Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Passenger Airbag OFF resolved

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For anyone else with a similar problem, please read since it is a safety issue.

I am around 120 lbs and the airbag was almost always OFF for me in the passenger seat.

To make a long story short, Tesla had to replace the passenger seat with a new one from the seat factory. It had to be the exact right seat calibrated for the vehicle build.

I had to be quite persistent to get this done, but in the end I am happy and the airbag is now always ON for me.

We're having the same problem in our 2021 MY. It has only intermittently detects when my wife (~100 lbs) is sitting in the passenger seat. Can you elaborate on what you had to go through to get the seat replaced and how long it took? (Time to source the seat, time the car was actually in to do the replacement, what road blocks you encountered, etc.) I have a service appointment for this in a few weeks and would like to have some knowledge of the process ahead of time.

I am around 120 lbs and the airbag was almost always OFF for me in the passenger seat.

To make a long story short, Tesla had to replace the passenger seat with a new one from the seat factory. It had to be the exact right seat calibrated for the vehicle build.

I had to be quite persistent to get this done, but in the end I am happy and the airbag is now always ON for me.
@hellnoICE Can you detail the steps toward resolution. We picked up our MYLR last week and the passenger airbag has never turned on. SC provided the following advice:
To make sure the sensing system can correctly detect occupancy status, eliminate the following:

• Objects lodged under the seat.
• Heavy objects sitting on the seat (briefcase, large purse).
• Objects wedged between the seat back and seat cushion.
• Cargo interfering with the seat.
• Aftermarket items attached to, or sitting on or between, the seat and occupant including but not limited to covers, mats, blankets, etc.

These conditions can interfere with the occupancy sensor. If you have eliminated the above possibilities, and the airbag status is still incorrect, ask passengers to ride in the rear seats and contact Tesla to have the airbag system checked.

@hellnoICE Can you detail the steps toward resolution. We picked up our MYLR last week and the passenger airbag has never turned on. SC provided the following advice:
To make sure the sensing system can correctly detect occupancy status, eliminate the following:

• Objects lodged under the seat.
• Heavy objects sitting on the seat (briefcase, large purse).
• Objects wedged between the seat back and seat cushion.
• Cargo interfering with the seat.
• Aftermarket items attached to, or sitting on or between, the seat and occupant including but not limited to covers, mats, blankets, etc.

These conditions can interfere with the occupancy sensor. If you have eliminated the above possibilities, and the airbag status is still incorrect, ask passengers to ride in the rear seats and contact Tesla to have the airbag system checked.
An update on my situation - I had a pretty thin seat cover (EVNV brand) to protect the mint seats. Removing that senses a 120ish lb person and airbag display shows ON. Will monitor over the next couple of days to ensure consistent results. Tesla service did request an exact time stamp so they could sift through the code to help diagnose the issue. For now, this appears resolved without using the seat cover.

Tesla manual airbag requirements.png

@SDKoala @craaaazzy @stopcrazypp @tesbhoo

Reactions: craaaazzy
We're having the same problem in our 2021 MY. It has only intermittently detects when my wife (~100 lbs) is sitting in the passenger seat. Can you elaborate on what you had to go through to get the seat replaced and how long it took? (Time to source the seat, time the car was actually in to do the replacement, what road blocks you encountered, etc.) I have a service appointment for this in a few weeks and would like to have some knowledge of the process ahead of time.
Let me know what happened as I have apptmt for same issue. I am 107 lbs but even adding 10lb weight doesn’t turn it on. Seat “sees” husband at 162 lbs.

They told me it was just a sensor to replace. Something about an updated part. Will go on March 27 2023 to change out

My MYP is about 9 months old. My wife is now about 110 lbs. Due to her Alzheimer's disease I have a waterproof seat cover (thin neoprene) and an absorbent "puppy pad" on the passenger seat. When the car was new, my wife was about 120 lbs. and the airbag would reliably activate. I started to notice the Airbag Off message after a couple of months. I had read the messages about not having seat covers, etc., but in my situation I really couldn't remove them. About a month ago, I noted that the frequency of the Airbag Off message was less, and now it will reliably be on with my wife in the seat. She hasn't gained weight, but I'm guessing that the seat foam may be conforming to her derrière and activating the sensor. FWIW