TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Passenger Airbag Off Warning

Discussion in 'Model 3: Driving Dynamics' started by dsm3, May 20, 2019.

1. dsm3

dsm3 Member

Hi all,

I got my M3 this weekend finally and I noticed that when my 11 year old daughter sits in the passenger seat (she weighs 84 lbs) I get the passenger airbag notification off warning. No notification when my wife sits there (125 lbs) or testing with both kids in seat it works fine as well. Is this normal? Shouldn't an 85lbs child be sufficient to trigger the airbag? Is this something worth discussing with service?

Thanks In advance.

2. Togg

Togg Member

I'm pretty sure this is normal. I recall info about it in the owner's manual.

3. AlanSubie4Life

AlanSubie4Life Efficiency Obsessed Member

#3 AlanSubie4Life, May 20, 2019
    Last edited: May 20, 2019
    Do not place a child in the front seat; it is not the safest place, and they are more likely to be injured in that location.

Model 3 Owners Manual, page 33.

https://www.tesla.com/content/dam/tesla/Ownership/Own/Model 3 Owners Manual.pdf

-----
    Page 33:
    Child Safety Seat Warnings

Warning: Extreme hazard! Do not seat a child on the front passenger seat even if you are using a child safety seat. This seat has an airbag in front of it. Although this airbag is disabled when Model 3 detects a lightweight passenger, do not rely on technology to protect your child.

Warning: Child restraint systems are designed to be secured in vehicle seats by lap belts or the lap belt portion of a lap-shoulder belt. Children could be endangered in a crash if their child restraints are not properly secured in the vehicle.

Warning: According to collision statistics, children are safer when properly restrained in the rear seating positions than in the front seating positions.

Page 36:

Model 3 has the following types of airbags:

•Advanced front airbags: The front airbags are designed to reduce airbag related injuries if children or small adults are riding in the front seats. On the driver’s side, the front airbag works with a seat position sensor that adjusts the inflation level based on the seating position of the occupant. On the passenger’s side, the airbag responds to a sensing system in the seat that determines whether or not the passenger side front airbag inflates, and optimizes the inflation level based on the weight of the occupant. Follow all warnings related to seating a child on the front passenger seat.

4. ewoodrick

ewoodrick Well-Known Member

I believe the weight is enough. You will probably have to make sure she sits dlaf and doesn't squirm.

• Funny x 1
  5. AlanSubie4Life

AlanSubie4Life Efficiency Obsessed Member

This is likely false according to the Owner’s Manual. Though admittedly it does not provide the exact weight threshold, I think we can draw a reasonable conclusion here. If the passenger airbag is off, the passenger is too light and should not be in the front seat.