TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Passenger side mirror not folding out

Discussion in 'Model 3: Interior & Exterior' started by Boourns, Apr 3, 2018.

1. Boourns

Boourns Active Member

Twice now after a minute or two of driving I have noticed that the passenger side mirror is not folded all the way out. Stopping the car and manually folding the mirror via quick controls fixes the problem. Since it's only happened twice I can't tell if there's a specific series of events that causes this or if it's just a bug. This happen to anyone else? If so does its frequency increase?

• Love x 1
  2. Skidmark

Skidmark Member

#2 Skidmark, Apr 3, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2018
    Never happened to me yet - sounds like a defect. I've seen this happen on a loaner S I had where the driver's side mirror wouldn't completely fold out about 2 out of 5 times.

3. PoitNarf

PoitNarf My dog's breath smells like dog food

Haven't had my 3 for even a week yet but I haven't experienced any problems with the mirrors folding or unfolding. I'd contact service to get an appointment scheduled if it continues to happen.

• Like x 1
  4. randy1077

randy1077 Model X60->75 Vin 180XX. Model 3 Vin 074XX

It happened to me once about 10 days ago. I'm hoping it was a one time only deal.

5. ZERO260

ZERO260 Member

When I summons my car the mirrors food in. The drivers side won't open most of the time with toggling the switch manually. Plan to get it looked on my next service.

6. rhaekar

rhaekar Member

It's happened to me twice. I have to click the fold and then unfold button to get it to work correctly but the can has to be stopped or moving very slowly to do it.

7. Boourns

Boourns Active Member

Yeah that's the only inconvenience is you have to stop.

8. slipnslider

slipnslider Member

Folding side mirrors has always seemed like such a gimmick to me. Adding all that complexity in order to make your car 2" skinnier? It's just one more thing to break and hurt the long term reliability and resale value of the car.
    If they MANUALLY folded in for those rare situations where 2" really makes a difference, that's one thing, but putting motors, actuators, and controllers all for that occasional 2" just seems like a unneeded toy.

9. rhaekar

rhaekar Member

The 2" makes a world of difference for me. It lets me open my wife's or my door wide open without worrying about dinging each other. It's really nice when putting the baby in the car.

• Like x 2
  10. MWex

MWex Member

Happened to me for the first time today. Sounds like there is a real issue, I will bring it up as well when I bring in my car for service next time.

11. AustinPowers

AustinPowers Total Smeghead

Come to Europe for daily driving, parking, etc. Those 2'' suddenly will look much more important then, and not just occasionally.

12. Bodefett

Bodefett Member

this has happened a couple of times, but no big deal. I just adjust while driving

13. omar

omar Member

Yup. happened to me about a dozen times. Took it to Service center. Guess what happened... "couldn't recreate the problem"

it happened a lot more when I first received the car. I think it'll get better with time or a simple grease and lube of the gears from the SC could do the trick. Still waiting for it to become more prevalent before I take it in again...

• Like x 1
  14. Twiglett

Twiglett Single pedal driver

That will be the "disable all issues when SC wifi is in range" toggle

• Funny x 3
  15. Bodefett

Bodefett Member

I just went into the settings, and pressed the fold windows button twice, and they popped out to the correct position.

16. wayne530

wayne530 New Member

I've run into this issue 2-3 times recently. As everyone else has mentioned folding and unfolding the mirrors typically fixes it. FWIW, never had issues with the MS side mirrors after nearly a year of having the car.

17. PoitNarf

PoitNarf My dog's breath smells like dog food

Had this happen once so far as well. Folding and unfolding also fixed it. I had a friend in the passenger seat and had them try and manually fold out the mirror but the damn thing wouldn't budge. Not going to try to do it manually again, I'm sure it will probably break something...

18. rhino2627

rhino2627 Member

I had this happen once within the first couple of days owning the car. Hasn't happened in the last 2-3 weeks.

19. Zero CO2

Zero CO2 a long term goal

I had this problem on my model S it might not go away I would bring in to start documenting issue (this was my second visit for mirror issue)
    My fix was the SC lubricated the mirrors ... here is the write up

Concern: Customer: The side mirrors are not opening properly, consistently. When cold out is
    more noticeable
    Pay Type: Goodwill - Service
    Corrections: Exterior Mirrors General Diagnosis
    Cleaned and lubricated both side mirror assemblies and tested operation. Mirrors are
    working as designed at this time.

20. p0w3rup

p0w3rup New Member

This has happened to me four times now, while driving. Seems to coincided with some press sequence of P/D/R stick. The right side mirror comes in part way, and the car needs to be slow or stopped to fix. It happened yesterday while in multilane traffic, so was actually quite a safety issue as I couldn't see very well when changing lanes. Given that it seems to coincide with some use of the P/D/R stick, I'm betting it's a possible software issue.