Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Passenger handle won't autopresent

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm not sure what I should be looking for, but my 2012 passenger handle won't present when pressed. The drives side works fine... Is there a known issue with this breaking? If so, how do I go about fixing it? I imagine it's just a microswitch or something in there? Is there a guide on how to fix a handle that won't present when pressed? It operates just fine if I unlock it from inside the car with the icon or if I use the fob, but it just won't pop out when a passenger wants to get in.

Possibly dumb question: is "Door Unlock Mode" set to Driver, or All? I noticed a similar issue until I realized mine was set to Driver.

LtCUsy0.jpg

Of course, it could also be a mechanical issue given the vintage of the handle.

Yes, I already checked the settings. It's not an unlock problem, it's a present problem. The handle won't present when pressed, even when unlocked. It presents when unlocked from the inside and presents when unlocked with the FOB just fine.

I'm not sure what I should be looking for, but my 2012 passenger handle won't present when pressed. The drives side works fine... Is there a known issue with this breaking? If so, how do I go about fixing it? I imagine it's just a microswitch or something in there? Is there a guide on how to fix a handle that won't present when pressed? It operates just fine if I unlock it from inside the car with the icon or if I use the fob, but it just won't pop out when a passenger wants to get in.

This is not an uncommon failure. There are lots of DIY videos on YouTube. Just search "tesla door handle fix". Good luck!

Everything I've found addresses one of two things:

1. The door handle won't present at all (broken gear)
2. The door won't open when handle is pulled (broken microswitch)

I haven't found anything that addresses the problem of the handle not popping out when pressed, but otherwise operating properly.

Mine broke yesterday, i just pulled the mechanism, here is broken gear that presents the handle. I found unit on eBay.
While you have door panel off, I recommend putting dyna mat inside. It really helps quieten the road noise.

Attachments

• 20171212_132205.jpg
    20171212_132205.jpg
    377.8 KB · Views: 40
Everything I've found addresses one of two things:

1. The door handle won't present at all (broken gear)
2. The door won't open when handle is pulled (broken microswitch)

I haven't found anything that addresses the problem of the handle not popping out when pressed, but otherwise operating properly.

I think there are two micro-switches that can break. One to detect a push on the handle to trigger it presenting and one to detect pulling the handle to open the door.

Reactions: efusco