Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Passenger Side Mirror Glass Popped Out - Parts Prices are Ridiculous!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was remembering last week when I had to pay to have passenger side mirrors installed on my cars in the '70s and 'early 80s as they weren't very common back then. Most people didn't even know they were available.
So thankful they are standard equipment.

I've always hated that if you had to build a car from the service department that it would easily be 5X to 10X purchase price. By the time you replace a $70 timing belt in a Toyota Land Cruiser, your out $1,000, and I have have two of them besides the Tesla. Ouch!

At least it's only every 100K miles, but it has been 2X for one and 1X for the other and coming due again.

Any one want a Land Cruiser? Only cost $97 to fill up today.

I emailed Tesla parts and this is what they email me:

Ext Mirror Glass, Premium, Domestic, RH M3 (1130652-00-A) = $90.00

EXT MIRROR ELEC-MECH PREMIUM DOM. RH M3 (1110778-99-H) = $385.00

I know Tesla parts are expensive but this is a little much. I did a little research and found the parts for way cheaper.

FWIW, my wife hit a garbage can with our BMW i3's mirror, and the glass fell out and broke. Everything else was fine but the glass.

It was ~$300 for JUST the glass part like in your first pic.

EXT MIRROR ELEC-MECH PREMIUM DOM. RH M3 (1110778-99-H) = $385.00
I replaced this on ours. A few points:
  • I was uncertain until the part came in, but it includes the glass, so you don't need to also buy the glass for $90.
  • For your $385 you get a lot more than the actuator. It's the entire assembly. The horizontal arm, the silver base (but not the body-colored "skullcap". The wiring harnesses to support heating, dimming and movement.
  • It was $350 when I bought it, and it went up almost immediately after.
  • At least when I bought it, you couldn't buy sub-parts separately, except the glass. And you have to buy the skullcap separately and paint it. This was a pisser for us, since most of the assembly was fine.
Here's the part:
IMG_5414.JPG

• Informative
Reactions: 3laine
What???
Why isn't this covered under warranty if she didn't damage it. If it just fell apart for no reason, why don't they cover this? I don't get it.

Dealerships will probably find ways to not cover warranty if they don't have to. I used to work for BMW long time ago, same thing. They told me they would have covered it BUT since there was a crack on the actuator, they won't. What can you do. Guess just gotta pick our battles.

I replaced this on ours. A few points:
  • I was uncertain until the part came in, but it includes the glass, so you don't need to also buy the glass for $90.
  • For your $385 you get a lot more than the actuator. It's the entire assembly. The horizontal arm, the silver base (but not the body-colored "skullcap". The wiring harnesses to support heating, dimming and movement.
  • It was $350 when I bought it, and it went up almost immediately after.
  • At least when I bought it, you couldn't buy sub-parts separately, except the glass. And you have to buy the skullcap separately and paint it. This was a pisser for us, since most of the assembly was fine.
Here's the part:
View attachment 478888

I found the whole mirror assembly on ebay for $150 to $250. More parts are available now so cheaper. I was going to buy and replace everything if I couldn't find the parts. At the time I looked, most of the side mirrors were driver side.

So when I called Tesla parts, I asked them for a picture of the parts. The guy said they didn't have it. He seemed annoyed at me for asking. I asked him a couple of times for pictures of the parts I was inquiring about. Not too bad if you get the whole mirror assembly for $385.

Dealerships will probably find ways to not cover warranty if they don't have to. I used to work for BMW long time ago, same thing. They told me they would have covered it BUT since there was a crack on the actuator, they won't. What can you do. Guess just gotta pick our battles.

why is a cracked actuator not covered? Are they saying that is evidence you hit something even thought the housing is unblemished?

Started driving away from home and noticed the passenger side mirror was at an odd angle. Drove a few miles, parks in a lot to check it out. It had fully separated from its seat and held in place by the wire. The beside was remarkably clean. I could see no obvious damage anywhere. I futzed with it for a few mins and it popped back in. Tried to fold using the controls in the car... seemed to operate fine. It’s been fine for the last few days. Having the dealer look at it next week.

though I would google it to see if it’s a known and common problem. This thread is the only thing I found. Again, I am a 2017 model S. No idea when it popped out or why. No sign of any trauma... popped back in and seems to work. No one else experience this?

why is a cracked actuator not covered? Are they saying that is evidence you hit something even thought the housing is unblemished?

Started driving away from home and noticed the passenger side mirror was at an odd angle. Drove a few miles, parks in a lot to check it out. It had fully separated from its seat and held in place by the wire. The beside was remarkably clean. I could see no obvious damage anywhere. I futzed with it for a few mins and it popped back in. Tried to fold using the controls in the car... seemed to operate fine. It’s been fine for the last few days. Having the dealer look at it next week.

though I would google it to see if it’s a known and common problem. This thread is the only thing I found. Again, I am a 2017 model S. No idea when it popped out or why. No sign of any trauma... popped back in and seems to work. No one else experience this?
You’re in the Model 3 forum, discussing your S, which may be different. But at least on the 3, yes, the mirror pops onto the backing via a circular snap thingy maybe 5 or 6 cm in diameter (as visualized in my memory, so ya know...).

You’re in the Model 3 forum, discussing your S, which may be different. But at least on the 3, yes, the mirror pops onto the backing via a circular snap thingy maybe 5 or 6 cm in diameter (as visualized in my memory, so ya know...).

oops... didn’t notice. Just looking for popped mirror issues.... tried to delete my post, I guess there is a time limit for edits...

thanks for the reply... I’ll try a model S Forum.