Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Passenger side window crack - any experiences?

Ikonic

Mar 18, 2021
UK
Did a search and doesn't seem to have come up before in the UK, so thought I'd check in here.

Sod's law, had the Model 3 less than a week and we woke up today to find the passenger side window has big crack in it. :mad: We're guessing that a truck has come by during the night and flicked up a huge stone that has pinged straight into the side of the car. I suppose I should be happy that it isn't in the bodywork.

I've seen plenty on windscreens but was wondering if anyone on here has had a side window replaced/repaired? I'm presuming its covered by the insurer similar to a windscreen crack, but is it the sort of thing you'd trust autoglass with? Or would you be going direct to Tesla? I don't really wanting to be forking out £300+ directly.....

Mine is the new 2021 model which I think has the double paned glass so I'm guessing I need to ensure any replacement that occurs is done to that spec?

Durzel

Jul 17, 2019
Bath, UK
Windscreen cover, despite its name, almost always covers all windows.

Autoglass ought to be able to fit it without issue, but they'll need to get the glass from Tesla anyway. The only complication with fitting the glass is alignment, but that's easily manipulated.

dan223

Apr 29, 2019
Essex
If there is an impact mark then try your insurance, otherwise if there is no obvious impact it maybe something tesla replace under warranty. Though i'd think there is less chance of it being stress related for a passenger window, normally it happens on one of the windows where there is considerably less movement allowed (any non moving glass in the car).

Ikonic

Mar 18, 2021
UK
Thanks all.

It looks like a stone has been flicked up and impacted into the side of it I'd guess - the mark is smack bang in the middle so would be surprised if it was stress related.

Good to know re: insurance treating it similar to windscreen - had plenty of windscreen chips over the years but never deal with a side window before!

HenryT

Jan 29, 2020
Manchester
Presumably sentry cameras didn't record anything?

(In a parallel universe, we were able to identify a truck which knocked our gatepost over as it was recorded on a Ring doorbell).

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC