Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Passenger restraint system fault - Tesla replacing seat?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

took order of our MR Model 3 with white interior on Dec 22nd 2018.

One day later, the error message 'Passenger restraint system fault' pops up and stays on, no matter if somebody's sitting on the passenger seat or not, it also kept coming back after reboots etc. We did drive around with it for 2 weeks though before we brought it to the service center in Burbank (LA) 2 weeks ago. Got a loaner Model S, so no biggie.

Apparently, a few people had this error message, but all the responses I saw so far were along the lines of - it's a software glitch in the latest version that can be temporarily fixed when moving the seat back and forth (only did research after I left the car at the service center).

The guy at the service center called me after 2 days of trouble shooting and said the seat has to be replaced since it's a hardware issue, not a software issue. One week later he called again and said they had ordered (or got delivered) the wrong seat (black instead of white). He gave me an ETA for the new seat for Feb 4th, that's 4 weeks total at the service center.

Show of hands - who else hadd to get the seat replaced with the same problem?

Cheers

Mine is getting the passenger seat replaced for the same reason but they are returning my car while they wait for the seat. I took it in yesterday and am picking it back up today. Are you keeping your loaner while they wait for the seat?

Mine is getting the passenger seat replaced for the same reason but they are returning my car while they wait for the seat. I took it in yesterday and am picking it back up today. Are you keeping your loaner while they wait for the seat?

Hey, yeah, I had the MS for more than 2 weeks now and I guess I'll keep it till I get my M3 back. Got mine through Entreprise, I think they ran out of in-house loaners at the service center. Might ask for an X just for jokes. Also, don't know if that's a thing or I might just ask to give the loaner back before I get the M3, I still have our old Acura that's been sitting around for occassional trips and ask for a credit on my EAP purchase since they'd be saving on costs for the loaner :)

They didn't let me leave with the car again, citing safety concerns. Full truth is, they'd have let leave with M3 if I promisednot to have ppl sit on the passenger seat and sign a waiver or something.

Hi,

took order of our MR Model 3 with white interior on Dec 22nd 2018.

One day later, the error message 'Passenger restraint system fault' pops up and stays on, no matter if somebody's sitting on the passenger seat or not, it also kept coming back after reboots etc. We did drive around with it for 2 weeks though before we brought it to the service center in Burbank (LA) 2 weeks ago. Got a loaner Model S, so no biggie.

Apparently, a few people had this error message, but all the responses I saw so far were along the lines of - it's a software glitch in the latest version that can be temporarily fixed when moving the seat back and forth (only did research after I left the car at the service center).

The guy at the service center called me after 2 days of trouble shooting and said the seat has to be replaced since it's a hardware issue, not a software issue. One week later he called again and said they had ordered (or got delivered) the wrong seat (black instead of white). He gave me an ETA for the new seat for Feb 4th, that's 4 weeks total at the service center.

Show of hands - who else hadd to get the seat replaced with the same problem?

Cheers
I am having a similar issue and I was told the same thing , thet are having the seat replaced and the estimated time shows one full month.

I went in with this issue last week, but on the driver’s side. I was told it’s either a loose wiring harness connection to the seatbelt latch sensor, or a bad pin on the sensor itself. They reconnected the wiring, but the problem persisted, so they’re bringing me a new sensor next week. It’s been backordered over six weeks, here’s hoping it fixes the warning message.

Had the Tesla Ranger come out today to deal with this problem on my Model 3 (vin 28xxx).
He said the first step is to put a filter in line on the wiring harness to the seat. Apparently they have seen noise on the harness which has triggered this error.

He put the filter in line - and all seems ok now. But will keep an eye on it.

Great guy - and offered to look at anything else I had on my list.

This has come on/off on wife's 3. Now that it's out of warranty, it's coming on more often... Tesla wants $300 to fix it.
$175 harness, rest is labor.

I'm hoping we can prove the issue started well before the 50k warranty, but of course they won't help us prove that.

Knowing service, even if we could, they'd still blame us.

Not really a happy camper when you consider how common this issue is, and the $$$ charge to "clean the A/C" on her car. (Something that we've never had to do to any car in our lifetimes).

The issue is that the magnetic field generated by the passenger seat harness will screw with the sensor. You can move the seat back/forth to get rid of it or pay Tesla (if not under warranty) to put in a magnetic choke on the harness. No seat replacement is needed, just tipping it down to get access to the harness under the seat and putting on the choke - done in 15 minutes through Tesla mobile service.

photo_2021-11-23_15-02-31 (2).jpg

Reactions: Keith Violette