Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Passenger lumbar support missing from new MY

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It was ok for you guys to buy a so call $55k car without heated steering wheel before? And its not ok now to buy it without the passenger lumber support you don't even use???
Honestly, Tesla didn't charge you extra when adding new stuffs, and shouldn't complain when it removes some features.
I would much rather swap the heated steering wheel that I never use for the passenger lumbar support that will get used for long trips. It's not so much the fact that they are taking away a rarely used option so much as it is the fact that people are paying more for less. "Price went up $1k in a month and oh btw we are taking away radar and Lumbar support. Enjoy!"

I would much rather swap the heated steering wheel that I never use for the passenger lumbar support that will get used for long trips. It's not so much the fact that they are taking away a rarely used option so much as it is the fact that people are paying more for less. "Price went up $1k in a month and oh btw we are taking away radar and Lumbar support. Enjoy!"
Lumber support can be substitute with amazon $25 lumber support pillow. But then you can't substitute anything for a heated steering wheel. I just put the steering wheel for example. Didnt even count the double pine front windows, free tesla usb thumb drive, auto dimming rear view mirrors. These features are added this year alone so far, without the lumber support isn't a too big of a deal

I might be the only person on the planet that dislikes lumbar support so I won’t even miss it. I have lower back problems and they hurt. I bought a gazillion dollar Aeron chair because everyone likes them, but I couldn’t sit in it because it presses on my back.

International flights? Deflated. My Tesla? Disabled as much as I could.

I might be the only person on the planet that dislikes lumbar support so I won’t even miss it. I have lower back problems and they hurt. I bought a gazillion dollar Aeron chair because everyone likes them, but I couldn’t sit in it because it presses on my back.

International flights? Deflated. My Tesla? Disabled as much as I could.
I'm like you. I have mine setup as flat as possible. I don't like the pressure on my lower back.

Lumber support can be substitute with amazon $25 lumber support pillow. But then you can't substitute anything for a heated steering wheel. I just put the steering wheel for example. Didnt even count the double pine front windows, free tesla usb thumb drive, auto dimming rear view mirrors. These features are added this year alone so far, without the lumber support isn't a too big of a deal
If lumbar support can be substituted by pillows. Then heated steering wheel can be substituted by gloves? Everything can be substituted. Taking features away is taking features away.

Tho now that Elon has posted I wonder if the change will be permanent. Or is it just round 2 of non dimming mirrors - where customers magically want the feature back when supply of parts go back up

Last edited:
Elon says passenger lumbar was removed due to supply shortages.

He said it's taken off "because it's not used". What's happening is supply shortage. He really didn't admit to that in his post...

At least he addressed it now. Not sure if it means it's more likely to be a permanent change, and if it's permanent then I am more ok with it.

Of course it isn't going to be used much, if you are driving with the same person in the passenger seat most of the time, once it is set in the perfect position, I don't think it will be changed too often..
I use it. We switch driver some times.

What I don't use are back seats. Maybe I won't have them when I take delivery. And because it's a Tesla I should feel ok about it.

He said it's taken off "because it's not used". What's happening is supply shortage. He really didn't admit to that in his post...

At least he addressed it now. Not sure if it means it's more likely to be a permanent change, and if it's permanent then I am more ok with it.

I can kind of buy Elon's rational, but if it wasn't a supply shortage, they should make it a post delivery option like the garage door opener.

How about a nice pair of gloves? ;)
Hey now, don’t give Tesla any ideas or the next batch of customers will find heated steering wheels missing and a pair of (Tesla branded) these in the glovebox:

Attachments

• EB6A7509-4E6C-41E2-8961-989147AF6CC4.jpeg
    EB6A7509-4E6C-41E2-8961-989147AF6CC4.jpeg
    472 KB · Views: 60
are you assuming white (seat) privilege?

Those features were all present on orders delivered the last couple months (other than $50 ppf), again at lower purchase prices- that is the underlying issue here. BMW does not offer lumbar support right now, but are giving a -$250 credit on the window sticker in full transparency.

Reactions: HillClimb
Why do people act like this is Tesla reducing costs? This is Tesla fugging over customers because they have a parts shortage. They pulled a safety feature (radar) and now an important comfort feature (passenger lumbar) and aren't telling a soul about it.

Musk and Tesla have zero integrity. They should retrofit these parts once they have them in stock. They just want to keep their delivery numbers high and F the customer to do it.

Very close to cancelling my order and looking at a competitor. Tesla is very lucky they have their supercharger network and better batteries otherwise it would be a no brainer.