Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Passenger lumbar support missing from new MY

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It was ok for you guys to buy a so call $55k car without heated steering wheel before? And its not ok now to buy it without the passenger lumber support you don't even use???
Honestly, Tesla didn't charge you extra when adding new stuffs, and shouldn't complain when it removes some features.
Spoken like a true fanatic fanboy.

Removing features and not informing customers is technically illegal. You bought a product with certain features. If they remove those features they are obligated to deliver them. If they can't, and they don't inform you (like the lumbar support) they would absolutely lose in court of the customer sued. Now as to what they would win that is debatable and likely not at all worth the effort. But pretending this is ok is just what someone who is so bought into the cult that they refuse to acknowledge the koolaid when they know what's in the cup.

Why do people act like this is Tesla reducing costs? This is Tesla fugging over customers because they have a parts shortage. They pulled a safety feature (radar) and now an important comfort feature (passenger lumbar) and aren't telling a soul about it.

Musk and Tesla have zero integrity. They should retrofit these parts once they have them in stock. They just want to keep their delivery numbers high and F the customer to do it.

Very close to cancelling my order and looking at a competitor. Tesla is very lucky they have their supercharger network and better batteries otherwise it would be a no brainer.
“Tesla is very lucky they have their supercharger network and better batteries otherwise it would be a no brainer.”

this is the only reason I went Tesla. And why I hope more manufacturers will step up there game and give Tesla a run for there money.

Honestly, this is very poor public relations. I'm a supporter of Tesla, Elon, and EVs, but the "logs showed low usage" excuse from Elon is unacceptable. If there are supply chain shortages and you need to delete features to compensate, that's perfectly understandable, but you need to be transparent with prospective owners up front (especially if the manufacturer is going to pocket the savings). By Elon's logic, Tesla has enough data to support deletion of the heated steering wheel, heated seats, vanity mirrors, etc. In hot environments, heated wheel/seat usage will be low and some people never use the vanity mirror.

Ultimately, a new owner losing out on a $200 feature doesn't seem like a huge deal, but you cannot put a price on trust and transparency.

“Tesla is very lucky they have their supercharger network and better batteries otherwise it would be a no brainer.”

this is the only reason I went Tesla. And why I hope more manufacturers will step up there game and give Tesla a run for there money.
That's the same reason I'm thinking about going with Tesla. The supercharger network is a godsend in WV where EV adoption is slow (at best). If I considered a Mustang Mach-E for example there's no DC quick charging anywhere around me. So for my purposes if I want to do more than just hang around my area I have to go Tesla.

I might be the only person on the planet that dislikes lumbar support so I won’t even miss it. I have lower back problems and they hurt. I bought a gazillion dollar Aeron chair because everyone likes them, but I couldn’t sit in it because it presses on my back.

International flights? Deflated. My Tesla? Disabled as much as I could.
Wow a kindred spirit - someone else with a bad back who bought a stupid expensive Aeron chair they can’t sit in w/o hurting. BUT I do like having lumbar support. Sometimes it helps, sometimes it doesn’t. My back problems manifest with different symptoms depending on day. Kind of like Tesla’s rationale for feature enhancement/detraction.

Funny thing - a dinner topic today was around an extended family member saying they needed a new car, and their teenage daughter suggesting a Tesla.. My reaction was (you guessed it) negative. I cited the removal of lumbar support as an example of Tesla’s unpredictability around supporting it’s customers vs its growth/revenue. And of course the myriad other examples that are all over the forum. I enjoy my car and keep hoping for the company to get beyond this phase, but I won’t recommend it to family and friends w/o making them aware of the pitfalls. Just like investors need consistency of revenue and profit, customers need consistency with quality and support. Eventually these two curves are going to intersect.

Reactions: pilotSteve
Why do people act like this is Tesla reducing costs? This is Tesla fugging over customers because they have a parts shortage. They pulled a safety feature (radar) and now an important comfort feature (passenger lumbar) and aren't telling a soul about it.

Musk and Tesla have zero integrity. They should retrofit these parts once they have them in stock. They just want to keep their delivery numbers high and F the customer to do it.

Very close to cancelling my order and looking at a competitor. Tesla is very lucky they have their supercharger network and better batteries otherwise it would be a no brainer.
Exactly I can't agree more. I think it's pretty obvious that its a shortage issue. But everything they are saying are "oh we are moving to vision" (which has been called out to be immature) and "oh the log shows that no one uses the lumbar support (meanwhile it's evident from BMW that this is more likely a supply issue). Calling it lies would be a bit far - but they certainly are counting on us being stupid or completely complacent.

This is one long whiny thread. So they removed the lumbar support control from the passenger seat, making it non-adjustable. Elon's tweet was fairly clear: it wasn't used enough to justify its cost and mass in every car. So now that it's gone the car costs less to make, which obviously allows slightly lower pricing. And the car weighs less, which improves range, handling, tire wear, etc. Everything is a tradeoff, and it's Tesla that gets to decide what's best.

