Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Passenger Airbag Indicator

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My wife is < 100 lbs. Initially when we leave the passenger airbag indicator is on (inactive.) After approx 10 mins. it will go off (activate) and stay off. I'm concerned that she is venerable during that time. The manual states that the airbag may or may not activate at 9-100 lbs. Is there any way I can force the airbag to activate at less than 100lbs?

The reason for a sensing system is so it won't go off with a smaller person in the seat as the airbag can do more harm than good at that point.
Thanks for your insight.

She is paranoid that the airbag may deploy and injure her. I am very concerned that the airbag may not deploy and she could be seriously injured. Kind of a catch 22.

I have contacted the Service Center and been advised that there is nothing to be done as the weight sensor is not adjustable or replaceable.

I'm hoping that Tesla was cognizant of the "small person" injury potential and opted to not deploy the airbag for a passenger <100lb.

Any further thoughts?

Airbags are a supplemental system. I wonder whether if she always wears the 3-point belt correctly, that will be the best protection.

Also, if the airbag system is activated, she should make sure not to set the seat to far forward.

Last edited:
My wife is < 100 lbs. Initially when we leave the passenger airbag indicator is on (inactive.) After approx 10 mins. it will go off (activate) and stay off. I'm concerned that she is venerable during that time. The manual states that the airbag may or may not activate at 9-100 lbs. Is there any way I can force the airbag to activate at less than 100lbs?

It may be sensitivity to seating position, if she shifts to the middle of the seat (versus more towards the back of the seat), it may trigger the sensor.

Thanks for your insight.

She is paranoid that the airbag may deploy and injure her. I am very concerned that the airbag may not deploy and she could be seriously injured. Kind of a catch 22.

I have contacted the Service Center and been advised that there is nothing to be done as the weight sensor is not adjustable or replaceable.

I'm hoping that Tesla was cognizant of the "small person" injury potential and opted to not deploy the airbag for a passenger <100lb.

Any further thoughts?
I'm just repeating what I was told when I worked for a luxury manufacturer. We would hear this complaint quite a bit.

Airbags are supplemental, so if its not going to help based on the size of the person in the seat, it won't go off to prevent injury and to reduce costs on insurance.