Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Passenger front window has hard time closing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ohmman

Upright Member
Global Moderator
Feb 13, 2014
North Bay/Truckee, CA
I've had an issue pop up in the last few few weeks with my 2014 P85. The behavior is that the window wants to reverse back to open whenever I'm closing it. Initially, it only presented itself when I would fully pull up to "fast close" the passenger window. But it has progressed and gotten worse to where it's quite difficult to close in any way. It doesn't happen at one specific height; it will reverse anywhere from a tiny bit closed to about 1/3 open. But past there, it seems to safely fully close.

My inkling is that there's a safety sensor that reverses in case of trapped fingers/etc, and that either the window is having a tough time closing and triggering that sensor, or that the sensor is malfunctioning. But I'd like to hear other ideas.

I've had an issue pop up in the last few few weeks with my 2014 P85. The behavior is that the window wants to reverse back to open whenever I'm closing it. Initially, it only presented itself when I would fully pull up to "fast close" the passenger window. But it has progressed and gotten worse to where it's quite difficult to close in any way. It doesn't happen at one specific height; it will reverse anywhere from a tiny bit closed to about 1/3 open. But past there, it seems to safely fully close.

My inkling is that there's a safety sensor that reverses in case of trapped fingers/etc, and that either the window is having a tough time closing and triggering that sensor, or that the sensor is malfunctioning. But I'd like to hear other ideas.

Have you tried to recalibrate? Hold the down setting and let the window run down, then keep holding the button down for like 5 seconds. Then hold the up setting and get the window to run all the way up and keep holding it up for like an additional 5 seconds. Let go, then try the press and release to fully lower, and pull up and release to close.

If this does not work, then it's time to have service take a look--might need a new regulator.

• Helpful
Reactions: ohmman
We had the same problem in our 2014 S85, Ohmman. The Ranger came out to the house and disassembled the door. He found that the rubber cover that covers one of the larger holes in the door frame had come unglued. It provided enough resistance to the upward movement of the window that the sensor determined there was blockage and immediately rolled back down.

He replaced everything with the window save the glass and voila! no problems since.

• Helpful
Reactions: ohmman