Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Passenger Door opens when going into Park

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I have problem that started yesterday. Whenever I place my MS into Park the Passenger Door clicks and opens a 1/4 of an inch. Like you pulled the interior handle.

I have not touched anything in the settings. No new SW updates. I called Tesla Support they pulled logs had me try it did some research and called me back. They have no idea I have rebooted the MCU and Speedo display. Tesla phone support said they had one previous report but no idea of the next steps.

Any ideas?

Ohh looks like some Model X's virtual butler features are making their way onto Model S!

All kidding aside, I had the same issue but it only happened once. Car was at the intersection and it just make a loud sound and popped open. Took it to the Service Center and they promptly replaced the handle. Been fine ever since.

They probably just need to replace the offending door handle.

• Funny
Reactions: Snerruc and newtman
Known issue--much more prevalent a while ago. When the car goes into Park, the exterior door handles present/pop out. When someone walks up and grabs the handle and pulls the handle out a bit more, it activates a microswitch that electrically releases the door latch. if the door handle is bad/out of adjustment, when it auto-presents, it can trip the microswitch, and the door auto-opens. Can be inconsistent. Search the forums for lots of old reports. Pretty rare now, but will require a service center visit to adjust/replace.

FWIW, I had 2 bad handles on my 2013 S85.

• Informative
Reactions: brkaus