Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Passenger Lumbar Support

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am not sure what point is made though. We have a choice of buying a product or not based on what it offers. Completely our decision.
Nothing to do with choice; nobody is forcing me do to anything. My point is that the car Tesla is going to sell me (after taking a non-refundable deposit) is not the same as the one I ordered, and they keep gimping features (like the 75mph autopilot restriction, disabled smart summon, etc) or completely removing them (like passenger lumbar adjustment). The mere fact that I have the choice to cancel my order doesn’t help. I wanted this car (still do) but it’s becoming less and less like the car that I ordered.

There are some issues tied to it. Usually a car purchase has a lot more depending on it. It's not really like buying a phone, you can walk up to the next store and get whatever you want or just walk away without any major impact on your day to day life. Unless you live in a large urban center, you kind of need a car as your primary means of transport.

For example, selling your old car or maybe even being without a car for a while. Now the car you ordered is not the way you want, you're cornered into making a decision. On top of that, just to go pick your car up you'll need to have your bank draft, insurance etc. all set up only to find things are missing from the car. A lot of wasted time and effort. So yes technically "it's a choice" but I would say mentally you had committed to the car the moment you filled out the finance application or insurance info. Not really comparable to any typical product off the shelf.
I see your point there and also probably to lose time in waiting to find out later to have a feature missing that is desired would be disappointing. Plus perhaps if someone is financing then to get the bank to hit credit unnecessarily.

But ultimately, I feel given that all I would have paid is booking fees and not actually started ownership, if it matters buyers has power to back out if there is equal desire for another vehicle due to lack of this feature. I would ask 100 dollars deposit back though, I am sure Tesla would refund if someone can't accept the change in config. The chip shortage is under reported issue by the car makers, it is a HUGE problem and most of them either will have to produce less, or delay the delivery or cut corners somewhere while price will only keep going higher due to the shortage. This is also one of the reasons why used car prices are at unreal level - Carvana paid me 10% more than market value when they bought from me and then put it for additional 5k higher for sale that I thought was insane price for that car. Oh well.

Nothing to do with choice; nobody is forcing me do to anything. My point is that the car Tesla is going to sell me (after taking a non-refundable deposit) is not the same as the one I ordered, and they keep gimping features (like the 75mph autopilot restriction, disabled smart summon, etc) or completely removing them (like passenger lumbar adjustment). The mere fact that I have the choice to cancel my order doesn’t help. I wanted this car (still do) but it’s becoming less and less like the car that I ordered.
I get that, but I would evaluate as a product ultimately what it is offering to me for the price I am paying and if I determine above lack of features makes it not worth I would walk away.

I see your point there and also probably to lose time in waiting to find out later to have a feature missing that is desired would be disappointing. Plus perhaps if someone is financing then to get the bank to hit credit unnecessarily.

But ultimately, I feel given that all I would have paid is booking fees and not actually started ownership, if it matters buyers has power to back out if there is equal desire for another vehicle due to lack of this feature. I would ask 100 dollars deposit back though, I am sure Tesla would refund if someone can't accept the change in config. The chip shortage is under reported issue by the car makers, it is a HUGE problem and most of them either will have to produce less, or delay the delivery or cut corners somewhere while price will only keep going higher due to the shortage. This is also one of the reasons why used car prices are at unreal level - Carvana paid me 10% more than market value when they bought from me and then put it for additional 5k higher for sale that I thought was insane price for that car. Oh well.
I would agree with everything you said, if Tesla willingly let their buyers know about the change and what their options are (eg. refunding the $100 deposit, or reimbursement/credit). We have to acknowledge that the only way we came to know of this is because of this (awesome) active community, reddit and some tweets by the CEO after the cat was out of the bag.

People placing the order now, have no right to complain, changes happen. However, people who ordered when it said "12-way powered front seats" are not getting what they ordered and clearly with how things unfolded, Tesla was hoping nobody would notice.

Reactions: Sunvalleylaw
I get that, but I would evaluate as a product ultimately what it is offering to me for the price I am paying and if I determine above lack of features makes it not worth I would walk away.
Sure, we all have to reevaluate our choices as things change and look at the whole picture, just saying that I’m not going to be happy if what was (still is) my top choice changes to the point that I no longer consider it so and decide to bail and take my “next best” choice after losing the money it cost me to place an order and the time spent waiting on this one.