Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Passenger Fender Camera Displays Black

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Weirdest thing yesterday, so I wanted to run it by the group. My wife and I drove to my grandmother’s yesterday to take her out to dinner. When we got in the car and turned on the backup camera, the passenger side camera wasn’t functioning and Autopilit shut down. We parked, came back, same problem. I tried a soft and hard restart both there and once we got home, same problem. It’s like the software was trying to connect to the camera but couldn’t; you’ll notice the loader circle in the photo. I got a service appointment set for the 28th.

3909AD31-AD02-4EDE-9E6B-90608E9AF58A.jpeg

Behold, the next morning I go to take the car out and…it’s working again - like nothing happened! I’ve taken the car out twice today and everything is back to functional state. Has anyone had this issue before? I think I’m going to keep the service appointment because times less than 3 weeks out are hard to come by in Springfield, NJ - and it looks like there’s condensation in the camera housing that shouldn’t be there. If I’m lucky maybe the tech will see what’s going on remotely when preparing for my appointment. Any thoughts?
2C3197EB-53C9-4AD4-B89D-B2C4B937703A.jpeg

Weirdest thing yesterday, so I wanted to run it by the group. My wife and I drove to my grandmother’s yesterday to take her out to dinner. When we got in the car and turned on the backup camera, the passenger side camera wasn’t functioning and Autopilit shut down. We parked, came back, same problem. I tried a soft and hard restart both there and once we got home, same problem. It’s like the software was trying to connect to the camera but couldn’t; you’ll notice the loader circle in the photo. I got a service appointment set for the 28th.

View attachment 711980

Behold, the next morning I go to take the car out and…it’s working again - like nothing happened! I’ve taken the car out twice today and everything is back to functional state. Has anyone had this issue before? I think I’m going to keep the service appointment because times less than 3 weeks out are hard to come by in Springfield, NJ - and it looks like there’s condensation in the camera housing that shouldn’t be there. If I’m lucky maybe the tech will see what’s going on remotely when preparing for my appointment. Any thoughts?
View attachment 711981
Guess it took a while for the reboot to take effect. Would be interesting to know what the tech says.
Totally unrelated question... is that moisture inside the camera on the 2nd picture?

Oh yes - that was the verdict. I took it in for the service appointment and two problems were corrected:

1. Whole camera assembly was replaced. The tech said water was getting inside because it wasn’t fitted correctly at the factory, and a water sensor inside automatically shut it down so as to prevent damage. That’s why It came back on after a day, but nonetheless Tesla replaced everything under warranty.
  2. For whatever reason my car was stuck on an earlier software version. We have one of the first vision only models, and evidently that got us stuck in a stalled build release. That got all fixed up, and now have Disney+ :cool:.
Wasn't happy to need to take the car in, but Tesla made it pretty painless and helped me get around for the day. The folks at the Springfield service center are really chill!