Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Passenger in seat, Screens off. Normal?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When the wife is driving, and I'm sitting in the passenger seat and the wife gets out for a restroom break, the car goes "off" -- screens off. HVAC off. Navigation off. WTH? I have my key in my pocket, and I'd really like the AC on and see what the state of charge is so I can say "Come back -- we're ready to go." I can open my door and the screens come on and let me do stuff, but not with the door closed.

Is this normal? Seems bizarre.

When the wife is driving, and I'm sitting in the passenger seat and the wife gets out for a restroom break, the car goes "off" -- screens off. HVAC off. Navigation off. WTH? I have my key in my pocket, and I'd really like the AC on and see what the state of charge is so I can say "Come back -- we're ready to go." I can open my door and the screens come on and let me do stuff, but not with the door closed.

Is this normal? Seems bizarre.

Normal. Just tap the 17" screen as she gets out and it goes blank. @Bridor beat me to it...

For those that say this is normal, can you list your firmware revision?
This was changed (corrected?) a while back. It definitely was that way in 7.1, but somewhere either at or after 8.0 they introduced a feature that keeps the MCU, A/C, Radio, etc, turned on if the driver exits and the passenger is still seated in the car.

Yes this is normal. Carry a spare watermelon and put it in the driver seat whenever wife has to leave the seat. Or just tap on the screen. For the AC, ask the wife to use remote climate control as she leaves (or do it yourself with the app on your phone)
"Watermelon" LOL!
Seriously guys/gals, this has been resolved since 8.0 was release back in September, 2016. I can leave the car and my MCU doesn't shutdown if there is still a passenger sitting in the front passenger seat. I can't say if the seatbelt being on or off makes a difference, however my passengers are always buckled.

"Watermelon" LOL!
Seriously guys/gals, this has been resolved since 8.0 was release back in September, 2016. I can leave the car and my MCU doesn't shutdown if there is still a passenger sitting in the front passenger seat. I can't say if the seatbelt being on or off makes a difference, however my passengers are always buckled.

New car, picked up this past Friday. Latest software.

I got out of the car with my daughter in the front passenger seat. As soon as I closed the door the screen went off. She touched it and all came right back on.

• Informative
Reactions: David99
You don't need a colleague: just get into the right side instead of the left. Close the door and the HVAC and screen turn off. Even someone opening a BACK door will turn it on again.

Oh, and my car was built in October, which my calendar clearly shows is after September....

Yes, I used the app to turn the AC on. It may only be March, but we were in Texas.

Okay, I *did* take a colleague, to eliminate any error in simulation. It works exactly as I described... We both got in, buckled-up, drove around the parking lot, parked, I unbuckled and got out while he stayed in the car, I closed the door and everything stayed running. He then unbuckled and everything stayed running. I then walked 50 yards away and the doors remained unlocked (instead of auto-locking).

If your passenger isn't buckled when the driver gets out, the systems will shutdown. However, they can unbuckle after you exit and close the door. At that point everything will stay running (even being unbuckled) until they get out, in which case all systems shutdown.

Another scenario to test, which only takes one person: approach the car with key, get into the front passenger seat. Note the HVAC and screens come on -- and stay on while the door is open. Close the door, and in MY car, at least, HVAC and screens* go off instantly. Open the door, and back on. Be careful not to injure yourself rolling your eyes.

*(Instrument screen stays on if car is charging.)