TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Passenger Seat jammed

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by AMPUP, Jun 16, 2014.

1. AMPUP

AMPUP Member

So today I needed to put my passenger seat forward (pretty much all the way). It didn't seem to go all the way and stopped, but the person in the back had enough room so all was good. The problems occurred when I tried to put the seat back again, basically the left hand side (close to driver) seems to want to move but the right hand rail (next to door) doesn't (make a noise but grinds to a halt) and the seat is twisting so I have to release the buttons. I can't see any obstruction, but it wont move. Now my wife cant get in the front seat and with the kids in the back, looks like I cant take the family anywhere until i get this resolved. I have pinged my Service center but haven't heard back yet, based on it usually taking a month to wait for service I thought I would post and get some ideas of anything I can do, with your assistance. :wink:

best

Phil

2. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

I'd call Tesla (rather than the Service Centre) and select roadside assistance. Because your car is basically not drivable, they should be able to get you in right away.

3. AMPUP

AMPUP Member

So I have found the problem....If i raise the seat up and try to move it I can see the motor underneath and the left and right side of the motor moving. The right side is bent and seems to have come out of the hole it belongs in. Looks like a metal bendy thick wire with a square end (I assume the square end goes into something) but for the life of me I can't wiggle it back in.

4. huntjo

huntjo Member

Glad you found the problem! Wonder if this has happened to anyone else? I had a motor go bad in my sunroof, freezing it at like 20% open.
    I have never had to wait for service and my service center responds to calls, email, or even text to the managers cell phone on the same day. Unfortunately due to the last minute nature of my call, they did not have a model S loaner so I had to drive a crappy Hyundai for 24 hrs. If your service center does not respond to you, I agree with Mister 33 in the suggestion to call Tesla roadside assistance directly.

5. AMPUP

AMPUP Member

Well the service center looked at it and basically said they need to order a whole new seat as the mechanism had sheared. Their guess is it wasn't aligned and when it went forward it put stress on the cable. No eta on the new seat though, it's a tan performance seat and I fear it won't be a quick delivery.

6. Urowhiz

Urowhiz New Member

I had a similar problem. The seat got jammed and the motors on the right side rail broke and I now have been told that instead of replacing just the two motors which are damaged, I have to replace the whole seat.
    Does anyone know if it is possible just to repair the Motors rather than replace the whole seat? Who makes the seats?

7. Phinelli

Phinelli Member

Same problem

So, this just happened to me yesterday. I have the same issue. The wire popped out and the right side of the seat will not move. Tesla has told me it will be a month before I can even bring the car in. This is totally unacceptable. My car is 4 months old. And now I can't have anybody in my passenger seat because it is too close to the dashboard.

8. FlasherZ

FlasherZ Sig Model S + Sig Model X + Model 3 Resv

Someone told me the other day (I can't recall who) that the seats take a week or two for the service centers to get... that's likely to be a part of it.

9. Gizmotoy

Gizmotoy Active Member

Pretty big improvement if true. I know I waited nearly 3 months for mine, but that was maybe a little over a year ago. It makes some sense, though. The SCs aren't likely to stock something like seats, and shipping something that big and heavy has got to be ridiculously expensive so it likely goes via the cheapest (slowest) method.

10. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

They said two but it actually took six. However, it didn't jam, a spring broke. Most likely because of all the people who sat in it. This isn't one I would blame Tesla for.

11. slyastro

slyastro Member

Same problem with me! Reported it 2 months ago ... I'm still waiting for the new seat to arrive at Montreal's Service Center!