd get 10 watts instead of 7.5 out of each port... though obviously Samsung doesn't make one specifically meant to fit perfectly in the M3 front console... (and apple doesn't make wireless pads at all weirdly)

Tagging @Navak in case he has anything less incoherent than my speculation to add :)

Here's what I found on Wikipedia regarding the fast Qi charging mode:

"Labeled by Samsung as “Fast Wireless Charging” (initially 10W, introduced on the Galaxy Note 5 and S6 edge plus), August 2015) requires charging plate to be connected to Qualcomm Quick Charge 2.0-enabled 15W USB charger (9 Volt, 1.67 Ampère support)."

Note that they actually call it 5W and 10W (rather than 7.5W and 15W), probably because that's what ends up in the phone due to the low efficiency of the wireless power transmission.

Personally I'm not really interested in this because I'd rather not cook my phone. ;)

I think it's just the protocol the wireless pads are able to negotiate.... sounds like they're all only able to to USB DCP at best... guessing it costs money to license the faster protocols maybe?

Anyway his notes in the other thread say that (USB DCP) will max at 1.5a, which would give you 7.5W at 5 volts... while apple devices can do 2.1 and Samsung devices 2A

So it sounds like if you plugged a samsung wireless charger (or anything that speaks samsung?) into his splitter you'd get 10 watts instead of 7.5 out of each port... though obviously Samsung doesn't make one specifically meant to fit perfectly in the M3 front console... (and apple doesn't make wireless pads at all weirdly)

Tagging @Navak in case he has anything less incoherent than my speculation to add :)
@Knightshade I agree with you. I don`t have much information on what protocol wireless chargers use to negotiate the charging current but my guess is it has to be from standard.
I did a little search and came across this interesting article: iOS 13.1 Cuts Fast Charging Support to Multiple Wireless Chargers – Chargerlab
Also, a quick look on Anker`s wireless chargers I see anything above 5W requires QC2.0 or QC3.0 charger.
By the way wireless charger are around 75% efficient and 7.5W at the charger input equivalent to 5.5W at on phone side.

• Informative
Reactions: CMc1