Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Passenger Side Mirror Heating

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

Model 3 LR owner since June.

Since its started getting colder and we've experienced more rain I've started using the Side Mirror and rear window heater/defrosters a lot.

I noticed very quickly that the passenger side mirror doesn't heat up at all when the defroster is turned on-- driver's side and rear window heats normally.

I took the car into Tesla service and they told me that this issue was firmware related and that its something that would be fixed on a future update.

While Tesla service has been excellent so far-- this seemed a little far fetched. How is one of the side mirrors not heating up a software issue? Seems like a faulty heating device.

Wondering if anyone else is experiencing the same problem? If its a software issue-- others should be in the same boat.

Just wondering how you know it's not heating up. Did you feel it or is it just not defrosting?

At first I just noticed that the drivers side and rear window would defrost and the passenger side mirror wouldn't.

Then i tested it-- hit the defroster on, left it for a few minutes and did the "touch test". Diver side mirror was warm to the touch. Back defrosters were warm to the touch. Passenger side mirror -- cold.

• Informative
Reactions: dusdev
27C1A1A8-9EE7-44B6-B729-CB32CDD49F1A.jpeg
E11C213E-C053-437E-996A-A924C424D207.jpeg

Sitting in my car reading TMC .... outside temperature +6 C.
My mirrors are heating fine. V9.0 44.2

Last edited:
Reactions: Darren F
Hi @Nikkin,

I'm experiencing the same issue. A few days ago I noticed this after a snowfall when, in a rush, I only cleared the centre portion of each side mirror. Turned on the rear defroster and drove as normal. After a few mins (at least 5), the driver's side mirror was fully cleared. The passenger's side remained as is. I completed the drive (~ 30 mins) and the passenger's side mirror still didn't clear. Of course the rear defroster had turned off automatically sometime in between as its timer had run out and I didn't notice.

Just adding another data point to your original observations.

• Informative
Reactions: 5_+JqckQttqck
I asked the service rep about this recently and he said it's a known issue, that it's a software glitch that's preventing the main controller telling Vehicle Controller Right (VCRight) to heat the mirror. It'll be fixed soon, likely by Jan.

Well then that confirms what the Service Centre was telling me.

Thanks for the info.

• Informative
Reactions: Anto
I asked the service rep about this recently and he said it's a known issue, that it's a software glitch that's preventing the main controller telling Vehicle Controller Right (VCRight) to heat the mirror. It'll be fixed soon, likely by Jan.
Version: 42.4. Got the same information for the mobile service technician today.

• Informative
Reactions: Anto
Nikkin and 1Step2NoGas,

I also have this same issue. My Service Center said "all is well." My right side is working, but at a lower temperature. Did either of you finally see a fix? Also, do you (or anyone else) know about the rear defogger/defroster being deactivated when the outside temp is about 75 degrees?