Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Passenger Door Closing and Drain Plug Removal Safety Issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

lolachampcar

Nov 26, 2012
WPB Florida
I started a separate post for the safety aspect of the information. Mods: Feel free to move as needed.

I ran the idea of removing the door drain plug by Tesla to solve the passenger door hard to close problem. Apparently the SRS side airbags use pressure sensors as part of their deployment hardware and removing a plug can change the equation. In short, Tesla suggests leaving the plugs in for safety reasons and letting service address the door closing problem.

I think this might be a bit overstating things. The sensor works by seeing a spike in air pressure as the door is crushed (apparently this is pretty typical for side air bags). A crash is a sudden event; air simply has to be restricted not totally sealed. This means it can leak, just not at a high rate. I've seen the inside of the door and there are various seals to cover apertures, but they're very obviously not completely air-tight. So I think another small hole isn't going to make a big difference.

If this was changing the pressure profile enough to affect the side airbag deployment, how would it operate if the window was open? I assume the airbag would still deploy in a crash that warranted it even if the window was open, so wouldn't that thwart this theory?

I think this might be a bit overstating things. The sensor works by seeing a spike in air pressure as the door is crushed (apparently this is pretty typical for side air bags). A crash is a sudden event; air simply has to be restricted not totally sealed. This means it can leak, just not at a high rate. I've seen the inside of the door and there are various seals to cover apertures, but they're very obviously not completely air-tight. So I think another small hole isn't going to make a big difference.
I need to see something that supports that contention, Doug. It just doesn't sound right to me. Air is too compressible, IMO, for a system to work effectively. AFAIK they all work with directional accelerometers.

I noticed this problem after getting my car in January - and had several times when the passenger door was left partially opened. But since then, really haven't noticed this issue. Either we've gotten used to closer the door firmer, or it's gotten easier to close.