Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Passenger lumbar support missing from new MY

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@Midnightsun you forgot a few of the positives: laminated dual-pane front door windows; USB stick included for TeslaCam/Sentry; updated center console with storage cover that you don't have to learn how to close with "just the right amount of pressure" nor wrap/cover to avoid getting finger prints and scratches; updated headlights (on MYP only so far mind you); I might be missing a few
If all of this stuff was added after you ordered the car, then I’d say that is impressive. But once a car is ordered based on what you saw and tested in the demo test drive, and then Tesla removes something you thought you were buying within the sticker price, and provides no credit for the omission, that might be considered unfair and perhaps false advertising.

I can kind of buy Elon's rational, but if it wasn't a supply shortage, they should make it a post delivery option like the garage door opener.
I don’t believe the lumbar support is being under utilized. It sounds good but what does underutilized mean? Where is the data? If 60% of Tesla owners don’t use it, then he can claim it’s underutilized. But that 40% who will use it every day are going to feel cheated. My guess is that heated steering wheel is underutilized using the same metrics.

Reactions: 73Bruin
So for the RHD Teslas is it their passengers or drivers side powered lumber is missing since they have different passenger/drivers sides?
Probably passenger side as well unless they are just cheaping out on the NA cars. I'm sure it's not *completely* gone. They have to have a way to repair/replace passenger side lumbar or powered seats for the 1 million+ model 3's and Y's out there that shipped with that feature. Some of them will fail and auto manufactures typically have to carry replacement parts for such cases for a certain number of years.

next week Elon Musk: logs show back seats of all tesla cars almost not used. we are removing all back seats starting tomorrow. oh i forgot to mention, the back mirror too, no signs of people using it. and you pay the same price too and/or i might increase the price tomorrow.

It was ok for you guys to buy a so call $55k car without heated steering wheel before? And its not ok now to buy it without the passenger lumber support you don't even use???
Honestly, Tesla didn't charge you extra when adding new stuffs, and shouldn't complain when it removes some features.
it's not OK when i went for test drive and i expected all features to be the same when i get my car. if there was not a heated steering wheel when i test drive it i wouldnt except my car has the same.

If this is a that big deal to anyone, feel free not to buy the car! There are other good EV options out there for you now. Hard to believe we have a 10 page thread about something as relatively minor as this. And yes, I understand the 'principle' behind it. But if you feel that strongly about it, then feel free to move on to another brand.
Oh fun, another dismissal from someone who is not buying a Model Y currently. This quarter has been a special one for buying a Model Y - cars have been on containment hold until recently so people have been waiting months (and are still waiting), being involuntarily added to a beta Tesla Vision program where autopilot has many limits, and having passenger lumbar removed. These things add up and people are understandably angry.

I have to agree with a lot of people sentiment here, if I order the car and it have certain function I definitely would like to have all my function, it does not matter if I used it often or not used it at all. Basically you only get 99% of what you pay for, I guess some people are ok with not getting all that they have pay for.

As for the Lumbar usage, I can tell without a doubt that my wife and I both use the lumbar often on both the driver and passenger side. We switch who is driving on long distance trip, and the passenger would want to get as comfortable as possible on long trip. We even consider the module that turn the lumbar support into a massager.

If this is a that big deal to anyone, feel free not to buy the car! There are other good EV options out there for you now. Hard to believe we have a 10 page thread about something as relatively minor as this. And yes, I understand the 'principle' behind it. But if you feel that strongly about it, then feel free to move on to another brand.
These aren’t mutually exclusive: some people are angry *and* not buying the car. I was in line to trade my M3P on a new MY, but without radar I have no confidence it’ll be safe for dark snowy mountain roads - that’s a must, because this will be my ski vehicle. The lumbar thing is just adding insult at this point.

So my order is on hold now, and I’m frustrated. I may come back to the MY in a quarter or two when/if Tesla sorts their stuff out. In the meantime I’ll test drive the ID.4 and Mach-E, and maybe the E-tron. One of those might win out, who knows?

The silly thing is that Tesla created this with dodgy communications & crappy customer care. They had a lot of easy repeat customers available, and they sent some of them off to explore other options. That’s just a dumb unforced error.

Will it matter? Let’s watch and see.

