Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Passenger reactions to full acceleration

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The first night I had my model 3, i picked up my housemate at work. We were the first ones in line at a stoplight with plenty of runway ahead. I punched it. We both got upset stomaches and felt queasy for the next day and 1/2. It no longer makes me sick, I find it fun to show new folks the speed, but I normally drive it in chill mode as standard is WAY TO FAST. You might think I am strange, but i would like an economy mode to conserve energy and provide more range. My Model 3, dual motor, long range will not go the 25 miles round trip to my cape house and back without an additional charge. Slower accelerations and more range is what I would like. For those who want or need the fast car, let them run it in standard mode, for me its chill mode until they come out with a super saver or economy mode!

Correction 250 miles.. The first night I had my model 3, i picked up my housemate at work. We were the first ones in line at a stoplight with plenty of runway ahead. I punched it. We both got upset stomaches and felt queasy for the next day and 1/2. It no longer makes me sick, I find it fun to show new folks the speed, but I normally drive it in chill mode as standard is WAY TO FAST. You might think I am strange, but i would like an economy mode to conserve energy and provide more range. My Model 3, dual motor, long range will not go the 250 miles round trip to my cape house and back without an additional charge. Slower accelerations and more range is what I would like. For those who want or need the fast car, let them run it in standard mode, for me its chill mode until they come out with a super saver or economy mode!

I brought a test drive Raven X home and my wife turned her nose up at it. She had to get in the car to go to dinner because ours was parked out by the Tesla store. She made several comments about how we should be prioritizing spending on this and that.

Ludicrous+ was warmed up. I slammed the pedal. She giggled/slightly moaned like a college chick getting felt up. It was amazing.

Fast forward a few months and I have a P3D+. Again with the hate. Then she drove it and now I have to get her a Y so she can stop using my car when I need it.

I certainly think the quietness of the acceleration also allows you to focus on the feeling of the G's instead of the sounds which also heightens the experience.
A gas car with a transmission with the same 0-60 as a Tesla has more peak Gs because of torque curves and the slight delay of the engine slowing down to match the new gear ratio. The Tesla is a sustained G force

• Disagree
Reactions: Bill Price
I was one of the early deliveries of the 3 in May of 2018. There were very few on the road in SoCal. So I took two friends who’d never ridden a Tesla before for a ride. I went to a side street that had little traffic and opened it up. To say the least, they were impressed. We drove for a couple more blocks until I saw flashing lights in my mirror. Uh oh. The cops! I pulled over and a young cop walks up and asks me if I knew how fast a was going a few blocks before, I guessed 45? No, he said, 60! I apologized profusely and stated I was showing off the car to my friends. The cop did not seem impressed. He went on and on about driving defensively and I was waiting for the inevitable ticket because that’s what California cops do. 5 minutes later he hands back my license and tells me to be careful next time. Then he pauses and says: “You know, I’m on the wait list for one of these.” WOW! What incredible LUCK!

So we then spend another 5 minutes talking about the 3, EVs and their potential use for police departments across the US. Always nice to meet up with a Tesla fan!

My greatest pleasure of ownership is not in the acceleration because I only step down once in a while, but in showing the car to people unfamiliar with them . I can’t think of a single person who hasn’t gone super enthusiastic on me. I have a midrange rwd and everyone is always blown away by the acceleration from slow speed. I rarely do it other than for 1st demo drive because I want the car to last and stay trouble free. I saw the warning that comes on the screen when you put the track version into “launch” mode (maybe it’s the new model s) where it warns you that you are sacrificing the longevity of the car by doing that. That’s why I am glad I never got a demo car. This is our very first New car. My last used car before the used Chevy Volt I sold to buy the M3 was a Honda Acura that I bought for $1,800, drove for 12 years, and sold for $2,000 that I loved to drive. I have always worked on my own cars for everything from transmission replacements to even some body work and painting, so I know what is hard on cars and wears them out faster. My greatest challenge is to get my 72 year old wife and my “old enough to know better” kids to moderate on the “full throttle” behavior every time they get a chance. I know people just love to do that even on a non performance model.
I am getting more and more into using the adaptive cruise control and assisted steering (I turned down full auto nav because the trial usage made me too nervous). The other day on assisted steering I narrowly missed a shovel on the road. I like to stay fully engaged while driving but those features just make trips so much less stressful. I also do like the reserve acceleration for getting out of bad spots in a hurry. Thanks for the sharing.

• Informative
Reactions: JerryEVall
I like to start nice and slow, explaining some of the features of the car. While we are leisurely doing 20mph or so, I tell them there’s a cool feature when you tap on that red navigation arrow on the map. As they are sticking out their hand, I floor it and await their reaction. Nobody has ever touched the arrow :)
Showing my son-in-law (military) my new M3 Stealth Performance I floored it without warning. As he turned green muttering something about 'how many G was that pulling' I realised some advance notice may be needed.
2019.36.2.2 downloaded 2 days ago and another son-in-law (air-force) returns from Afghanistan on Monday. Will try your 'nice and slow' approach and watch his response.

Showing my son-in-law (military) my new M3 Stealth Performance I floored it without warning. As he turned green muttering something about 'how many G was that pulling' I realised some advance notice may be needed.
2019.36.2.2 downloaded 2 days ago and another son-in-law (air-force) returns from Afghanistan on Monday. Will try your 'nice and slow' approach and watch his response.

If the other son-in-law is an actual pilot he'll be fine.

The P3 is quick, but it pulls less than 1 G floored...(roughly 0.85g IIRC)...which is why you can't improve the 0-60 time with stickier tires- it's not accelerating with enough force to need them)

Reactions: nuclearfusion
My X boyfriend has the original Roadster (#90 something of the first ever made) and one of the original S's (#60 something of the first ever made). He used to punch it getting onto the freeway and we would both go 'wweeeeeeeeee' like little kids. It was riding with him for years that inspired me to get my own when the 3 came out- on day 1. Never gets old!!

Have a friend that owned an Opel dealer before we became friends, she didn't when we got to know each other. However she was into cars, especially Opel and didn't like Tesla. She just had this idea of what a Tesla was and that people were stereo types etc.

So one time I asked her if we should take a drive, I demoed the infotainment and talked about features. Then I asked her if she wants to feel the acceleration, sure she said.

So then she got to feel some launches with the 3P, she giggled a lot and after a couple of them she said she now gets why people like Tesla's and that she now wants one but can't justify it because living in the city centre and walking to work.

• Disagree
Reactions: Zigzagmolly
Yeah, I’ve noticed the wives aren’t big fans of that spectacular feature. It’s a guy thing.
Seriously!!! I have had my Model 3 LR AWD for a year on December 1 last year. My son came with me to pick up the car. Within a half mile I was on a bridge entering the freeway. The FIRST thought I had was, "OMG, I am going to have to slow down or I am going to get the first speeding ticket in my life. Now I know why people love to race cars!!" And I am 64 yr old young lady!

The FIRST thing I do when I take someone for their first ride is to NOT tell them and then start flying. They love it!

My absolute favorite thing is being at a stop light with my 14 speakers, sub-woofer and immersive sound blaring amazing music out of my open windows. And the sports car or luxury car or Dodge Ram truck is next to me. I don't look at them...but I know they want to race. In 4 seconds I am a 1/4 mile if front of them and in heaven!!!

Can you tell I LOVE my car?? I have 19,300 miles on it and will have over 20,000 miles on it when it turns a year old. It drives me 47 miles to work and 47 miles home while I listen to awesome music and clap my hands almost the entire time. Heaven!!