Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Passenger side mirror not folding out

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This happened to me for the second time this morning. I took delivery last August so I’m hoping this is just a random software glitch and not a sign of more long term/chronic issues. The first time it happened (a few months ago) just the driver side didn’t unfold. This time it was both sides.

Folding side mirrors has always seemed like such a gimmick to me.

I bet you aren't parking often in European cities with a medieval street plan. Very often you forget to fold in your driver's side rear view mirror (manually) only once. After that, you get the pleasure of having to install a new one.

In the case of Italy, even driving in some towns requires folding mirrors (and a passenger to give you hints about how to drive while you ignore you car's ultrasound sensor alarm sound and its pleas to STOP immediately.)

This happened to me for the second time this morning. I took delivery last August so I’m hoping this is just a random software glitch and not a sign of more long term/chronic issues. The first time it happened (a few months ago) just the driver side didn’t unfold. This time it was both sides.
Bring the car to the Service Center and have them trouble shoot..

Just found this thread here, I'm also having this issue with my new Model 3 SR+. Already took it in to a Service Center and they said they replaced the complete mirror. The issue is still there however, had it happen again today. It only seems to happen at my work place, I've never had this happen at home or any other location yet which is really strange. I got it on TeslaCam and decide to make a vid which is hopefully a bit more helpful for the Service Center when I return there.

Has anyone else had this issue fixed yet or still have to fold/unfold a few times?

Reactions: beachmiles
Just found this thread here, I'm also having this issue with my new Model 3 SR+. Already took it in to a Service Center and they said they replaced the complete mirror. The issue is still there however, had it happen again today. It only seems to happen at my work place, I've never had this happen at home or any other location yet which is really strange. I got it on TeslaCam and decide to make a vid which is hopefully a bit more helpful for the Service Center when I return there.

Has anyone else had this issue fixed yet or still have to fold/unfold a few times?

Mine has done the passenger side only once and both mirrors once in about 11 months . Wonder if it’s just a software glitch that comes up rarely?

Mine has done the passenger side only once and both mirrors once in about 11 months . Wonder if it’s just a software glitch that comes up rarely?

Try restarting your mcu

Well for me it has happened at least 6-8 times already in the 4 weeks I own the car, always at the same work location. It just seems weird to me that it hasn't happened anywhere else yet. Since they replaced the mirror already I guess it's a software issue yeah.

I'll try a restart and see if it keeps working now. But I've done a few restarts already for some other things and still had it happen after that.

Well for me it has happened at least 6-8 times already in the 4 weeks I own the car, always at the same work location. It just seems weird to me that it hasn't happened anywhere else yet. Since they replaced the mirror already I guess it's a software issue yeah.

I'll try a restart and see if it keeps working now. But I've done a few restarts already for some other things and still had it happen after that.

Interesting. I don’t think there are any location specific mirror settings but that is odd that it’s only happening at the one location.

There's a function where it folds the mirrors automatically in certain locations, like at home for entering a narrow garage. Thing is, I've never touched this setting so it shouldn't be active. :p And that still wouldn't explain why only the passenger side mirror is having this problem. But yeah.. it does seem location related somehow. I'll have to experiment a bit more, maybe have sentry mode off and remove USB for a few days and see if I still have the issue.

There's a function where it folds the mirrors automatically in certain locations, like at home for entering a narrow garage. Thing is, I've never touched this setting so it shouldn't be active. :p And that still wouldn't explain why only the passenger side mirror is having this problem. But yeah.. it does seem location related somehow. I'll have to experiment a bit more, maybe have sentry mode off and remove USB for a few days and see if I still have the issue.

I’m having this same issue; any resolution? Passenger mirror won’t unfold at work parking garage. Same location every time, one mirror.

I’m having this same issue; any resolution? Passenger mirror won’t unfold at work parking garage. Same location every time, one mirror.

Strange isn't it? To have this issue just at that same location every time without any reason. I still have this issue as well but my Service Center is trying to look into it, sent them some timestamps today of when it happened. Have to wait and see what they come up with. Last time they could see it in the logs and replaced the whole mirror. That unfortunately didn't fix it so it seems more likely to be a software issue. I just don't get what the specific location has to do with it. I never have this issue anywhere else.

I suggest you contact your Service Center as well and give them some timestamps of when it happened. See what they can do for you. I'll post an update here again when I have some more info from Tesla Service.

I got some more info from Tesla today. They sent me this by email:

m7UnKtl.png

They're aware and it'll hopefully be fixed in a software update soon, lets wait and see. :)

• Informative
Reactions: MacGreiner
Just updated software to 36.2.1. A first for me, my driver's side mirror is locked in folded position, making the car unsafe to drive. I did 2 reboots (Power car off, plus console reboot) and did not fix issue. Does not respond to mirror toggling out (but does up/down). Anyone else have this issue? My earliest mobile appt is next week! tia!

Had similar happen to drivers side mirror - Once.
It folded out except for a 1/2" sloppy void, but not fully folded out. It left the mirror aimed at the side of the car and the mirror could not be adjusted to see cars at the side.
Tried Chat: but no reply from humans after waiting about 10 minutes or so.
Went out to car to ask for service and the mirror folded out & was fixed! Amazing. I use "Easy Entry/Exit" in case it matters.

Just updated software to 36.2.1. A first for me, my driver's side mirror is locked in folded position, making the car unsafe to drive. I did 2 reboots (Power car off, plus console reboot) and did not fix issue. Does not respond to mirror toggling out (but does up/down). Anyone else have this issue? My earliest mobile appt is next week! tia!

try locking and unlocking the car using the key card a couple of times.

So after my last message here on August 23rd nothing has happened. There were a few new software versions already and the problem is still present for me. I have noticed however that this only happens when I'm in Belgium and not in the Netherlands (where I live). Every time it happens there also is no LTE connection. Sometimes there's just no connection at all but most of the time it's an E connection. How this is all related to a mirror not folding out I have no idea.. In any case, I still have to fold/unfold 3 to 10 times every time this happens before it actually folds out fully, just depends on luck I guess.

I've sent many messages to Tesla through email and SMS but I'm no longer getting a reply from them. Really not happy with this, it's my only annoyance with the Model 3, for the rest this car is absolutely perfect to me.

I just had something similar happen twice in the last couple days. In both cases the driver's side mirror unfolded only part of the way. I was able to move the mirror with my hand and it was not locked in place. I only noticed after driving a short distance, so i'm not sure if it is unfolding but not locking in place, or if it never fully unfolded. Folding the mirrors from the UI and then unfolding them fixed it both times. I wonder if this is something to get looked at? It has been fairly cold (40F) here the last couple days and both times happened after it was parked outside, so i wonder if that is related.

Well in my case there has been no difference in summer and winter temperatures. It just seems to be a software issue where the mirror doesn't keep unfolding untill the end point like it should. The weird thing for me is that it has never happened yet in the country where I live but once I go over the border to Belgium this issue just keeps happening very often. I'm thinking it has something to do with the E connection, whenever there is no LTE. But I'm not sure, can't really test it easily since here in the Netherlands I pretty much always have LTE while in Belgium it's almost always an E connection.