TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Passenger Door opens when going into Park

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Earthdog, May 22, 2016.

1. Earthdog

Earthdog Member

So I have problem that started yesterday. Whenever I place my MS into Park the Passenger Door clicks and opens a 1/4 of an inch. Like you pulled the interior handle.

I have not touched anything in the settings. No new SW updates. I called Tesla Support they pulled logs had me try it did some research and called me back. They have no idea I have rebooted the MCU and Speedo display. Tesla phone support said they had one previous report but no idea of the next steps.

Any ideas?

2. AB4EJ

AB4EJ Member

You mention no new software updates. I received a software update on my MS a couple of days ago; did you not get this one?

3. DJung

DJung Member

Ohh looks like some Model X's virtual butler features are making their way onto Model S!

All kidding aside, I had the same issue but it only happened once. Car was at the intersection and it just make a loud sound and popped open. Took it to the Service Center and they promptly replaced the handle. Been fine ever since.

They probably just need to replace the offending door handle.

• Funny x 1
  4. bxr140

bxr140 Member

FYI, I have the same problem.

I have a service appointment in two weeks and this is one of the issues I'm asking them to address.

5. reddy

reddy Member

I had that problem, but with the passenger door.

It was not a software issue, it required service to fix it. It was beyond annoying.

6. Earthdog

Earthdog Member

Are you having with any consistency? I can't seem to replicate the behavior its very random.

7. Erandhawa

Erandhawa Member

It happen to me once but never again since.

8. bxr140

bxr140 Member

Nope. It's super inconsistent.

9. JPP

JPP Active Member

Known issue--much more prevalent a while ago. When the car goes into Park, the exterior door handles present/pop out. When someone walks up and grabs the handle and pulls the handle out a bit more, it activates a microswitch that electrically releases the door latch. if the door handle is bad/out of adjustment, when it auto-presents, it can trip the microswitch, and the door auto-opens. Can be inconsistent. Search the forums for lots of old reports. Pretty rare now, but will require a service center visit to adjust/replace.

FWIW, I had 2 bad handles on my 2013 S85.

10. bxr140

bxr140 Member

My passenger (rear) door opens uncommanded. It is not triggered by pulling on any of the handles.

11. JPP

JPP Active Member

...is it happening when you shift into Park or the handles are being extended as you walk up to the car?