Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Passenger side mirror not folding out

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just updated software to 36.2.1. A first for me, my driver's side mirror is locked in folded position, making the car unsafe to drive. I did 2 reboots (Power car off, plus console reboot) and did not fix issue. Does not respond to mirror toggling out (but does up/down). Anyone else have this issue? My earliest mobile appt is next week! tia!
yeah - this!

This type of stuff only happens to my wife. She calls me while driving..... I tell her when traffic permits (We are in Los Angeles, so traffic always permits, it should actually be a setting), to go to quick controls and press the fold button.

"How am I supposed to do that while driving?" she blurts.

"Honey, just put it in Auto Pil......." I start

"How do I do that?", I sadly hear next.

"I'll fix it when you get home......" is all I can offer.

Hours later and I get a text from her. Your stupid car fixed itself, you don't have to do it. Stupid car.

• Funny
Reactions: Firehuntah
Have had it happen multiple times in the same parking garage exclusively so far. Toggling the folding in the settings ended up working to return it to the correct position. It seems like somewhere the position of the mirror is lost. It will still move the motor but the movement is not correctly centered in the travel.

Folding side mirrors has always seemed like such a gimmick to me. Adding all that complexity in order to make your car 2" skinnier? It's just one more thing to break and hurt the long term reliability and resale value of the car.
If they MANUALLY folded in for those rare situations where 2" really makes a difference, that's one thing, but putting motors, actuators, and controllers all for that occasional 2" just seems like a unneeded toy.

Just turn off "auto fold" and you'll have the car you want.

This has happened to me on the drivers side 3 times in the last week. Maybe the latest software update will resolve it.

I gave up on a software update fixing it a very long time ago. I still have this issue almost daily for pretty much 6 months already.

But for me it's only when I'm in Belgium. In The Netherlands where I live I have no issue at all. Only difference I can tell is the network, mostly E connection in Belgium and LTE in The Netherlands. Others who have reported this issue here have had this happen in parking garages, where connections are probably pretty bad as well. So could this just be network related somehow?

I really hate having to fold/unfold the mirrors 10-15 times often before I can finally drive off from work. Tesla also isn't responding anymore to my emails and SMS. I think I'll just have to make a service appointment soon to get their attention.

Edit: So I didn't actually know this but searching the forum a bit it turns out the antennas for LTE and WiFi are actually in the mirrors. This is interesting if it really is network related. Maybe I can do some tests by covering the mirrors, forcing the E connection and see how the mirrors behave when folding/unfolding.

Last edited:
I had this happen to me again after I was parked in my garage at home, and a not particularly cold day, so I kind of doubt my issue is temperature related now. I grabbed a teslacam video to see if it failed to fold out right away or it just didn't lock into place, but haven't looked at it yet.

Edit: So I didn't actually know this but searching the forum a bit it turns out the antennas for LTE and WiFi are actually in the mirrors. This is interesting if it really is network related. Maybe I can do some tests by covering the mirrors, forcing the E connection and see how the mirrors behave when folding/unfolding.

So.. I tried this today by covering both mirrors in plastic (for paint protection) and aluminum foil. Managed to get the connection down from LTE to 3G but that wasn't enough. I've only had this issue happen with an E connection, mirrors work fine with 3G and LTE. Guess this was a bit of a failed experiment. :D There's not really any other way to force an E connection while staying in The Netherlands (since I haven't had this issue yet here). Maybe I'll just have to visit a parking garage as well and hope the connection is really bad there.

Going to try something else the coming few days by connecting my Model 3 to my phone through a WiFi hot spot and see if the mirror still has issues unfolding while I'm in Belgium (where I pretty much have this issue daily). Now I don't know if the cellular connection is still active in the background or not when WiFi is active so this test might fail as well. But if the mirror works flawlessly like that then we can at least be sure it's a connection issue.

For anyone else having this issue, when you have it again, could you check what your connection is at that time? If it's LTE, 3G, E or just no connection at all?

I think I've found what's causing this problem. Like explained in my previous post, for 4 days straight now I've been testing if it would still happen when the Model 3 is connected to WiFi instead of using a cellular connection. Just using my phone's LTE connection and creating a WiFi hotspot for the car to connect to. For all 4 days this has actually worked, the passenger side mirror opens perfectly now. Same with LTE and 3G connection, no issues there. Only when there's an E connection or just no connection at all is when the mirror fails to open completely. Then it can actually take up to 15 folds and unfolds before it's finally in position.

Would be nice if others having this issue can verify that when they have this issue there's an E connection or no connection at all. But I really think (95% sure) this is it. Keep in mind I have this issue almost daily, not having it for 4 days straight just cannot be a coincidence, I'd have more luck winning a lottery. ;)

So.. how it is related I'm still not sure. Having a good cellular connection really shouldn't be a prerequisite for opening a mirror. But somehow for the Model 3's it apparently is. The WiFi and LTE antennas are in the mirrors so that could be why, some interference or something when there's a bad connection. I'm going to try and get this on video in the next few days, showing how it keeps failing to open with an E connection, then connecting to WiFi and having it open instantly. Then I'll make an appointment with Tesla Service and show them that video and the info I have. Really hope they can somehow fix this very annoying issue. At least I can already partly fix it myself by just connecting to my phone's hotspot, that's already less annoying. But ofcourse that's no real fix. ;)

I have also this problem in Portugal. After making an appointment in service center, they have replaced right side mirror. But i still have that problem.
I can confirm, that the mirror does not open when internet connection is E.
Hope that this problem could be fixed.

