Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Passenger entrance into Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What happens if I am picking up a person (I'm already in the drivers seat) and my passenger approaches the passenger door? Do they have to touch the door handle for it to extract? That goes for the other doors also??

What happens if I am picking up a person (I'm already in the drivers seat) and my passenger approaches the passenger door? Do they have to touch the door handle for it to extract? That goes for the other doors also??

Good question. I think if the car is in park it should work, but I've always just thrown the car in park and had the handles extend.

Good question. I think if the car is in park it should work, but I've always just thrown the car in park and had the handles extend.

That will work if you are in Drive to start. And perhaps if you hit Park again after already being in Park it will work...have to test that out. But the issue I think is the time you're sitting in park for a while, the handles will retract after a time, then when my kids get out of school or off the bus or whatever I have to go through the touch screen thing to unlock. Guess I could just open the driver's door, but that seems a tad clumsy too. It's not a huge deal either way, but not a quick one touch solution either, which would be nice.

That will work if you are in Drive to start. And perhaps if you hit Park again after already being in Park it will work...have to test that out. But the issue I think is the time you're sitting in park for a while, the handles will retract after a time, then when my kids get out of school or off the bus or whatever I have to go through the touch screen thing to unlock. Guess I could just open the driver's door, but that seems a tad clumsy too. It's not a huge deal either way, but not a quick one touch solution either, which would be nice.

Yeah, perhaps they can find real estate for a quick "unlock" button on the screen, or find a way to map it like they did with the sunroof. Personally, I wouldn't be offended by another button on the driver's door to do an unlock. The screen is great, but sometimes a real button works better.

Another question - As you approach the car, the door the handles (all 4) present themselves - couldn't that be a SECURITY issue? What happens if you don't want the passenger side doors unlocked as you approach the car? I could definitely see a stalker (watching too many movies) of someone gaining access as I get in. Is there a way to program the car for the driver side door to open ONLY?

Another question - As you approach the car, the door the handles (all 4) present themselves - couldn't that be a SECURITY issue? What happens if you don't want the passenger side doors unlocked as you approach the car? I could definitely see a stalker (watching too many movies) of someone gaining access as I get in. Is there a way to program the car for the driver side door to open ONLY?

I remember hearing that this is coming in an update.

It could be, but are there that any instances of people getting in through something like this? It sounds like the urban legend of the guy hiding in the back seat of the car.

i think that if you're sitting in the car, in park, the handles will eventually retract (1 min, or so) but you are still in unlock. so when the kids reach the car, they should be able to touch the handles and they will pop out. the only time the handles shouldn't come out with a touch is when the doors are locked. which is A, if you press lock, B, if you're moving and the lock when drive away feature is enabled, or C, you have walked away and either manually or automatically locked the car.