Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Passenger lumbar support missing from new MY

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is a great example of Tesla being able to use their vast amount of data to make production decisions.

If seat lumbar supports are in limited supply, Tesla would need to perhaps reduce production by 1/2. With tons of people waiting for a long time to get their cars Tesla could simply only put one in the drivers side, and eliminate the passenger one.

They looked at their data and found out the passenger seat power adjustable lumbar support was almost never used. Made the decision quickly to eliminate the passenger one, and kept producing cars at full speed.

Side benefit is reductions in production costs and vehicle weight.

Reality is that perhaps very few buyers would check an order box to add passenger seat power adjustable lumbar seats if that was an $175 option.
ok. so where is my $175 then?

My girlfriend set up the lumbar support to her liking in January when I got the car, and hasn’t touched it since then. I’m assuming that in Tesla’s data, it would show that it’s only been used once in almost 5 months. When it’s actually been appreciated for all that time.
I don’t understand the apologists here. If you are a fan, or want the stock price to skyrocket, shouldn’t you be advocating for Tesla to be as close to perfect as possible, instead of defending their mistakes until your faces are blue? Coming on here and saying that Tesla has nothing to blamed for here, or in all other shortcomings isn’t going to make the stock price go up one cent.

For all those advocating legal action against Tesla for removing lumbar support might want to look at this disclosure in the owner's manual:

PRODUCT SPECIFICATIONS
All specifications and descriptions contained in this document are verified to be accurate at the time of printing. However, because continuous improvement is a goal at Tesla, we reserve the right to make product modifications at any time.

My girlfriend set up the lumbar support to her liking in January when I got the car, and hasn’t touched it since then. I’m assuming that in Tesla’s data, it would show that it’s only been used once in almost 5 months. When it’s actually been appreciated for all that time.
I don’t understand the apologists here. If you are a fan, or want the stock price to skyrocket, shouldn’t you be advocating for Tesla to be as close to perfect as possible, instead of defending their mistakes until your faces are blue? Coming on here and saying that Tesla has nothing to blamed for here, or in all other shortcomings isn’t going to make the stock price go up one cent.
This exactly! Consumer advocacy is product advocacy. We’re all rooting for the home team but lack of criticism is lack of progress.

For all those advocating legal action against Tesla for removing lumbar support might want to look at this disclosure in the owner's manual:
Who referenced the owners manual as a place to get accurate information about the car you ordered? The last Model 3 manual was updated 8 months ago.

The web site said "12-way power adjustable heated front seats" at the moment you placed your order as a feature of the vehicle. AFTER the order was placed, that was changed to "Power adjustable front seats", with no notification to people that had already bought.

Also, by your logic, Tesla could deliver you a Ford Focus with a gas engine that gets 10 MPG, saying "the manual said anything could change," no promises were made, no refunds, buyer beware. Or they could just send you a firmware update in the future that reduces your range to 10 miles "for continuous improvement reasons."

Last edited:
Sorry, was the adjustable lumbar support for the passenger seat on some (virtual) paper you signed? Or did you just assume that the car you saw in the showroom would be exactly the car you would get, despite it being common knowledge that Tesla changes their cars constantly?

I know the Alcantara headliner you mentioned as an earlier sin was not mentioned anywhere on the paperwork. I got it on my December 2017 Model 3 and it was gone shortly after. So what? People whined, but it was totally irrelevant.

No, I haven't noticed that low regen was removed. I didn't go to the snow this COVID winter, so I never wanted it. But if so, hooray! One less thing to fool around with. Since I trust Tesla it means to me that they made the car smarter so that it would choose the right regen for the traction available, and it would drive even better on snow and ice that it already did (which was pretty great). Plus it would improve over time. I imagine that set off a big whine-fest as well.

It really doesn't matter what the specific issues are. If you don't trust Tesla then you will never be happy with the car. And you know they hold your life in their hands with what they do with the car, so if you don't trust them then it's just plain stupid to get one of their cars. The firmware updates change the car over and over. You have to trust them.
You don’t have to answer, but I’m curious if you are long on the stock. Yes, even if you are, you could still objectively believe your last two statements.

I’d be curious to see a poll of prospective buyers at different points in the buying cycle and their response to your last 2 last sentences, posed as a question toward purchase, followed by these statements:

(Your statements)

Tesla constantly updates the firmware on its cars. “The firmware updates change the car over and over. You have to trust them.”

Would you be more, less, or indifferent to purchase a Tesla vehicle based on the following owner experiences:

• Tesla may remove ordered features after your order, but prior to your delivery based on its assessment of their value
  • Tesla will continue to update the firmware of the car, both adding and removing features
  • After receiving your car, should you have any issues, you will need to communicate with Tesla through the mobile app. If you encounter an issue with this you can resubmit a question via the mobile app
With the very small sample size of people I have discussed these items with (5-8), the result was mostly negative toward purchase.

If you care about the company and/or the stock, I would suggest this is not positive. Once there is enough competition in the market, the game will need to change.

You don’t have to answer, but I’m curious if you are long on the stock. Yes, even if you are, you could still objectively believe your last two statements.

I’d be curious to see a poll of prospective buyers at different points in the buying cycle and their response to your last 2 last sentences, posed as a question toward purchase, followed by these statements:

(Your statements)

Tesla constantly updates the firmware on its cars. “The firmware updates change the car over and over. You have to trust them.”