Meanwhile, sadly, prices are going up because the "chip shortage" is actually the "raw materials and supplies shortage" driving up the prices of all the bits used to make the car. A separate issue entirely.

And yet it's all "They took away something I'll never use, the lying scum!". If you think that way, just don't buy the car. You'll interpret every firmware change to make the car better as making it worse and it will just make you unhappy.

This is one long whiny thread. So they removed the lumbar support control from the passenger seat, making it non-adjustable. Elon's tweet was fairly clear: it wasn't used enough to justify its cost and mass in every car. So now that it's gone the car costs less to make, which obviously allows slightly lower pricing. And the car weighs less, which improves range, handling, tire wear, etc. Everything is a tradeoff, and it's Tesla that gets to decide what's best.

Meanwhile, sadly, prices are going up because the "chip shortage" is actually the "raw materials and supplies shortage" driving up the prices of all the bits used to make the car. A separate issue entirely.

And yet it's all "They took away something I'll never use, the lying scum!". If you think that way, just don't buy the car. You'll interpret every firmware change to make the car better as making it worse and it will just make you unhappy.
Don't understand why you would think less features is good.

I do think that way. And I am not happy with their decision. There are still things I like about the car. I don't understand why people assume that if I am not happy about one thing I will have to leave it altogether and buy another car. To me that's the same as saying "well I can't think of anything to say I will just shut down this debate".

I like the car and the company. But I also can't be delusionally happy about everything they do. Good or bad.

If we can't accept criticisms and are complacent to everything Tesla - that is not conducive to the growth of the company or us as consumers.

Last edited:
Honestly, this is very poor public relations. I'm a supporter of Tesla, Elon, and EVs, but the "logs showed low usage" excuse from Elon is unacceptable. If there are supply chain shortages and you need to delete features to compensate, that's perfectly understandable, but you need to be transparent with prospective owners up front (especially if the manufacturer is going to pocket the savings). By Elon's logic, Tesla has enough data to support deletion of the heated steering wheel, heated seats, vanity mirrors, etc. In hot environments, heated wheel/seat usage will be low and some people never use the vanity mirror.

Ultimately, a new owner losing out on a $200 feature doesn't seem like a huge deal, but you cannot put a price on trust and transparency.

Of course Tesla could do what Toyota did on my Supra of many many years ago. They deleted the standard mud flaps and gave me an credit of under $100.00. Once the mud flaps were back in stock, the dealer called me and asked if I wanted to bring the car in for their installation. The cost of the dealer installing them was almost triple the credit. The explanation was I got a credit for the manufacturers wholesale cost of the part and factory installation and I would now need to pay the retail price plus the dealer's labor fee. Somehow, I have a feeling that doing an post delivery reinstallation of the lumbar support will cost more than the credit Tesla might grant (which of course they aren't).

Of course Tesla could do what Toyota did on my Supra of many many years ago. They deleted the standard mud flaps and gave me an credit of under $100.00. Once the mud flaps were back in stock, the dealer called me and asked if I wanted to bring the car in for their installation. The cost of the dealer installing them was almost triple the credit. The explanation was I got a credit for the manufacturers wholesale cost of the part and factory installation and I would now need to pay the retail price plus the dealer's labor fee. Somehow, I have a feeling that doing an post delivery reinstallation of the lumbar support will cost more than the credit Tesla might grant (which of course they aren't).
I think in this case it will definitely be no credit and no retrofit. They can't be bothered. The cars are selling themselves and flying off shelves.

• Funny
Reactions: Exelion

It's the principle, and it has a lot to do with how some people have seen a car, saw what it has, put a reservation on it, and come to find out after delivery that it's missing a feature they paid for, are expecting, yet not there. It's as bad as if you bought a car, only to find out the dealer gave you one without a sunroof, (yet you paid for it), and only found out after you drove home, and noticed it missing. Would you be a little (if not a lot) upset?

A long time ago, it was Alcantara headliner, then it was Low regen (do you remember that one?), today, it's passenger lumbar, tomorrow its radar, then what? No wait, don't answer that, I really don't want to wake up and find yet another feature gone. Sure, I get Tesla adds features, but the taking away features without telling people first, and having them find out about it the hard way is not nice.

Still like the car, just these little things the company does keeps it from advancing from good to great. I can like the guy (Elon) without liking the absurd things he posts, and I can like the way the company does business, except for some things, this (and some others) being one of them.

Last edited:
There’s a lot of “guys this is a genius move, Tesla know what they’re doing abd lol you never used it did you” zealotry on the Twitter thread, which is to be expected I suppose.

All it makes me wonder is how many things Tesla could remove before those people start to have second thoughts.

It’s plain as day that this all relates to part shortages rather than the claimed reasoning of “stats show little use”. As remarked above, you could make the exact same argument about numerous things - the vanity mirrors, heated steering wheels. I mean I’ve only opened my glovebox a couple of times since I got the car last year, might as well seal it up!

