Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Passenger side mirror not folding out

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Boourns

Mar 9, 2016
Dallas
Twice now after a minute or two of driving I have noticed that the passenger side mirror is not folded all the way out. Stopping the car and manually folding the mirror via quick controls fixes the problem. Since it's only happened twice I can't tell if there's a specific series of events that causes this or if it's just a bug. This happen to anyone else? If so does its frequency increase?

• Love
Reactions: beachmiles
Haven't had my 3 for even a week yet but I haven't experienced any problems with the mirrors folding or unfolding. I'd contact service to get an appointment scheduled if it continues to happen.

Folding side mirrors has always seemed like such a gimmick to me. Adding all that complexity in order to make your car 2" skinnier? It's just one more thing to break and hurt the long term reliability and resale value of the car.
If they MANUALLY folded in for those rare situations where 2" really makes a difference, that's one thing, but putting motors, actuators, and controllers all for that occasional 2" just seems like a unneeded toy.

Reactions: akidesir
Folding side mirrors has always seemed like such a gimmick to me. Adding all that complexity in order to make your car 2" skinnier? It's just one more thing to break and hurt the long term reliability and resale value of the car.
If they MANUALLY folded in for those rare situations where 2" really makes a difference, that's one thing, but putting motors, actuators, and controllers all for that occasional 2" just seems like a unneeded toy.

The 2" makes a world of difference for me. It lets me open my wife's or my door wide open without worrying about dinging each other. It's really nice when putting the baby in the car.

Come to Europe for daily driving, parking, etc. Those 2'' suddenly will look much more important then, and not just occasionally.

Yup. happened to me about a dozen times. Took it to Service center. Guess what happened... "couldn't recreate the problem"

it happened a lot more when I first received the car. I think it'll get better with time or a simple grease and lube of the gears from the SC could do the trick. Still waiting for it to become more prevalent before I take it in again...

Yup. happened to me about a dozen times. Took it to Service center. Guess what happened... "couldn't recreate the problem"

it happened a lot more when I first received the car. I think it'll get better with time or a simple grease and lube of the gears from the SC could do the trick. Still waiting for it to become more prevalent before I take it in again...
That will be the "disable all issues when SC wifi is in range" toggle

Had this happen once so far as well. Folding and unfolding also fixed it. I had a friend in the passenger seat and had them try and manually fold out the mirror but the damn thing wouldn't budge. Not going to try to do it manually again, I'm sure it will probably break something...

I had this problem on my model S it might not go away I would bring in to start documenting issue (this was my second visit for mirror issue)
My fix was the SC lubricated the mirrors ... here is the write up

Concern: Customer: The side mirrors are not opening properly, consistently. When cold out is
more noticeable
Pay Type: Goodwill - Service
Corrections: Exterior Mirrors General Diagnosis
Cleaned and lubricated both side mirror assemblies and tested operation. Mirrors are
working as designed at this time.

This has happened to me four times now, while driving. Seems to coincided with some press sequence of P/D/R stick. The right side mirror comes in part way, and the car needs to be slow or stopped to fix. It happened yesterday while in multilane traffic, so was actually quite a safety issue as I couldn't see very well when changing lanes. Given that it seems to coincide with some use of the P/D/R stick, I'm betting it's a possible software issue.