Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Passenger side door dent repair cost

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone,

Today, I saw my car with a dent in the parking garage. No clue who did it. I have submitted a claim to progressive and it's going to take 2 - 3 business days to approve it.

How much is it going to cost me? Will the Bodyshop replace those parts or just do a paint job to cover it up? How shall I approach insurance( progressive) to cover the maximum?

I called TESLA service center in Houston and they aren't taking any appointments for body repairs for the next few months and they have suggested going with a 3rd party body repair shop. I am afraid if 3rd party providers can use OEM parts instead of TESLA original parts.

Does anyone have experience in repair these dents? I would like to know the process and a better way to deal with this.

e5e63f02-6dda-439b-818e-4dceddf2acdb.jpg
IMG_0203.JPEG
IMG_0205.JPEG

• Informative
Reactions: KenC
You call this a "dent" ?

The aluminium cannot be stretched, you will need to get a new door.

At least you don't get your rear quarter panel damaged, this whould had required
cutting the panel in middle of the rear passenger door and removing the rear glass roof.

BTW, what was the piece on the floor in the first picture?

I guess, Sentry was not running?

You call this a "dent" ?

At least you don't get your rear quarter panel damaged, this whould had required
cutting the panel in middle of the rear passenger door and removing the rear glass roof.

haha, it's big damage. unfortunately, the sentry wasn't running.
The piece on the floor was from the passenger side mirror.
It might have been caused by the maintenance team working at my apartment property. The leasing office doesn't have cameras at that spot. But they kind of agreed it might have been caused by their team. They asked me how am I getting it repaired by insurance or body shop and let them know how would I proceed with it. I am not sure if they would pay entirely for this damage. Maybe they want to make it up to me.

Last edited:
It will cost you whatever your insurance deductable is. That's several thousand dollars worth of damage at least. File a police report. It's interesting how your front bumper cover got the scratch, and the damage to your door.... looks like your door was open at the time it was hit.

It might have been caused by the maintenance team working at my apartment property.
Looking at the size of the "dent" and the hight, it seems that a vehicle was a pickup truck manoeuvring and hit your car in reverse with the rear left corner.
The damage on the front bumper might had occured before or later.
Fill a police report since the driver left the scene without leaving a note, and also this gives more credibility for your insurrance claim.

Reactions: KenC and vzaitsev
Hi everyone,

Today, I saw my car with a dent in the parking garage. No clue who did it. I have submitted a claim to progressive and it's going to take 2 - 3 business days to approve it.

How much is it going to cost me? Will the Bodyshop replace those parts or just do a paint job to cover it up? How shall I approach insurance( progressive) to cover the maximum?

I called TESLA service center in Houston and they aren't taking any appointments for body repairs for the next few months and they have suggested going with a 3rd party body repair shop. I am afraid if 3rd party providers can use OEM parts instead of TESLA original parts.

Does anyone have experience in repair these dents? I would like to know the process and a better way to deal with this.

View attachment 687592View attachment 687593View attachment 687594

Reactions: vzaitsev
My car got hit when I was staying at a resort one night by a hit and run driver in the parking lot. Thankfully sentry caught it and was able to id the car by the front license tag. My damage was far less than yours, but over $3K later it was fixed. Here's a closeup of the rear wheel well damage and there wasn't much more than this. Amazed what repairs cost these days, but to make it "new" again involves a lot of work I guess.

Attachments

• IMG_20200128_123515.jpg
    IMG_20200128_123515.jpg
    268.5 KB · Views: 442
Reactions: vzaitsev
Looking at the size of the "dent" and the hight, it seems that a vehicle was a pickup truck manoeuvring and hit your car in reverse with the rear left corner.
The damage on the front bumper might had occured before or later.
Fill a police report since the driver left the scene without leaving a note, and also this gives more credibility for your insurrance claim.
I am guessing it was a dumpster. Maintenace was moving the dumpster next to the car. it was my guess but I don't have video proof.

Is there a way to retrieve a video from TESLA when "sentry Mode" wasn't enabled? I have emailed TESLA and waiting for a response on it.

I am guessing it was a dumpster. Maintenace was moving the dumpster next to the car. it was my guess but I don't have video proof.

Is there a way to retrieve a video from TESLA when "sentry Mode" wasn't enabled? I have emailed TESLA and waiting for a response on it.
Go look for that dumpster, to see if there's a matching corner that hit your car. Should be red paint on it. Crazy that it happened, but we've all seen crazy stuff happen.

You call this a "dent" ?

you should do a youtube search for tesla paintless dent repair....