Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

passenger handle present when set to only driver...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

zambono

Mar 1, 2016
DC
quick question I tried a google search and didn't find anything. I have set the auto present to be for the driver only, mostly so that the motors don't wear on the other door handles for no reason. Why is it that once I am near and my door auto presents my wife can't touch the door handle to open hers. I understand if its a security reason, is there a workaround other than remote which opens all, or having to sit inside and hit lock and then unlock on the screen thanks?

It's working as designed. There was some talk on here about the uni versus multi present. It's for security that ONLY the driver door presents and can be used to get in, ignoring other doors by touch.

You've hit the workarounds... get inside, press unlock. Or double press remote, unlock all.

Decide if you need uni more than multi present and set it the way you want it to default.

I'm not sure if the setting sticks with a user a profile, but try that. Maybe, for your wife's solo trips, she wants uni present. But you're OK with multi.

By the way... it's not the motor you worry about with all the presents. What you're saving is stress on the micro switch wiring, which, when it breaks, causes you to not be able to get into the door. The motor is a tank and could do this all day long every day... it's the switch wires that are fragile. The idea of not over-using the door presentation is a good one for sure to preserve this wear and tear.

I really wish they'd have auto locking based on geolocation so that if you're at home inside you're garage the door handles just stay out and the car remains unlocked unless you explicitly lock it. You'd of course be able to set this in the settings. This way when I'm at home and forget to put the key away, the door isn't constantly locking and unlocking as I move in and out of the garage dozens of times a day on the weekends.

Reactions: ishop4more
You can hit the end of the gear selector as if you were putting it in park to unlock the passenger door and present the handles. I find that the easiest way. You can even reach that standing outside the drivers door so they can get in before you if you wish.

I wish Tesla would use that button as a toggle instead of requiring you to press the touch screen to re-lock the doors. Why not just press the button on the stalk to unlock, press it again to lock, etc.?