Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Passenger side camera - see curb and hidden obstacles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No. It's my attempt, with the overhead view, of lane change, curb rash, and obstacle awareness on both sides of the car. I'll still rely on the front and rear camera for parking but with the Rydeen system I'll know potential damage on the right and left sides. And the DVR will record accidents on both sides, which the dash cam can't.

I'm very interested in your progress on this system. Please keep us posted. Perhaps we can start a separate thread on the 360 deg system so that we won't derail this thread further.

The Rydeen Surround View 4pCh 360 DVR system provides an overhead view of the car and all around it. I'm getting it installed on my car in a week or so. The installer is working with an electronics firm to project the images on the touchscreen. I told them it could't be done but they think they may have a solution.

View attachment 64915

I'm very interested in how this turns out. I have an extremely hard time judging the passenger side wheels to curb distant. If had 21's, they would be trashed at this point :)

Prototype 1 was mounted on the mirror, and I quickly found that I need to see both wheels. Once you clear the front wheel that's all good, but when you start turning, the rear wheel will cut into the arc of the front wheel.

Prototype 2 was mounted on the rear wheel well side, and this is a different camera, wide angle waterproof. As it is part of a dual camera dash cam CCTV, it actually doubles as recording of accidents and such.

Notice on the time it's double speed - just to make it less boring for you to watch, not trying to impress anyone here.

A few issues:

- Light and darkness, the shadow of the car in bright sunshine. Lights up ahead and so on, at times, you cannot see everything.

- Screen isn't bright enough in bright sunshine. I am currently using the actual dash cam as "monitor", while it would be better with a separate LCD. I already got one, but the dash cam doesn't have video-out.

- This cheap dash cam (about 80 USD) has some software glitch: Screen turns off after 30 seconds. I can adjust it to no time-out, but every time I restart the camera, it goes back to 30 seconds. The same goes for the PiP function, as this is a dual camera dash cam - it goes back to PiP after power-down. The other settings seem to stay, including date and time, so why not these two?

- A good place to mount it: I had it just next to the instrument cluster, which is fine except when turning the steering wheel, the camera is blocked depending on wheel position. I want it to be in the field of view so I can look at the road and still see this LCD out of the corner of my eye. This only shows the side of the car - no use if you then hit another obstacle.

These issues can all be solved, just needs more work.

For those of you who never scratch your rims and "cannot see the problem" - come to Hong Kong and drive for a week, road design is crazy at times here, especially in some privately run car parks. Having a car as large as the Model S doesn't make things any better. Seeing is believing, watch the video. I will make more videos later which will demonstrate clearly WHY it is necessary to have this "off side view".

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi DITB,
Our building has a very narrow, long and windy ramp in the car park that is difficult to fit two cars. (I've scratched the left tail of the car against the wall). Your idea of the side mirror camera is great. I would be grateful if you could please let me know where to get one from and how I can get it installed.
Many thanks,
Vanessa

This is an old thread but I'll add a comment. Two years ago I added a video camera system to my van. I used 2 cameras, one for the side and one rear facing. I used this monitor XY-2063 3.5" TFT LCD 0.53W Car Rear-view System Mirror Monitor - Black which accepts 2 camera inputs and auto switches the view based on which camera has power. And I used these cameras Eagleyes EC-TH1029 1/4" CCD 120' Wide Angle Car Rearview Camera w/ Night Vision - Black (DC 12V). Took a fair amount of work to do the install but I was really pleased with the result.

Hi DITB,
Our building has a very narrow, long and windy ramp in the car park that is difficult to fit two cars. (I've scratched the left tail of the car against the wall). Your idea of the side mirror camera is great. I would be grateful if you could please let me know where to get one from and how I can get it installed.
Many thanks,
Vanessa

Hi Vanessa,
See this thread: https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/the-1st-8-cameras-dash-cam-dvr-installed-on-a-tesla.41744
Price is around 12k HKD at the moment for a standard install. Mind you, "standard" in this sense is quite comprehensive. If you have special demands, price might very well change.

My experience is only with the Rydeen system. I've had it for more than a year now and I'm not sure it's worth it. The camera resolution is poor, especially in comparison to the touchscreen Tesla cameras images. The side views are not sufficiently deatiled to completely avoid curb rash nor is the overhead view. They help but are not foolproof. But they are great for avoiding larger obstacles that are hidden from view in the driver's seat.

An as I indicated earlier in this thread as well as several others, showing the Rydeen images on the touchscreen has proved to be impossible. No one, and I mean no one, has solved the challenge of projecting images on the touchscreen from anything other than a Tesla camera. About 6 months there was a poster who claimed he had found a solution, but he disappeared from sight about a week later probably because he never did find a solution.

• Informative
Reactions: Owner