Would you be more, less, or indifferent to purchase a Tesla vehicle based on the following owner experiences:

• Tesla may remove ordered features after your order, but prior to your delivery based on its assessment of their value
  • Tesla will continue to update the firmware of the car, both adding and removing features
  • After receiving your car, should you have any issues, you will need to communicate with Tesla through the mobile app. If you encounter an issue with this you can resubmit a question via the mobile app
With the very small sample size of people I have discussed these items with (5-8), the result was mostly negative toward purchase.

If you care about the company and/or the stock, I would suggest this is not positive. Once there is enough competition in the market, the game will need to change.
I've been a Tesla bull since 2013. I've bought three Teslas with a tiny percentage of my stock profits. I'll no doubt buy a few more over time.

Tesla communications suck, and they have done so forever. I think this is because Elon Musk doesn't care about communicating with customers, so there's never a Tesla executive in charge of making that work, at least not for very long. The last one who cared (Jon McNeill) left in early 2018. I absolutely agree that in the current case, Tesla should have let people know what they were doing, but I think it's a real stretch to call a passenger lumbar adjustment control a "promised feature". It's a minor detail.

But I do believe that Tesla is dedicated to making great cars. If your idea of a great car is different from Tesla's, then you will be unhappy with some of their decisions as to what constitutes great, or even what makes things better. And Tesla is playing a long game so better sometimes means two steps forward and one step back. That's how engineering works.

At any one moment you can take some item and say it was better last week. Sure. But the car overall is better, at least so far as Tesla is concerned. If you can't handle this, you'll be unhappy with the cars. If you think Tesla is trying to bleed their customers dry and take advantage of them, then you'll be unhappy with their cars. So don't buy them if that's the case. Somebody else will.

Me, I love the experience of getting a new car every couple of months by way of a significant firmware update. Sometimes it isn't really much better as it turns out (e.g. I couldn't care less about fart sounds and games), at least for me, but if not, then it will be better next time. Meanwhile, the cars are so good that a little wobble just doesn't concern me.

I'm in Ontario and took delivery of my MY last Friday, and mine has passenger lumbar support. Also has mud flaps, and PPF. I'm not sure why the difference; my VIN ends with "184..."

I also agree it's a premium, but not a luxury car. A luxury electric SUV would be the i-Pace, for instance.

😳 fanatic much? who pissed in your cheerios? The Y is absolutely considered a Luxury car by not just individuals but businesses like limo services etc... Options absolutely do affect resale value. Tesla’s don’t have traditional trim levels so they are a sum of their parts and luxury options. Adjustable seats are part of the equation. If you were the buyer and had to choose between identical cars, one with and one without, you’re telling me this wouldn’t matter?
Fanatic? no. Realist? Yes. Sorry but the MY is not a luxury car. Its just not. Compare it to an Audi or a Mercedes its not even close interior quality wise. A great car? yes. Premium? Sure. luxury? No. And no lumbar is not a "luxury" feature lol, you can get lumbar support in friggen Kia. The fact of the matter is no one that wants to buy a model y on the secondary market is going to say "nah Im going to pass on this car because the passenger side Dosen have lumbar support". Do you know how ridiculous that sounds?

I don't disagree with this perspective - they should do a better job of PR even without a PR dept - but at the same time, we also got items like the heated wheel, auto-dimming mirrors and double-pane front windows for 'free'. And no mention of these items as they came on-stream last fall. I'd trade the passenger's lumbar support for all of those items, no questions asked. Funny how no one (or very few) gave Tesla kudos for adding these items but they get slammed for removing a relatively small feature. Seems like there are more 'anti-fanbois' than 'fanbois' on here lately. ;)
Thankfully, I got my Y in December. My wife has a bad back and really appreciated the lumbar support both when we test drove the Y in October before placing our order and later when went on our road trip in March. For her it wasn't a small feature, it was major plus. Had Tesla taken this feature out, we would have returned the Y the same week we got it. Again, I don't object to them taking it, or any other feature they choose to remove, assuming buyers are notified in advance and get back all of their funds including the order fee, if they don't want it without the removed feature. Secondly, if Tesla wants to hold down these complaints they should make removed items (where possible) service center installation items like the garage door remote.

Reactions: electricar
This whole thing could’ve been completely avoided had Tesla simply said any of the following:

-We don’t have enough lumbar parts. So rather than make 5 cars with passenger and driver adjustable lumbar support, we’re making 10 cars with only driver lumbar support so we can deliver.

-those with affected cars can wait for parts to arrive and we’ll install them at an SC free of charge,

-or opt for an x discount price, or free supercharger miles for x time.

Wow, so easy! And yet, no, they didn’t. They chose to lie about it. Cover up for something that needn’t be covered. And while it would get some people upset (because there’s no making everyone happy) this approach would’ve been far better. Its at least honest.

Tesla desperately needs a PR dept.

Last edited:
@omniEye I've seen one thread here in TMC asking about using the MY as a "limo" of sorts, but I'm thinking if you were to survey limo operators you would find and underwhelming percentage might identify the MY as a good candidate for limousine service.
I was at the Carmel Highlands, hooking my car up to their destination charger when another Y pulled up and dropped of a couple. We got to talking and they said that they had arranged for limo service from the Monterey Airport. It might have been an uber or a lyft, but I didn't see the sign.

• Informative
Reactions: angus[Y]oung
People accepting delivery of new MY are getting cars without lumbar support on the passenger seat. See this:

I can confirm this. I took delivery this past Sunday and the passenger lumbar support is gone. Only the driver seat still has it...for now. I can also tell you, I only saw a handful of deliveries this past Sunday, like around 6 or 7, maybe holiday weekend who knows but it would seems vehicle shortage is becoming a reality and I can see more price increases coming up.