TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Passed out crash caught on dash cam

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by GregTexas, May 11, 2015.

1. GregTexas

GregTexas Member

#1 GregTexas, May 11, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2016

2. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

Do people normally put the camera behind the driver's head? Either way odd video and lucky it was all farmland.

3. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

That's an odd placement for a "dash" camera.

It also looks like he set the cruise control and that it didn't shut down when he went off-roading (which I think it should have). And man, I was wincing as he headed for and narrowly missed that utility pole! That wouldn't have ended well.

4. Zextraterrestrial

that is some messed up CC!

and the rest of all of it !! eeek! super lucky

5. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

Wow. The passenger side was absolutely destroyed so I'm glad he was driving alone.

6. Rockster

Rockster Active Member

Something is odd about this, in addition to the placement of the dash cam. He seemed to take a l-o-n-g time to return to alertness. I suspect there's more to this than a guy simply falling asleep and wrecking the car.

7. ChadS

ChadS Petroleum is for sissies

#8 ChadS, May 11, 2015
    Last edited: May 12, 2015
    The driver says he passed out due to a low blood pressure condition. The couple of times I've passed out it has taken a while to get back to full control...some systems seem to "come online" faster than others. It seems believable to me.

8. Rockster

Rockster Active Member

Yes, you're right. I was tunnel visioned on "falling asleep at the wheel," which obviously isn't the only reason one can lose consciousness while driving.

9. lorih

lorih Member

Yes, there are folks with blood sugar issues, different types of seizures etc. the first thing I thought of was this was a medical emergency, and since he didn't come to when things started crashing into his car.

I hope he gave up driving. (Unless they know cause, and it has been fixed). I have some medical issues, and I gave up driving because I wouldn't want to hurt anyone. It has been very hard to lose my independence. If a doctor doesn't report to DMV, it is up to the driver to do the right thing.

i am so glad this guy didn't hit a bicyclist, pedestrian or another car.