• Helpful
I have also this problem in Portugal. After making an appointment in service center, they have replaced right side mirror. But i still have that problem.
I can confirm, that the mirror does not open when internet connection is E.
Hope that this problem could be fixed.

Thanks for sharing that the problem is also network related for you. Just like with your Model 3, they also replaced the mirror on my Model 3 which didn't help at all.

I have a service appointment on January 21st, lets see what they can do about it now that we're pretty much certain it's network related. I'll keep you all posted here in this thread. ;)

Another data point for you:

2020 Model 3 P3D- in the United States here -- I've had this issue happen to me at least 5 times now, including the very day that I picked it up from being "lubricated" by the service center. Nearly every time it's happened, it has been in the underground parking garage where I park it for work. It's not a "zero bars" cell situation down there, but it's close. I've always had a suspicion there was something location-based about this issue, although before I read this thread I was wondering if perhaps it was because I have the location saved as "Work" in the navigation system. (I do not have, nor have I ever had, it set up to "auto fold at this location"). One wrinkle: I had this issue happen to me at a grocery store as well-- and not somewhere I think of as having a bad cell reception. I've generally just been noting the exact time each time it happens, and I'll be passing it along to the service center so they can dump the logs and maybe get the firmware updated to fix this (extremely annoying) issue.

• Informative
Ok so I went to Tesla Service today and I don't even know why I was even there. Waited there for 3,5 hours to get my car back and all they said is that they need more time to investigate this problem and wait to get a response from Tesla HQ so I needed to make a new appointment which is now on February 17th, 4 weeks later! They couldn't or maybe didn't want to even tell me what they did with my car today while I waited so long. I get the idea that they didn't really do much.

In any case, Tesla isn't familiar with this problem even though many people report about it here on these forums. I guess the thing is that most people who have it only have it on occasion so they don't mention it to Tesla since it's not really a big problem. For me it's different since I have it almost every day which is very frustrating. The place I work at, there's always a bad network connection. And that's exactly when this problem happens. They didn't even believe me when I said it was network related and started laughing about it untill I pushed on and confirmed a few more times that it in fact really is network related.

So yeah, lets just go back there after 4 weeks again and see what they have to say. I accepted this once today but I really do expect an explanation the next time I go there.

Here’s a question for you, Firehuntah:

Have you tried to see if it has something to do with the “phone as key”? I’m wondering if it’s something about where your phone is in relation to the mirror antennas that’s causing the passenger side not to get the message that the car is being unlocked.

What I’m going to try (and would love your data if you try it too) is 1. opening the car from the passenger side door instead of the driver side, and 2. approaching the car without my phone anywhere nearby and using the key card to unlock it. I think it might say something useful if the problem goes away under one or both of those scenarios.

• Helpful
Here’s a question for you, Firehuntah:

Have you tried to see if it has something to do with the “phone as key”? I’m wondering if it’s something about where your phone is in relation to the mirror antennas that’s causing the passenger side not to get the message that the car is being unlocked.

What I’m going to try (and would love your data if you try it too) is 1. opening the car from the passenger side door instead of the driver side, and 2. approaching the car without my phone anywhere nearby and using the key card to unlock it. I think it might say something useful if the problem goes away under one or both of those scenarios.

Don't think I have tried that. I have tried using the keycard instead of my phone but I believe my phone was still connected as well. Will give that a try as well and see how that works out.

I did have a hard time getting it on camera though, in that video I posted, when I actually had my phone mounted inside to film from that perspective. I had it on airplane mode as I didn't want the Model 3 to stay unlocked so it was not connected. I used only the keycard to unlock and for about 6-7 times I didn't get it to actually fail, it kept working every time even though there was an E connection. Only after I took the phone out and just tried it without filming from the inside it actually failed to unfold again when unlocking with my phone. So perhaps it is connected to phone as key somehow. Will definately give this a few more tries the coming days. I'll be switching to a keyfob if that turns out to be the problem. :p Or maybe wait a bit longer and see if Tesla can fix it first.

As for opening the passenger side door first, that won't work. I actually did try that and the mirror still didn't fold out completely. This with phone as key again.

Last edited:
I tried this today in my parking garage a few times, and neither opening the passenger door nor using the keycard (with my phone well out of range) resolved the issue.

That's too bad. I guess in my case it was just luck then. Or bad luck I should say as I was actually trying to have it fail at that time. ;)

I'll try and experiment with it a bit more, still have 3 weeks to go till my next service appointment anyway..

Edit:
Even when your phone is out of range, if it has a network connection it is still connected to your Tesla I believe, just not as a key but for other things. You should try using airplane mode on your phone, which blocks all connections, and then open with keycard. See if that changes anything. That's what I'll be trying.

Even when your phone is out of range, if it has a network connection it is still connected to your Tesla I believe, just not as a key but for other things. You should try using airplane mode on your phone, which blocks all connections, and then open with keycard. See if that changes anything. That's what I'll be trying.
I didn't mention it, but I actually tried it both ways. First time with phone in airplane mode (although car had just locked a minute or so prior), and then later that day with phone up on 4th floor of my building while car was in sub-basement parking lot. Let me know if you find anything different.

Too, bad, though -- I was trying to figure out why on earth the signal strength might have anything to with this issue, and took a wild guess that "ok, phone as key is your phone making a bluetooth connection, maybe bluetooth antennas are in the mirrors as well and maybe one mirror knows the car is unlocked but the other doesn't(???!?)." Not that that makes any sense, but then again, nothing connected with this bug makes any sense. Can't even hypothesize about what software or hardware issue would lead to: Car detects unlock signal + has internet connection = both mirrors unfold, but car detects unlock signal + NO internet connection = only driver mirror unfolds