TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Passenger entrance into Model S

Discussion in 'Model S' started by UMD86, Dec 28, 2012.

1. UMD86

UMD86 Member

What happens if I am picking up a person (I'm already in the drivers seat) and my passenger approaches the passenger door? Do they have to touch the door handle for it to extract? That goes for the other doors also??

2. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

Good question. I think if the car is in park it should work, but I've always just thrown the car in park and had the handles extend.

3. aviators99

aviators99 Model S - R140

When you put the car in Park, the handles present. If I don't want to be in Park, I go to the Controls screen and press Unlock, which also causes them to present. I don't think touching them will work.

4. efusco

efusco Moderator - Model S & X forums

That will work if you are in Drive to start. And perhaps if you hit Park again after already being in Park it will work...have to test that out. But the issue I think is the time you're sitting in park for a while, the handles will retract after a time, then when my kids get out of school or off the bus or whatever I have to go through the touch screen thing to unlock. Guess I could just open the driver's door, but that seems a tad clumsy too. It's not a huge deal either way, but not a quick one touch solution either, which would be nice.

5. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

Yeah, perhaps they can find real estate for a quick "unlock" button on the screen, or find a way to map it like they did with the sunroof. Personally, I wouldn't be offended by another button on the driver's door to do an unlock. The screen is great, but sometimes a real button works better.

6. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Easiest is to just pop it into Park. The lever is right at your fingertips...

7. UMD86

UMD86 Member

Another question - As you approach the car, the door the handles (all 4) present themselves - couldn't that be a SECURITY issue? What happens if you don't want the passenger side doors unlocked as you approach the car? I could definitely see a stalker (watching too many movies) of someone gaining access as I get in. Is there a way to program the car for the driver side door to open ONLY?

8. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

It seems if you're already in park, you have to cycle through drive and back to park for this to work.

9. Todd Burch

Todd Burch Electron Pilot

I remember hearing that this is coming in an update.

10. fengshui

fengshui Member

It could be, but are there that any instances of people getting in through something like this? It sounds like the urban legend of the guy hiding in the back seat of the car.

11. dtich

dtich #P708

i think that if you're sitting in the car, in park, the handles will eventually retract (1 min, or so) but you are still in unlock. so when the kids reach the car, they should be able to touch the handles and they will pop out. the only time the handles shouldn't come out with a touch is when the doors are locked. which is A, if you press lock, B, if you're moving and the lock when drive away feature is enabled, or C, you have walked away and either manually or automatically locked the car.

12. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

If you are in park and the handles have retracted again, then as long as the doors are unlocked they should respond to a touch from outside. Or you can just crack the driver's door and they will all extend again.