Would the exact same “stats show little use” argument not apply to the S/X too?

I’d have a lot more respect for Tesla if they said it was part shortages and offered a rebate or retrofit promise. As it is, like “Tesla Vision” releasing prematurely, this really feels like “must sell cars at all costs”

Last edited:

Same. I was very close to ordering a UX250h because it has all the features and options I want in a car but then there was that little gas shortage scare a few weeks ago and all the gas stations near my house had ridiculous lines(my mom waited in line for almost an hour to fill up her Rav4 Hybrid). After that I decided to just go with Tesla.

Even before the removal of the lumbar support the Model Y was already missing most of the features I like for example HUD, radar BSM, excellent build quality etc. but the fact that I will never have to go to a gas station again and that it's actually practical to road trip a Tesla due to the Supercharger network sealed the deal.

Maybe 6 - 10 years down the line once I decide to get a new car other companies might finally have some actual competitors to Tesla and at that time I might switch brands.

Reactions: Exelion
It's the principle, and it has a lot to do with how some people have seen a car, saw what it has, put a reservation on it, and come to find out after delivery that it's missing a feature they paid for, are expecting, yet not there. It's as bad as if you bought a car, only to find out the dealer gave you one without a sunroof, (yet you paid for it), and only found out after you drove home, and noticed it missing. Would you be a little (if not a lot) upset?

A long time ago, it was Alcantara headliner, then it was Low regen (do you remember that one?), today, it's passenger lumbar, tomorrow its radar, then what? No wait, don't answer that, I really don't want to wake up and find yet another feature gone. Sure, I get Tesla adds features, but the taking away features without telling people first, and having them find out about it the hard way is not nice.

Still like the car, just these little things the company does keeps it from advancing from good to great. I can like the guy (Elon) without liking the absurd things he posts, and I can like the way the company does business, except for some things, this (and some others) being one of them.
Sorry, was the adjustable lumbar support for the passenger seat on some (virtual) paper you signed? Or did you just assume that the car you saw in the showroom would be exactly the car you would get, despite it being common knowledge that Tesla changes their cars constantly?

I know the Alcantara headliner you mentioned as an earlier sin was not mentioned anywhere on the paperwork. I got it on my December 2017 Model 3 and it was gone shortly after. So what? People whined, but it was totally irrelevant.

No, I haven't noticed that low regen was removed. I didn't go to the snow this COVID winter, so I never wanted it. But if so, hooray! One less thing to fool around with. Since I trust Tesla it means to me that they made the car smarter so that it would choose the right regen for the traction available, and it would drive even better on snow and ice that it already did (which was pretty great). Plus it would improve over time. I imagine that set off a big whine-fest as well.

It really doesn't matter what the specific issues are. If you don't trust Tesla then you will never be happy with the car. And you know they hold your life in their hands with what they do with the car, so if you don't trust them then it's just plain stupid to get one of their cars. The firmware updates change the car over and over. You have to trust them.

Last edited:
Unfortunately there are too many people engrained in the Tesla/Elon cult, along with the $TSLA aspect of it. Bringing up lower weight because the lumbar control is gone, leading to better handling is flat-out ridiculous, hilarious, and sad, all at once.
If they are going to remove a feature that is clearly advertised on the car's dedicated web page, they should at least notify you that it is being removed as a courtesy (if not required by law) and not find out by randomly stumbling across a reddit post.

Agreed. Supercharging network is the only reason I am buying a second Tesla but I don't think there will be a third.

Many firmware updates do make the car worse. I think over the lifetime of my X I think only camping mode and easy entry have been worth having. Auto high beams, auto wipers, the entire UI, navigation map have all been pretty much useless or worse than they were.

Reactions: kavyboy
Agreed. Supercharging network is the only reason I am buying a second Tesla but I don't think there will be a third.
Yup, I have a 2018 M3 and a Cybertruck Tri-motor reservation. My main impetus for getting a Tesla was the range, supercharger network, and customer service. While I personally have experienced good customer service for the past 3 years, I’m noticing more and more that the company’s ethics are being placed on the backburner in favor of sales. I hope Tesla reverses course. I’m not saying that they need to give new features for free or retrofit components; just be transparent with the loyal customer base that’s the main driver for exponential growth in the last 4-5 years.

If they are going to remove a feature that is clearly advertised on the car's dedicated web page, they should at least notify you that it is being removed as a courtesy (if not required by law) and not find out by randomly stumbling across a reddit post.
I don't disagree with this perspective - they should do a better job of PR even without a PR dept - but at the same time, we also got items like the heated wheel, auto-dimming mirrors and double-pane front windows for 'free'. And no mention of these items as they came on-stream last fall. I'd trade the passenger's lumbar support for all of those items, no questions asked. Funny how no one (or very few) gave Tesla kudos for adding these items but they get slammed for removing a relatively small feature. Seems like there are more 'anti-fanbois' than 'fanbois' on here lately. ;)

Reactions: alexcue