I believe you're being dismissive, but you actually raise a great point, for those cross-shopping Tesla against other EVs. After test driving the ID.4 I found it to have incredibly comfortable seats, and the massaging function was a big plus. It's not a "true" massaging seat like you'd find on an S-Class or anything, but powerful enough to make a big difference. And yes, it does have adjustable passenger lumbar ;)

Other ID.4 features were appreciated as well, such as the motorized roof shades, quieter/more insulated cabin, and less aggressive/touchy steering feel. I understand not everyone's going to appreciate every feature equally, but if you want a point A to point B EV that can get you there comfortably, the ID.4 is damn good.

For all those advocating legal action against Tesla for removing lumbar support might want to look at this disclosure in the owner's manual:

PRODUCT SPECIFICATIONS
All specifications and descriptions contained in this document are verified to be accurate at the time of printing. However, because continuous improvement is a goal at Tesla, we reserve the right to make product modifications at any time.

Lol. So? That "disclaimer" does mean you are not legally obligated to deliver what you advertized. You might want to check the law sometime. If you promise something then fail to deliver that has nothing to do with "reserving the right to...". You have to notify customers of changes before they buy it if those features are advertised as a part of the product. They did and have not. End of story.

I've been a Tesla bull since 2013. I've bought three Teslas with a tiny percentage of my stock profits. I'll no doubt buy a few more over time.

Tesla communications suck, and they have done so forever. I think this is because Elon Musk doesn't care about communicating with customers, so there's never a Tesla executive in charge of making that work, at least not for very long. The last one who cared (Jon McNeill) left in early 2018. I absolutely agree that in the current case, Tesla should have let people know what they were doing, but I think it's a real stretch to call a passenger lumbar adjustment control a "promised feature". It's a minor detail.

But I do believe that Tesla is dedicated to making great cars. If your idea of a great car is different from Tesla's, then you will be unhappy with some of their decisions as to what constitutes great, or even what makes things better. And Tesla is playing a long game so better sometimes means two steps forward and one step back. That's how engineering works.

At any one moment you can take some item and say it was better last week. Sure. But the car overall is better, at least so far as Tesla is concerned. If you can't handle this, you'll be unhappy with the cars. If you think Tesla is trying to bleed their customers dry and take advantage of them, then you'll be unhappy with their cars. So don't buy them if that's the case. Somebody else will.

Me, I love the experience of getting a new car every couple of months by way of a significant firmware update. Sometimes it isn't really much better as it turns out (e.g. I couldn't care less about fart sounds and games), at least for me, but if not, then it will be better next time. Meanwhile, the cars are so good that a little wobble just doesn't concern me.
Removing features and lying to customers about "why" is not an engineering issue it's a "f the customer" issue since instead of delivering the vehicle the customer bought they are delivering a lesser vehicle simply to make delivery.

If you think that is an engineering issue, or making the car "better" you are fully buying into the lie. Anyone that believes radar was removed because "pure vision" is better is either foolish or supporting the spin.

Firmware cannot make up for limitations of the hardware. Cameras cannot see in a rainstorm, or fog, where other technologies (like radar) can. The idea that "pure vision" firmware improvements can makeup for these issues is ludicrous.

Removing features and lying to customers about "why" is not an engineering issue it's a "f the customer" issue since instead of delivering the vehicle the customer bought they are delivering a lesser vehicle simply to make delivery.

If you think that is an engineering issue, or making the car "better" you are fully buying into the lie. Anyone that believes radar was removed because "pure vision" is better is either foolish or supporting the spin.

Firmware cannot make up for limitations of the hardware. Cameras cannot see in a rainstorm, or fog, where other technologies (like radar) can. The idea that "pure vision" firmware improvements can makeup for these issues is ludicrous.
So don’t own a Tesla. Problem solved. Since I don’t share your toxic fantasies, I can be happy with my Teslas.

Long thread so I didn't read through it all but is it missing only the motorized adjusting function or missing lumbar support completely? I think if they put in some general permanent lumbar support that wouldn't be much of an issue?

My understanding of the interview was that this is related to the chip shortage so something in the control of the unit. If it’s just the switching, then it should be relatively easy to add back as long as the seats contain the other items. Having had a back seat replaced due to a faulty sensor, I believe the seats come pre assembled so if they were holding cars due to waiting for parts they would have been missing the whole seat, otherwise they wouldn’t be able to add the interior components in the field.

Understand people are upset about this and vision but vision will likely lead to radar being turned off in all cars once it is perfected. Otherwise they’d need multiple software versions to handle multiple hardware configurations.

Also, a lot of the people complaining about features being removed are the same people who have orders on hold because they are waiting for something new that wasn’t on the car when they ordered...

Reactions: DanDi58