Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Passanger door opens too fast with full force.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, we got an odd problem with the passenger door.
When opening it in any way. It opens with such force that when it hits the limit it bounces back. When trying to close the door slight force is needed and a clicking sound is heard.

Any idea? Tried combing the web and couldnt find anyone with the same problem.

Already did and hoping to have it solved by distance if possible. However they are very slow in getting any replies. Nearest SC to visit for me is in norway and the border is unfortunately closed because of Corona.

So if anyone have any idea if theres a do it yourself fix for this, please let me know.

Happened to mine, the door flung into my wife's week old Model 3. Tesla replaced the drive motor in the door, supposedly a corroded connection. They also repaired the Model 3.

upload_2020-7-10_20-9-21.png

Hi, mobile service exist but i live far away from the nearest swedish SC so its not something they do too often. I have just a few hours to the norwegian sc but the the border is closed.

I booked an appointment with tesla sc to try and fix it by distance somehow but they stopped contact with me and was forgotten.
Not very happy, i didnt expect much but atleast someone to talk to.

I will be careful with the door and wait till i can take a trip to SC.

Hi, mobile service exist but i live far away from the nearest swedish SC so its not something they do too often. I have just a few hours to the norwegian sc but the the border is closed.

I booked an appointment with tesla sc to try and fix it by distance somehow but they stopped contact with me and was forgotten.
Not very happy, i didnt expect much but atleast someone to talk to.

I will be careful with the door and wait till i can take a trip to SC.
So what happened? I got the same issue yesterday.

Best regards Lasse

Yea they do have an operation in toolbox 2 to put in a calibration number from the motor I haven’t personally done it but it does have a setting screen and you can adjust the strength on the door.. it’s more complicated than that because you also have the falcon radar sensor giving a object distance also

Reactions: brainhouston
There are several threads on this topic, not sure if it makes sense to make a master thread (wish this forum had a Wiki feature), but I hope this post helps others.

On the Norwegian Tesla forums, sounds like several people had this same issue, and the problem is from corrosion of the wiring contacts to the motor, one person fixed it themselves, translated as follows from post # 21 here: https://elbilforum.no/index.php?topic=61522.21

"I have disassembled and cleaned the contacts on this motor. It seems to be working now after 2-3 days of testing. Maybe it's wise to try this before replacing the motor?
Procedure:
1. Disassemble the door trim, clips plus 4 10mm bolts.
2. Disassemble the blank square, 4 8mm bolts.
3. Remove the connector and spray with ozone cleaner.
4. Apply a little electronic cleaner to the motor's coil.
5. Reassemble everything.

The most challenging part is removing the door trim."

Reactions: oldsport
As a workaround, looks like this person disabled it in post #32: Dør åpner seg med full kraft - Side 3

"Couldn't disconnect the cable to the engine (due to the corrosion that causes it to stop working), so I flipped off the arm on the outside, so no complaints from the car, but the engine runs every time I open the door."

I'm going to try detaching the cable to see what happens.

Also going to try the fix from post #21. Will do my best to report back results.

As a workaround, looks like this person disabled it in post #32: Dør åpner seg med full kraft - Side 3

"Couldn't disconnect the cable to the engine (due to the corrosion that causes it to stop working), so I flipped off the arm on the outside, so no complaints from the car, but the engine runs every time I open the door."

I'm going to try detaching the cable to see what happens.

Also wonder if this could help recalibrate from HERE):

The Tesla Model X Door Reset for Starter!​

In case nothing works for you to fix the bug of the door (front + falcon wing), then it’s best to reset the doors before going to an expert. Here’s the procedure:

Resetting The Front Door​

• Go inside your Tesla. Hold the 2 scroll wheel buttons of the steering wheel for 10 seconds. Wait for 30 seconds for it to reset.
  • Open the door from the inside using the manual handle that can release the door.
  • Push the door to the fully open position and then slowly push it back to close by attaching the latch. Be sure the whole process is taking around 5 – 10 seconds to complete the reset.